X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    EDIT: Oh, and don't forget - ANYTHING by Toby Keith.
    Any country since Hank Sr. croaked.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Any country since Hank Sr. croaked.
      I wouldn't go that far. I don't hate George Strait. Unlike some around here, I also don't hate the Eagles (though they're hardly pure country). And Brad Paisley can be clever with his pop culture/self-deprecating songwriting.

Comment

I wouldn't go that far. I don't hate George Strait. Unlike some around here, I also don't hate the Eagles (though they're hardly pure country). And Brad Paisley can be clever with his pop culture/self-deprecating songwriting.
        I'm sure I'm being overly harsh. Country has good bones. The commercial crossover crap that has dominated the industry for 30 years is unlistenable pop pablum, and the harder stuff is entangled with socio-politics that needs an acid bath.

But there has to be some that isn't sh-t. The flipside of Sturgeon: the 10%.
        Last edited by Kepler; 08-02-2017, 01:11 PM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
          One less person on my island.

(Although that one probably wouldn't make my Top 10. Definitely Maybe, maybe...)

Comment

I'm sure I'm being overly harsh. Country has good bones, it's the crossover crap that has dominated the industry for 30 years is unlistenable pop pablum, and the harder stuff is entangled with socio-politics that needs an acid bath.
            You are being too harsh, but I'm overly harsh on a lot of artsy-fartsy 70s dreck, and not harsh enough on a lot of 80s "fretwanking & spandex" schlock. So, we're even.

Crossover crap like Taylor Swift and "bro-country" acts like Florida-Georgia Line, Blake Shelton, Luke Bryan, etc. They can go to hell.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            One less person on my island.

(Although that one probably wouldn't make my Top 10. Definitely Maybe, maybe...)
            I have a deep, visceral hatred of all things Oasis. I can remember in middle school when every guy with peach fuzz and an acoustic would hack away at "Wonderwall" whenever girls requested it. Pretty sure that's where it started.
            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-02-2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Taylor Swift
              She's adorable with that cute little rat face, tho.

Not sure this is real country or hipster country nostalgia, but in limited quantities it's good.
              Last edited by Kepler; 08-02-2017, 01:21 PM.
              Cornell University

Comment

You are being too harsh, but I'm overly harsh on a lot of artsy-fartsy 70s dreck, and not harsh enough on a lot of 80s "fretwanking & spandex" schlock. So, we're even.

Crossover crap like Taylor Swift and "bro-country" acts like Florida-Georgia Line, Blake Shelton, Luke Bryan, etc. They can go to hell.

I have a deep, visceral hatred of all things Oasis. I can remember in middle school when every guy with peach fuzz and an acoustic would hack away at "Wonderwall" whenever girls requested it. Pretty sure that's where it started.

Jon Sudano does the only acceptable version of this here.

Check out his channel and his 700k followers.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

More country than most so-called "country" that's out there today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJd5atXr1Iw
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Ryan Adams does an excellent version as well.

Can't stand Oasis.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Every single cover video is the same dammed thing. I don't get the attraction people have to seeing that.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Not sure this is real country or hipster country nostalgia, but in limited quantities it's good.

It hasn't said anything at all about momma, or trains, or trucks, or prison... or gettin' drunk. Not a country song.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          More country than most so-called "country" that's out there today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJd5atXr1Iw
                          I don't think Hank done it this way.

In case there's confusion out there in the world today, Here's a country song for a reference.

Edit: I also meant to say: This is pretty good, thanks!
                          Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 08-02-2017, 08:35 PM.
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Every single cover video is the same dammed thing. I don't get the attraction people have to seeing that.
                            I'd say they maybe Smash mouth fans but I don't think Smash mouth has 700k fans.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              It's mildly amusing in that it exposes how so many popular rock songs are based around the same set of major chords, just structured a bit differently. Beyond that, I agree.

Comment

This could go in a couple of different threads but I'll leave it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTt0k3GvmOY

Comment

Working...
                                X