X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.13 - CNN is still Fake News

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    In Nixon's time Congress was controlled by the opposition party. That helped at every stage of the investigations. The GOP will never be serious about investigating Trump; nothing substantial will happen unless/until the Democrats take one or both chambers.

The only "good" thing about this GOP is Trump is an outsider to them so they won't need to actively obstruct justice to protect their own connections, as they did with Reagan and Iran/Contra (a more serious Constitutional crisis than Watergate -- Reagan should have been impeached, but with a Senate majority he could have walked down Fifth Avenue shooting people).
    We were a different people in the 1980s, no matter what one thinks of Reagan as a person or president. He could not have behaved like trump is today and survived politically.

I don't think the Iran/Contra affair was all that similar to trump's offenses either. While Reagan's actions were possibly impeachable I don't think he behaved as he did because he had the cover of a republican Senate and I also don't think it was a more serious constitutional crisis than Watergate. Watergate struck at the very heart of the rule of law, Iran/Contra was much more a political crisis, illegal as hell sure, but to me it never rose to the level of a president trying to obstruct justice like Watergate did.

I also don't think the scandal had much or anything to do with the Senate returning to Democratic control either as hardly anything (anything at all?) was known about it in November of 1986. Most of the Democratic gains in 1986 came at the hands of republican Senators who would not have won their seats in 1980 without Reagan's coattails. And anyway, the House never came close, either in 1980 or at any other time during Reagan's presidency, to being controlled by republicans so Reagan could still have been impeached had the congress wanted it.

I also think trump's "outsider" status will have absolutely no bearing on what congress does beyond how much they might protect his presidency by working with him on legislation. republican's care about 2 things, the little "r" and their chances of reelection. As long as they believe the latter is safe, the former will dictate their actions. If trump does stuff they like, they'll be right there with him, if he doesn't they'll excuse his actions like Paul Ryan or a handful of posters here do. Only those who fear a loss in November '18 will act even remotely patriotically. Worse yet, those who fear a primary challenge from the extreme right will behave in an even more treasonous fashion.
    Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 07-04-2017, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Wiki ascribes the 20-yr generation meme as a baseline for primitive cultures (but still leaves a lot of wiggle room): "The average age of mothers at birth of their first child was 20 and at the last birth 31, giving a mean of 25.5 years per female generation — considerably above the 20 years often attributed to primitive cultures. Husbands were six to 13 years older, giving a male generational interval of 31 to 38 years."
      The popular culture reference interval averages 30 or 35 years, the primitive biological generation is 20. So it depends on what you're referencing.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        Wiki ascribes the 20-yr generation meme as a baseline for primitive cultures (but still leaves a lot of wiggle room): "The average age of mothers at birth of their first child was 20 and at the last birth 31, giving a mean of 25.5 years per female generation — considerably above the 20 years often attributed to primitive cultures. Husbands were six to 13 years older, giving a male generational interval of 31 to 38 years."
        The popular culture reference interval averages 30 or 35 years, the primitive biological generation is 20. So it depends on what you're referencing.
        So in red states it's 20?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
          So in red states it's 20?
          For the wimmin. For the men folks it's 50-ish depending on which wife you're talking.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

NPR tweeted out the Declaration of Independence. It's principles crashed up against the twittering trumpettes like... like something else entirely.

Comment

The ignorance of the Trumpettes is mindblowing. It is very telling though especially since the line that was responded to the most I believe was the one about "tyrants".
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                The ignorance of the Trumpettes is mindblowing. It is very telling though especially since the line that was responded to the most I believe was the one about "tyrants".
                It must be that this element has always been out there but that the web has turned rock over.

Comment

Fake News is now turning to illegal coercion. https://www.infowars.com/cnn-rocked-...trumpcnn-meme/

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Was at a party yesterday and saw it in it's fully glory. It is something to behold.

Also, isn't it interesting that the Senate 98-2 passed a bipartisan Russia sanction bill and it languishes in the House. Very curious.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      It must be that this element has always been out there but that the web has turned rock over.
                      Yes.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It was always out there...they were the crackpots who were largely ignored for being nutjobs. You can see lots of them in documentaries about stuff like Ruby Ridge. The difference was back then the GOP didnt embrace them...now they make up the true base of the GOP.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Who among us hasn't been able to find their car in a crowded parking lot? https://***********/AynRandPaulRyan/...725570/video/1

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                            Who among us hasn't been able to find their car in a crowded parking lot? https://***********/AynRandPaulRyan/...725570/video/1
                            Yikes.

They hid Reagan's dementia extremely well for 3 years.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              My wife not only went up to the wrong car once, but it was unlocked and she got in. At that point she realized it was not hers.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                                My wife not only went up to the wrong car once, but it was unlocked and she got in. At that point she realized it was not hers.
                                I'll bet it wasn't a limo. Or on the tarmac. Or the only vehicle within miles.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X