X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    "An Evening With Buddy Guy & Jonny Lang" at the South Shore Music Circus tonight. Never been to that venue but from what I understand it's a giant tent with seating all around and the stage revolves. We saw Lang last year in Cranston, RI and it was a pretty good show. Buddy Guy is 81 so it's hard to say how much longer he'll be touring.

Hoping it's not as mind numbing at last weekend.
    Picture this, a medium size circus tent with Fenway Dump style bleacher seats sitting out in the sun all day with temps hovering around 90 with the dew point in the 70's. Sweltering to say the least. Jonny Lang said, "welcome to the sauna" and prob lost 10 lbs during his set. Go outside for a brief respite, the mosquitos were waiting. We only hung around for a half hour of Buddy Guy.
    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Sneaker Pimps: Bloodsport
      Sneaker Pimps: Becoming X
      Zero 7: Simple Things
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Lots of traveling so big update.

dx --- RS12 -- RS03 -- Album
        1..-..2..-..2..-..The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
        2..-..1..-..1..-..The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
        515..-..519..-..380..-..The Beach Boys - Sunflower - really liked this
        516..-..530..-..441..-..No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
        517..-..516..-..317..-..Eminem - The Eminem Show - I forgot how good this album was
        518..-..535..-..474..-..Otis Redding - Live in Europe
        519..-..528..-..426..-..Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
        520..-..524..-..420..-..The Beatles - With The Beatles
        521..-..510..-..265..-..Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory
        522..-..522..-..412..-..Massive Attack - Mezzanine
        523..-..534..-..468..-..Elton John - Elton John
        524..-..531..-..444..-..Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
        525..-..537..-..487..-..The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
        526..-..511..-..267..-..Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin' Simon - Im still not sure this doesn’t belong lower.
        527..-..533..-..453..-..Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
        528..-..515..-..316..-..No Doubt - Rock Steady - first half kinda sucked but the last half was good.
        529..-..520..-..384..-..Def Leppard - Pyromania - I’ll never really understand this era; boring but not totally offensive
        530..-..514..-..307..-..Roxy Music - Avalon - much better than country music but still not my favorite
        531..-..517..-..327..-..Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill - the singles are good, everything else was absolute rubbish
        532..-..518..-..379..-..Bruce Springsteen - Greetings from Asbury Park - Ugh this was a chore to get through
        533..-..529..-..435..-..PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love
        534..-..536..-..484..-..Merle Haggard - Branded Man
        535..-..538..-..497..-..Public Enemy - Yo! Bum Rush the Show
        536..-..521..-..387..-..Roxy Music - Country Life
        537..-..512..-..283..-..Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left - the only thing that kept this off the bottom was because he didn’t completely sell out to bad pop, he just doesn’t seem to be any good. Will re-evaluate after finishing all other albums of his on the list.
        538..-..532..-..452..-..Madonna - Music
        Last edited by dxmnkd316; 07-30-2018, 09:16 PM.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Mike Eidelbes, of Inside College Hockey fame, had a thread on his twitter account about bands that should have toured together. Some that people listed, including a couple of pretty funny ones:

Asia and Europe
          Vanilla Ice and Cream
          Gin Blossoms and Tonic
          Boston and Chicago
          The Cars and Fuel
          NWA and The Police
          Prince and Queen
          Yes and No Doubt
          Spice Girls and Red Hot Chili Peppers
          Better Than Ezra and Ezra
          The Guess Who and Who
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Avalon is a masterpiece. My go-to for demo-ing a new piece of stereo equipment.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              Avalon is a masterpiece. My go-to for demo-ing a new piece of stereo equipment.
              I liked the first song, I'd heard it before and I suspect a number of people have.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                I liked the first song, I'd heard it before and I suspect a number of people have.
                Listen to it again. And not just for the songs, let it wash over you, experience it. And play it loud. It's a technical masterpiece as well, some of the best work Bob Clearmountain and Bob Ludwig ever did. Of course, the better the system it's listened to on, the better those small details jump out at you.

I've probably played it 15 times over the past year, bought the SACD multi-channel mix, which is another technical masterpiece, and have a UK vinyl copy on its way, said to be even better sounding than the US version. Can never get tired of this record.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  Listen to it again. And not just for the songs, let it wash over you, experience it. And play it loud. It's a technical masterpiece as well, some of the best work Bob Clearmountain and Bob Ludwig ever did. Of course, the better the system it's listened to on, the better those small details jump out at you.

I've probably played it 15 times over the past year, bought the SACD multi-channel mix, which is another technical masterpiece, and have a UK vinyl copy on its way, said to be even better sounding than the US version. Can never get tired of this record.
                  I'll get back to it eventually. I'd love to revisit my list when I'm done. There's a sort of bias introduced when you are going in order of someone else's list. For instance, since Merle Haggard's record was so low on Rolling Stone's list, I might have artificially ranked him too low. THere's a lot of movement in my lists compared to RS and I'd be interested to see how I rank things the second time through. Might be interesting to listen to the list chronologically too.

That and I'm hoping to have a better appreciation for more genres by the time I'm done. So maybe I see another drastic change if I have a better appreciation for glam rock bands like Roxy Music.
                  Code:

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I4v8VJ0LRgA

Bloody brilliant.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

That whole album is a great piece of work. My favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkO47eYo_T8
                      Last edited by rufus; 08-03-2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Body bags and droppin' bombs
                        The Pentagon knows how to turn us on

Dayum...

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Body bags and droppin' bombs
                          The Pentagon knows how to turn us on

Dayum...
                          L7 is the shizzle.

Edit: never listen to Shirley on an open highway. Just sayin'.....
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            L7 is the shizzle.
                            I'd already heard "Sh1tlist" of course, but the rest of that album is killer.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              I'd already heard "Sh1tlist" of course, but the rest of that album is killer.
                              Eff Courtney. L7 was the real Riot Grrrls.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Eff Courtney. L7 was the real Riot Grrrls.
                                See also: Seven Year B1tch and Bikini Kill

Comment

Working...
                                X