Holy Cross and Sacred Heart Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    I'm more frustrated by what word gets chosen to use as an insulting euphemism for "weak" on a board about women's hockey.
    Thank you.

Comment

Re: Holy Cross and Sacred Heart Programs

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      Idk the Crusades were pretty bad lol... I would imagine you would have a problem with a college team naming themselves ISIS.

/Sprints away from thread
      lol. As I recall [and I admit I learned my history before our education system was destroyed]...the Crusaders were the ones responding to what the peace-loving muslims [sort of the pre-ISIS folks] were doing...not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
        lol. As I recall [and I admit I learned my history before our education system was destroyed]...the Crusaders were the ones responding to what the peace-loving muslims [sort of the pre-ISIS folks] were doing...not the other way around.
        Let's just say that they weren't very good at confining their response to those Muslims (Turks from Central Asia) who were doing the conquering. When the First Crusade conquered Jerusalem, they massacred at least 10,000 civilians, a mix of Arab Muslims, Christians, and Jews. That was just the largest of the massacres they conducted along their march. The Fourth Crusade decided not to attack the Muslims at all; instead, they sacked Constantinople, since that's where the money was, which served to aid the Turks in their eventual conquest of the Christian Byzantine Empire.

Comment

ya, let both play in ECAC. with Merrimack being added already and now HC and (who is Sacred Heart?) Don't get me wrong, Merrimack got up to speed very quickly but it will be a while for HC or WHO? to duplicate that. just another crumb for the west to eat up when posting how easy the schedule is. it gets old fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
            ya, let both play in ECAC. with Merrimack being added already and now HC and (who is Sacred Heart?) Don't get me wrong, Merrimack got up to speed very quickly but it will be a while for HC or WHO? to duplicate that. just another crumb for the west to eat up when posting how easy the schedule is. it gets old fast.
            I think you are going to be very wrong about the strength of both of these programs. Both have done a lot of recruiting and they will give some teams a battle. Of course, time will tell if this is true or not, but if you're implying that they are fodder for Brown, Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale and Rensselaer I'm going to say no. Clarkston and Colgate yes, they are certainly a cut above at this point, but the others not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
              I think you are going to be very wrong about the strength of both of these programs. Both have done a lot of recruiting and they will give some teams a battle. Of course, time will tell if this is true or not, but if you're implying that they are fodder for Brown, Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale and Rensselaer I'm going to say no. Clarkston and Colgate yes, they are certainly a cut above at this point, but the others not so much.
              Agree. Don’t forget- as a D3 team Holy Cross shut out Harvard last season, without a single D1 recruit on their roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                Agree. Don’t forget- as a D3 team Holy Cross shut out Harvard last season, without a single D1 recruit on their roster.
                Holy Cross has never been and never will be a D3 team. They are classified as D1 (FCS) in all sports.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Holy Cross has never been and never will be a D3 team. They are classified as D1 (FCS) in all sports.
                  I think what he meant was that they've always played D3/D2 schedule. They've always been very strong with that type of schedule and they've always been very successful in terms of wins and losses. I think their transition to D1 hockey is not going to be that hard. They are already better than several D1 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
                    It's not BC's fault. I'm not sure what they could do, short of telling recruits, "We'd love to have you on our roster, but what would really help us is if you'd go to UNH so that they can become a powerhouse once again."

Holy Cross will be okay. Sacred Heart will be okay. What BC needs is for someone to become almost as good as the Eagles, so they have to break a sweat before March. Ideally that would be a HEA team, but improvement by Harvard would also help. UMD and St. Lawrence will provide competition in some years -- probably not in 2018 -- but those games occur so early in the season.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      It's not BC's fault. I'm not sure what they could do, short of telling recruits, "We'd love to have you on our roster, but what would really help us is if you'd go to UNH so that they can become a powerhouse once again."

