X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
    I never understood why this guy didn't make it big.
    I remember when he was right on the cusp of going monster. "Someday, Someway" was all over the NY airwaves in 81 and he sounded like the next Elevator Music Emperor (move over, Elton). Then... nuffin.'

Maybe something happened to miss his moment, or maybe he just didn't want that, but Billy Joel drank his milkshake.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The guy playing guitar at Potbelly's just played Neil Young's Harvest Moon.

Nice touch.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
        I never understood why this guy didn't make it big. Great voice, catchy lyrics, as you say, power pop. He's probably better known for playing Buddy Holly in La Bamba. Saw him when he ws touring in the late 80s. Great show too.
        You must have seen him with Graham Maby playing rhythm guitar. I went to see this band called The Silos at a small club in Portland, Maine in the late 80's, and they're rolling in road cases with G. Maby stenciled on the side. Now Graham Maby is a great bass player, best known for the first few Joe Jackson albums, and I'm thinking, one of these guys must have bought his old equipment. Nope, Graham Maby himself, playing bass for The Silos.

Ended up getting to chat with him a bit before and after the show, and he said he was getting ready to go out on tour playing guitar for Marshall Crenshaw, which led to the inevitable, "which do you like playing better, being a bass player or playing guitar?" I believe the answer was either one, as long as I'm playing.

Classic Graham Maby bass riff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnaUL8OpBck
        Last edited by rufus; 07-18-2017, 07:39 PM.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          You must have seen him with Graham Maby playing rhythm guitar. I went to see this band called The Silos at a small club in Portland, Maine in the late 80's, and they're rolling in road cases with G. Maby stenciled on the side. Now Graham Maby is a great bass player, best known for the first few Joe Jackson albums, and I'm thinking, one of these guys must have bought his old equipment. Nope, Graham Maby himself, playing bass for The Silos.

Ended up getting to chat with him a bit after the show, and he said he was getting ready to go out on tour playing guitar for Marshall Crenshaw, which led to the inevitable, "which do you like playing better, being a bass player or playing guitar?" I believe the answer was either one, as long as I'm playing.

Classic Graham Maby bass riff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnaUL8OpBck
          He's on all of Look Sharp. Very, very good bass player. "Baby Stick Around" has one of the greatest bass riffs ever. That's how you build a skeleton.
          Last edited by Kepler; 07-18-2017, 05:44 PM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Lot of great bass players in that late 70's post-punk scene. Maby, Bruce Thomas with Elvis Costello, Bruce Foxton of The Jam, probably a few more I can't recall right off. Move into the early 80's and you can add Mike Mills from REM.

Bruce Thomas might be one of the best bass players to ever wield the instrument.

Comment

Been playing Linkin Park all day. I do love Hybrid Theory and Meteora but, and I know I'm in a minority here, I love Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns more.

Fitting song: What I've Done.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                Been playing Linkin Park all day. I do love Hybrid Theory and Meteora but, and I know I'm in a minority here, I love Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns more.

Fitting song: What I've Done.

A few years back, they were my son's favorite band and he played them in the car a lot.

What I've Done was my favorite of theirs of what I heard.

Comment

70s Rock Playlist of about 250 songs...

Coz I watched Dazed & Confused last night and feeling nostalgic.

This is such a great playlist.

Comment

One of the greatest musicians you've likely never heard of, Sean Costello. Here he is crushing Double Trouble on 5 strings after blowing an e string at the start.

I met Sean in a small bar in Marquette, Michigan one summer night about 10 years ago. I heard live music, so I just walked in the door to see what was going on. Now I'd never heard of the guy, but it was a lot like finding Sid Crosby playing in a Thursday league game on a night off during the season at your local rink. I've seen a lot, but I've never seen a live performer like Sean. I was just completely blown away by this nice looking, generic white kid's prodigious talent.
                    Between sets he was sitting by himself at a table with a beer and some CD's. I went over and my first words to him were, "Man! What in the world are YOU doing HERE?" (It turned out a member of his band was from Marquette and they had been playing up there each summer for years as a sort of get away.) We talked for a bit and he was really just a shy, sweet, friendly and very humble kid, who you'd never guess was considered one of the greatest young blues guitarists in the world. I purchased a cd and tried to over pay, but he absolutely insisted on giving me my change. We talked a bit more before he went on for his next blistering set. I remember being sincerely struck by just what an enormously likeable young man he was.

