This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.13 - CNN is still Fake News

In other news, at least one rumor proved to be false.
    Last edited by jericho; 07-12-2017, 10:52 AM.
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Yes, he acts like a seasoned politician.
      I prefer the way Franken and Klobuchar treat me to the way Turtle Boy does.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        I prefer the way Franken and Klobuchar treat me to the way Turtle Boy does.
        They're not trying to get reelected in Kentucky. They're trying to get reelected by relatively well-educated electorate.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          I may be mistaken, but I believe McConnell abolished the quorum rules requiring minority party attendance.
          Committees make their own rules within Senate rules and while I do believe a few have instituted a rule that after a certain period of time passes they may recommend a bill with a majority of committee members present even if the minority continues to refuse to show up, I believe most all still require minority presence for a quorum.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Mitch is tossing out the standard canards that all politicians do because they know that most people don't pay attention to the details - most people don't know what the details could possibly be. So they take his word for it, and he effectively protects his party.
            Empty political nonsense (EPN) is 80% of every Member's speech, and 90% of every Leader's. Their mouths aren't connected to their brains when they're doing it. They have a second political hindbrain located in the submandibular triangle. That's why they raise their chins and speak with a stirring affect when they're doing it. It's an autonomic reflex, like vomiting.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              Committees make their own rules within Senate rules and while I do believe a few have instituted a rule that after a certain period of time passes they may recommend a bill with a majority of committee members present even if the minority continues to refuse to show up, I believe most all still require minority presence for a quorum.
              The question, then, is have the Democrats used the quorum procedural rules to actually stop a nominee? If the Democrats simply used the rules at the time, and then the committee just changed their rules to eliminate the procedural stop, then the Democrats can't effectively stop the nominations procedurally, and Kepler's point is still 100% valid.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

First Republican comes out saying the revelations against Dump are serious. He's Zeldin (NY-1: Eastern L.I.) and he ran as a Dumpy and only Monday was saying it was a "nothingburger." Evidently the email chain (1) *****ed his conscience, (2) changed his mind, (3) freaked him out because now his constituents can see what a sh-t Dump is and he wants off the sinking ship.

It's only one, but hey, somebody must have been first with Nixon, too.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  I thought Trump got elected because of all of us racist, ignorant hicks out here in the red states hate women and anyone of color?
                  I thought it was because HRC was such a lousy candidate?
                  I thought it was because that evil Comey decided to come forward with his emails announcement just days before the election?

Just out of curiosity, is there going to come a point where you guys actually pick a narrative you like as to why Trump was elected, then stick with it?
                  Can't it be more than one? I mean, really, you aren't that stupid, are you?
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    What information did they get? Everything I've read said the meeting was a waste of time and nothing came out of it.
                    Who's telling you that? Trumpy Jr? Others aligned with Trumpy?

Yeah, those are some credible, unbiased sources right there.

But Hillary's EMAILZ!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      The question, then, is have the Democrats used the quorum procedural rules to actually stop a nominee? If the Democrats simply used the rules at the time, and then the committee just changed their rules to eliminate the procedural stop, then the Democrats can't effectively stop the nominations procedurally, and Kepler's point is still 100% valid.
                      I'm not sure the GOP was the first time this was ever used, though. Otherwise a minority party could kill a bill in committee. Majority parties often kill bills in committee for political reasons, but they certainly wouldn't want to cede that power to a minority. Also, a majority could not effectively get anything done if a minority could simply shut down a bill that way.

I believe the presence rule was one of those rules that was almost never crossed because of collegiality. Well, collegiality is dead. Regardless of who you think killed it (hint: it was Newt and Trent) the chambers are now eroding minority rights down to nothing. I can't say this is a terrible thing, as those procedural mechanisms were ordinarily used to preserve privilege against the will of the people.

We're in a weird period where the chambers are actually getting more democratic even as the GOP attempts to disenfranchise millions of voters and big money has corrupted the whole concept of democratic government. My hope is that the GOP is doomed by demography and the corporate bribery will be halted the next time there's a progressive wave, and when those things happen the chambers will now be far more streamlined and able to deliver substantive change.

The US has not led as an example of a government of, by and for the people for nearly a half century. We can still get that back using our votes and a tactical amendment here and there to put down the oligarchs. The great optimism of America is that it is at least possible, here, for the people to make their own laws. It hasn't happened since the New Deal, but it can still happen. The rot can be reversed.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Looks like The Family and their surrogates are going for "nothing to see here, move along."

I'm surprised they haven't come out with some sort of invented counter-punch just to muddy the waters. That's more Dump's style.

Smirconish noted this morning that Kasowitz was not included in the hours-long meeting on Air Force One that resulted in the original denial that was so incomplete it led to three more days of slow bleed out culminating in Uday being forced to release the email chain. Part of the issue is the WH does not think Kasowitz can get a security clearance, even with their sponsorship.
                        And why are WH staffers tasked with crafting denial responses for Trumpy Jr? I thought he was completely separated from the day to day politics in Washington, so he could run his father's businesses without conflicts of interest?

Comment

If they filibuster a nominee, a cloture motion cannot be voted on until the third session day after and the interceding time can all be used for debate on that nominee. The senate is in session 130-140 days a year. I think you can see that if you filibuster 50 nominees not much will get done. In fact Dems can prevent the administration from ever filling all openings during the entire four year term.
                          So you're saying that the Senate is incapable of considering a nominee for one position until they have finished considering another? Maybe your issue is that Mitch needs to learn to multi-task...

Technically they can and have. Two members of the minority party must be present to constitute a quorum in committee. Dem's have walked out to prevent a vote on several occasions. Not that it's rampant yet, but it has happened, and obviously should they so choose they could do it more.
                          Dems walked out on one occasion, then the rules were changed and they voted the next day with no Dems present. So no, they can't choose to do it more.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            And why are WH staffers tasked with crafting denial responses for Trumpy Jr? I thought he was completely separated from the day to day politics in Washington, so he could run his father's businesses without conflicts of interest?
                            That's actually a really good point that I had not thought of.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              Can't it be more than one? I mean, really, you aren't that stupid, are you?
                              Create indefinite group of individuals in your head.
                              Label them "you guys".
                              Complain that they don't have a consistent opinion on something.
                              Revel in the brilliance of your flawless reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                First Republican comes out saying the revelations against Dump are serious. He's Zeldin (NY-1: Eastern L.I.) and he ran as a Dumpy and only Monday was saying it was a "nothingburger." Evidently the email chain (1) *****ed his conscience, (2) changed his mind, (3) freaked him out because now his constituents can see what a sh-t Dump is and he wants off the sinking ship.

It's only one, but hey, somebody must have been first with Nixon, too.
                                Has he done anything about it? Or is he just swallowing Trump's load with a frown on his face now?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X