Holy Cross will be okay. Sacred Heart will be okay. What BC needs is for someone to become almost as good as the Eagles, so they have to break a sweat before March. Ideally that would be a HEA team, but improvement by Harvard would also help. UMD and St. Lawrence will provide competition in some years -- probably not in 2018 -- but those games occur so early in the season.
                      Have to wait for the schedules, but because the last place and second-to-last place HE teams both had success at Ridder last year, I would expect Holy Cross will have a decent chance of early season success if Minnesota picked them up.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                        Have to wait for the schedules, but because the last place and second-to-last place HE teams both had success at Ridder last year, I would expect Holy Cross will have a decent chance of early season success if Minnesota picked them up.
                        HC will be alright, they had 1 goal games last season with Dartmouth, Harvard and RIT without really recruiting. Coach Lachapelle was very active in recruiting last season. She may be the heir apparent at HC so was probably given some tools to help recruit. As for Sacred Heart, they too did more recruiting than they have in the past. Biggest issue I see there is their Independent status. If they could get into a conference it would strengthen their schedule and be better for them as well as women's hockey in general as it creates more opportunities for girls to play.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          I think what he meant was that they've always played D3/D2 schedule. They've always been very strong with that type of schedule and they've always been very successful in terms of wins and losses. I think their transition to D1 hockey is not going to be that hard. They are already better than several D1 teams.
                          ...I think you could say that about several D3 teams [i.e. better than several D1 teams]. Platty, Norwich, Elmira, Adrian and the top of the nescac come to mind. I never considered HC anything special when they were D2.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
                            HC will be alright, they had 1 goal games last season with Dartmouth, Harvard and RIT without really recruiting. Coach Lachapelle was very active in recruiting last season. She may be the heir apparent at HC so was probably given some tools to help recruit. As for Sacred Heart, they too did more recruiting than they have in the past. Biggest issue I see there is their Independent status. If they could get into a conference it would strengthen their schedule and be better for them as well as women's hockey in general as it creates more opportunities for girls to play.
                            CHA would take Sacred Heart anytime they want to join to fill out the conference. They just don't want. Too big an investment - scholarships and travel costs. Playing D3 level hockey in New England keeps them Title IX compliant without crazy expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                              ...I think you could say that about several D3 teams [i.e. better than several D1 teams]. Platty, Norwich, Elmira, Adrian and the top of the nescac come to mind. I never considered HC anything special when they were D2.
                              This is an old argument, but I totally disagree. 10+ years ago the top D3 teams could regularly beat D1 teams, but that is an absolute pipe dream nowadays. Even Bill Mandigo, who used to recruit using this story, has given up on that illusion. As an example at the top of the D3 heap, a piece of what has made Plattsburgh successful over the years is D1 transfers (such as Erin Brand, who came from Syracuse after 1.5 seasons and barely played there). These players typically end up being one of the best players on the Plattsburgh team but couldn't get a regular shift on a middling or weak D1 team. So you're telling me a team that has a cast off player from a weak D1 program as one its best players can compete regularly with D1 teams? You are dreaming. This is a story that D1 wannabes tell themselves when they can't get a spot at a D1 school. Might they win a game once on the strength of crazy goaltending or luck? Sure, maybe, but regularly - not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                                This is an old argument, but I totally disagree. 10+ years ago the top D3 teams could regularly beat D1 teams, but that is an absolute pipe dream nowadays. Even Bill Mandigo, who used to recruit using this story, has given up on that illusion. As an example at the top of the D3 heap, a piece of what has made Plattsburgh successful over the years is D1 transfers (such as Erin Brand, who came from Syracuse after 1.5 seasons and barely played there). These players typically end up being one of the best players on the Plattsburgh team but couldn't get a regular shift on a middling or weak D1 team. So you're telling me a team that has a cast off player from a weak D1 program as one its best players can compete regularly with D1 teams? You are dreaming. This is a story that D1 wannabes tell themselves when they can't get a spot at a D1 school. Might they win a game once on the strength of crazy goaltending or luck? Sure, maybe, but regularly - not a chance.
                                Agreed in general. I think you meant Bill Mindmyego...I think that's his real name. He used to actually believe he could beat a lot of D1 teams and not just the bad ones (he might still believe it). He would tell potential recruits "What do you want to go there for?! We could beat that team any day of the week" referring to whatever D1 school the potential recruit said she was being pursued by. Classy! Lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X