Here is Sean having some fun and showing a little of his virtuosity in Antwerp Belgium, 2007.

Sean was found in an Atlanta hotel room a day before his 29th birthday, dead from a drug overdose. After years of struggling with mental health issues, Sean had finally been diagnosed with bipolar disorder shortly before his death. Friends and family all firmly believe Sean wanted to live and that his death was entirely accidental, which is the same conclusion the coroner came to. In his memory they established the Sean Costello Memorial Fund for Bipolar Research.

That eponymous album I picked up in Marquette, "Sean Costello", remains one of my favorites. Here's a track off it, Sean's killer version of Al Green's "I'm a Ram"
                    Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 07-21-2017, 02:30 PM.
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Roger Waters tonight at the United Center.

Most excited.

Hey you White Ha-House... haha... charade you are!

Been chasing that epic mind blowing concert experience since Floyd at Camp Randall in 94.

Just might get it tonight.

Taking the boy. He needs a Floydian experience before it can no longer happen.

He's excited too.

Comment

Hearing some RUSH today.

Normally I go for a concert boot or occasionally one of the few studio albums that I still listen to every once in awhile (Signals... 2112...).

Today I decided that All the World's deserved a listen.

I was correct.

Might even do Exit next.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          Roger Waters tonight at the United Center.
                          "Name the blonde woman who destroyed Pink Floyd?" (Adapted from a David Lee Roth joke, but works just as well with Waters or Phil Collins).
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            "Name the blonde woman who destroyed Pink Floyd?" (Adapted from a David Lee Roth joke, but works just as well with Waters or Phil Collins).
                            Dave outgrew Van Halen, briefly. Eat 'em And Smile is awesome 80s spray cheese. The follow-ups...are admittedly more hit or miss. Not unlike the first Van Hagar album, 5150, and it's sequels.
                            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-25-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Cleaned up my used record store haul, and so far, so good. For being as filthy as they, the ones I've listened to sound pretty good.

And there's a reason he didn't catch on with American audiences, but I've always been a Lloyd Cole fan. Currently just spellbound by this track from his first solo record I picked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNIX64tNse4

Comment

Roger Waters – 7/22/17 United Center

Nice audience recording of the show I was at.

Band really sounds great.

Was a very good show. I'm too jaded and have been to too many concerts to be mind-blown anymore. Had I never seen Floyd, David or Roger before, it likely would be up there as a pinnacle concert experience.

My kid loved it though declaring it the best show he's ever seen. This is what I was hoping to get out of this jaunt, so mission accomplished.

He got to a "Floyd" show and loved it. Lifetime memory just like some of our earlier important concerts.

My only real quibble is that too much reliance was placed upon video instead of lights.

Showing me video footage is too much of a guide on my experience. I don't care for it. U2 did this also during their J-Tree tour earlier this summer and I didn't like it then either.

I want some control over my experience. I found myself closing my eyes or looking away from the screens as I got bored with stock news footage of current events and pictures of Trump, Putin Sessions, etc. Luckily, this wasn't done at all times.

Other than that, there was a lot to like.

Got Pigs – which absolutely destroyed Trump in video/illustration – so I've now seen all of Animals (my fav Floyd album) live except Pigs on the Wing II.

Also did all three parts of Another Brick, which is cool as I love parts 1 and 3.

Welcome to the Machine was a highlight too.

Other cool (cliché?) Floydian tidbits included the flying pig (during Pigs of course), a combo of inflatables (the stacks) and a giant screen down the middle of the arena that created Battersea, surround sound for effects and lasers during Brain Damage/Eclipse and Numb.

Oh yeah and the songs from the new album come off live really well. Have never liked Roger's solo stuff but the new album is decent to good.

Oh yeah 2... Long time David/Floyd and Roger collaborator Jon Carin on slide is so nice.
                                Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-26-2017, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X