X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    You're currently in the lead for least overlap with my experience: I have heard 2 of these albums, and I have heard of just 5 of these acts. I'm taking it as a homework assignment.
    Rilo Kiley - I think you'll like them. Execution of All Things is likely their most popular album, perhaps most up your alley. Released in 2003 or 2004.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Rilo Kiley - I think you'll like them. Execution of All Things is likely their most popular album, perhaps most up your alley. Released in 2003 or 2004.
      I'm going to bull through all his stuff. I have a lot of gaps in my musical knowledge -- basically, if you're white and you debuted after 1983 I've never heard of you.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's... soothing. I tend to find this genre as all sounding alike: (but that criticism always says more about the listener than the listened to) incidental music in a Manic Pixie Dream Girl ironic romcom montage. OTOH, it would have spoken to me in a voice like thunder when I was 19.

To every thing there is a season.

And I must admit, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, which lives right next door, is to me a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm going to bull through all his stuff. I have a lot of gaps in my musical knowledge -- basically, if you're white and you debuted after 1983 I've never heard of you.
          Well, they're a band from Los Angeles that made it big in Omaha, when that city was going through a musical revival of sorts. The band members are roughly my age.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Islands I'd like to be shipwrecked on:

1. Manhattan

huge gap

2. Île de la Cité
            3. Lübeck
            4. Lindau
            5. Does Singapore count?
            Maybe, but I've def. seen some bad reviews:

One star- wouldn't recommend.
            -- Snake Plissken

Two thumbs down. Very unfriendly. Terrible trip.
            -- The Warriors

If places like Singapore count, I believe Slap is already stranded.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

It's... soothing. I tend to find this genre as all sounding alike: (but that criticism always says more about the listener than the listened to) incidental music in a Manic Pixie Dream Girl ironic romcom montage. OTOH, it would have spoken to me in a voice like thunder when I was 19.

And I must admit, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, which lives right next door, is to me a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
              Soothing depends upon the song. And a lot of people think it really jarring when listening to the lyrics. It's like they tried to temper the morose lyrics with the soothing sound on many of the tracks.

Comment

Soothing depends upon the song. And a lot of people think it really jarring when listening to the lyrics. It's like they tried to temper the morose lyrics with the soothing sound on many of the tracks.
                This may well be true. Many songs need to be listened to several times before they start working into you. I loathed Marquee Moon the first time I heard it, now I think it's excellent. And people say the same thing about Trout Mask Replica, which still leaves me annoyed and unsatisfied.
                Last edited by Kepler; 08-01-2017, 10:06 AM.
                Cornell University

Comment

You're currently in the lead for least overlap with my experience: I have heard 2 of these albums, and I have heard of just 5 of these acts. I'm taking it as a homework assignment.
                  Beatles
                  Chris Stapleton - Bluesy country. The guy has written about 30 major country (and non-country) music in the last ten years. He finally did a solo album and took home just about every award in country music in 2016 (and should have won for Tennessee Whiskey in 2017). He would have won album of the year Grammy in 2016 if Taylor Swift had released 1989 in any other year.
                  Eric Church - Country/rock.
                  Norah Jones - jazz/blues/pop - An argument could easily be made that this isn't her best album, but it has my favorite song of hers on it (Chasing Pirates)
                  Rilo Kiley - Alt - This was the best of their albums, but Silver Lining on Under the Blacklight is my favorite song of theirs
                  Smashing Pumpkins - Kind of goes without saying
                  Taylor Swift - I think this was the best of her albums. I might get some ridicule for this selection but it's one of the best produced albums I've heard in years in the pop world, YMM(greatly)V.
                  Tedeschi Trucks - Classicish rock. Midnight in Harlem has my favorite guitar solo of all time. Derek Trucks absolutely kills it.
                  The Who - No explanation needed.
                  Zwan - This was Billy Corgan's band after Smashing Pumpkins broke up. It's nothing like anything Smashing Pumpkins put out. It's alternative and one of the first albums I could really listen to cover to cover.
                  Last edited by dxmnkd316; 08-01-2017, 10:32 AM.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

A lot of reasonable people, (mainly Brits, but others as well) put the Smiths 'The Queen is Dead' down as one of the greatest albums of all time. Perhaps the problem I have had then is listening to it enough to really get it working. But that is never going to happen.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Rilo Kiley was my go to back in college (2003-2007) while doing homework.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I accept your challenge...

Morcheeba - Who Can You Trust
                        The Wombats - Glitterbug
                        Autechre - EP7
                        Aphex Twin - Richard D James Album
                        Atari Teenage Riot - Burn Berlin Burn
                        Portishead - Live at Roseland
                        Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
                        Dr Dre - The Chronic
                        Atlas Genius - When it Was Now
                        The Aquabats - The Fury of the Aquabats

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          Maybe, but I've def. seen some bad reviews:

One star- wouldn't recommend.
                          -- Snake Plissken 1981

Two thumbs down. Very unfriendly. Terrible trip.
                          -- The Warriors
                          That's almost forty years ago. It's changed. A lot. I went into the city a few times in the early 80s and hated it. Every time I've been in the last decade I've loved it. To be fair, part of that is it's the meanest city on Earth to be poor in, and one of the best (London, Rome, Geneva, Shanghai) to be comfortable.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 08-01-2017, 10:50 AM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

That's almost forty years ago. It's changed. A lot. I went into the city a few times in the early 80s and hated it. Every time I've been in the last decade I've loved it. To be fair, part of that is it's the meanest city on Earth to be poor in, and one of the best (London, Rome, Geneva, Shanghai) to be comfortable.
                            Yeah, I've been, but not in the last couple years. In fact, Mrs. McBadgerton just said this weekend she wants to visit again, maybe around Christmas. But anyway, it's no surprise, I mean Starsky and Hutch and then Sipowicz were bound to get the upper hand eventually, especially when Batman came back. (This isn't a spoiler is it? I mean everyone knows Gotham City is really New York, right?) Heck by the mid 90's a couple of broke Friends could afford an apartment bigger than Seinfeld, who had to be pulling eight figures, easy. Don't think that's still the case. New York 'comfortable' is pretty freakin' rich every where else, and being pretty freakin' rich is pretty freakin' great anywhere. LA for example. Or not actually LA, but the Palisades or Topanga Canyon or Malibu. Great place to be wealthy. You don't have to worry about traffic.

And man, look what they've done to Brooklyn!
                            Sure it was bad, but I say put Huggy Bear and the mob and the hookers, pimps, and pushers back. At least they had some style.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              Mrs. McBadgerton just said this weekend she wants to visit again, maybe around Christmas.
                              Mistake. The worst times to go to NYC are Christmas (bloody tourists) and August (sweltering and the Mets are already eliminated).

Go in late September, early October. Manhattan is, against all its instincts, honest to god lovely in the fall.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Well, they're a band from Los Angeles that made it big in Omaha, when that city was going through a musical revival of sorts. The band members are roughly my age.
                                That should be the title to someone's next album.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X