• Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    You are pretty harsh.
    Prettier than Bonnie Raitt anyway.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Wu Tang Clan has a new album out on 10/13/17.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        **** your stereotypes. This girl can wail. She however is not the exception.
        I don't buy a lot of albums anymore... (does anybody?) but I have Alabama Shakes. Brittney Howard is a real force of nature.

Here's a real stereotype breaker to fall in love with ---> Joss can tear it up.

I take this little girl in small doses, but this is an absolutely murderous performance.

Nothing wrong with the Queen of Soul back in the day.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
          Wu Tang Clan has a new album out on 10/13/17.
          I know what my daughter is getting for Christmas...
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
            Wu Tang Clan has a new album out on 10/13/17.
            For those of you who may be watching The Orville TV show, did they make a Wu Tang Clan reference during the latest episode as a dispenser of wisdom? I assumed so, but since I've never actually heard a Wu Tang Clan song, I can't be sure.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              For those of you who may be watching The Orville TV show, did they make a Wu Tang Clan reference during the latest episode as a dispenser of wisdom? I assumed so, but since I've never actually heard a Wu Tang Clan song, I can't be sure.
              You might have heard one or two, but didn't know it. Gravel Pit made the rounds in clubs when it was out.

A buddy saw them not too long ago, and he said half of them looked bored, like they didn't want to be doing this at this stage of the game, they wanted to branch out like RZA did (he is acting and directing now).

That being said, RIP ODB. Wu Tang is just not the same without him.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I had no idea Kate made that noise.
                Last edited by Kepler; 09-26-2017, 06:54 AM.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

http://societyofrock.com/lost-footag...stop-watching/
                  A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Shannon Hoon would have been 50 today.

Wow... where did the years go?

Comment

A grave injustice has been perpetuated upon the world of music for many years now.

I have never seen any member of Led Zeppelin in concert and I consider them one of my all time favorites.

Just scored 2 tix for Robert Plant in Chicago at the Riviera in February

Chance to fix a glaring hole in my concert going experience.

Should have done Page and Plant in 96 but was broke for a couple years in there and figured I'd catch them down the line and just have never made Plant's tours a priority even though I collect the shows and like them.

Can't really think of any of the classics that I haven't seen that I need to. Not interested in the Stones or The Who (like em both but not favs anyway) and have seen the rest including any 80s bands.

Plant was a definite one though and I've always asked myself...

Why? WHY!?!?!

Comment

So yeah...

Robert Plant 11/9/93 Milwaukee

Comment

My only problem with Plant is that he didn't take care of his voice and instead smoked and drank (various things on both accounts) as he pleased, as is the case for almost all rockers over the age of 40. He can't hit the notes he used to, and from what I've heard on his latest albums, he just isn't all that impressive at this point.

Page, however, can still play guitar like he did in the 70s. That's not very surprising, I suppose. Regardless, I'd love to see Page live, regardless of the band he joins for the event.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            My only problem with Plant is that he didn't take care of his voice and instead smoked and drank (various things on both accounts) as he pleased, as is the case for almost all rockers over the age of 40. He can't hit the notes he used to, and from what I've heard on his latest albums, he just isn't all that impressive at this point.

Couldn't disagree more except on the range - it's not what it once was, but why would it need to be? I don't want to see him doing the young Plant wailing away when he's in his 70s.

I think Robert has had a great 10-15 years here towards the end of his career including his work with Alison Krauss, The Band of Joy and now the Sensational Space Shifters.

Dreamland and Mighty ReArranger are really good albums too, going back to 2002.

Sure... 85 through the early 90s had some regrettable stuff, but I had some regrettable stuff in the 80s too - weird decade for sure.

Anyway, I've listened to a lot of recent shows (last 8 years) and I certainly wouldn't be bothering if they weren't worth the trip to Chicago in February.

Comment

Of course that is just my opinion and all are entitled to their own blah, blah, blah...

But along those lines and since I'm so wretchedly bored at work right now...

Jimmy Page has never been amongst my favorite lead guitarists. I like him and I believe he is the perfect fit within the context of Led Zeppelin, but he may not even be in my top 10... certainly not in my top 5.

Dunno why.

Zeppelin is the only all time favorite band (there are 5) that doesn't include one of my guitar heroes.

In no order, favorite rock (not blues or jazz) guitar players...

Top Pantheon:

Jerry Garcia
                              David Gilmour
                              Trey Anastasio
                              Steve Howe
                              The Edge

That's really it and then there are a bunch of guys that I like, but aren't up there... Johnny Marr, Warren Haynes, Jimmy Page, George Lynch, Eddie Van Halen... etc

Comment

In terms of musicianship, Zep is great the way the Stones, the Who, Pink Floyd, The Beach Boys, or for that matter the Beatles are great -- nobody* is on the cosmic all-star team by themselves, but it all fits together.

(It's true of vocalists as well with another exception*.)

Of course, they all have terrific song writing and lyricists, so maybe there's the difference in what makes the greatest bands great.

* Exception: The Ox; exception two: Mick
                                Last edited by Kepler; 09-29-2017, 01:36 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X