Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Illinois is broke(n) ...

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Even if the budget passes, it sounds like Illinois is heading for Junk bond status.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/05/inve...eal/index.html
    The always-clever conservative epithet, "De-toilet", pulled out of junk status. Godspeed, "Ill-annoy".

Even if you do, no word on if "****-cago" will exit the conservatard lexicon. Sorry, boys.

Comment

Well, thank God we still have a stranglehold of the Chiraq moniker.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Also, I love how the state is supposed to "rein in" spending, NOT raise taxes, and magically fill the massive pension shortfall.

Now, I may not have aced my accounting and finance classes, but if you are running a deficet even after cutting expenses, some income source needs to be found.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          Well, thank God we still have a stranglehold of the Chiraq moniker.
          That's totally yours. Please own it.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Also, I love how the state is supposed to "rein in" spending, NOT raise taxes, and magically fill the massive pension shortfall.

Now, I may not have aced my accounting and finance classes, but if you are running a deficet even after cutting expenses, some income source needs to be found.
            The problem at a state level is people can move. I'm not saying they shouldn't try to raise any extra revenue but there is only so far you can go.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Illinois now has a budget.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Reading about Rauner, how did this jackas-s get elected in the first place? He's like Brownback. I expect that in KS, but IL?

Nice to see these chumps finally getting rolled back. Maybe ME will be next?
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Reading about Rauner, how did this jackas-s get elected in the first place? He's like Brownback. I expect that in KS, but IL?

For reasons I don't understand every once in awhile people get caught up in the "we need to run gubmint like a business" crapola, and anybody who made money running a business even if it was a scam or due to inherited wealth can "straighten sh !t out". In reality very few businessmen make good governors because as a business owner or CEO you're used to telling people to jump and their response to be "how high?" or they're fired. You can't fire the leader of the opposition party so you either get a quagmire like Illinois or the guy starts stealing everything that's not nailed down like the last Gooper Gov in Virginia because again that's what you do on your way out the door in business.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Illinois is a classic example of how government goes off track when politicians refuse to make a tough political choice. That choice might be making cuts. It might be raising taxes. It might involve a combination of both, but if you're not willing to make those choices, you turn into Illinois.

My wife and I have good friends who ended up getting transferred to Illinois for about five years. I shuddered at the horror stories.

IIRC, Illinois actually has a "flat" income tax. Their income tax is just something like four or five percent of your income, across the board. I think it's been that way for a long, long time.

But, as the cost of running the government went up, rather than bump the tax what would only have to be a tiny percentage, instead they went to all of these innumerable fees and sales taxes that are much easier to pass. You want to drink your craft beer in a pint instead of a beer mug? They probably have a tax on that. You want water with your restaurant meal? They probably have a tax on that.

I was always struck by how severely regressive the Illinois tax system seemed to me, given that at least from my viewpoint it's been a pretty reliable "blue" state.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      Illinois is a classic example of how government goes off track when politicians refuse to make a tough political choice. That choice might be making cuts. It might be raising taxes. It might involve a combination of both, but if you're not willing to make those choices, you turn into Illinois.

My wife and I have good friends who ended up getting transferred to Illinois for about five years. I shuddered at the horror stories.

IIRC, Illinois actually has a "flat" income tax. Their income tax is just something like four or five percent of your income, across the board. I think it's been that way for a long, long time.

But, as the cost of running the government went up, rather than bump the tax what would only have to be a tiny percentage, instead they went to all of these innumerable fees and sales taxes that are much easier to pass. You want to drink your craft beer in a pint instead of a beer mug? They probably have a tax on that. You want water with your restaurant meal? They probably have a tax on that.

I was always struck by how severely regressive the Illinois tax system seemed to me, given that at least from my viewpoint it's been a pretty reliable "blue" state.
                      I couldn't agree more with this. It seems like in this century there has been no will at all to make tough decisions and those under say 40 are going to pay a heavy price down the road.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: Illinois is broke(n) ...

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        Illinois actually has a "flat" income tax. Their income tax is just something like four or five percent of your income, across the board. I think it's been that way for a long, long time.
                        That is written into the state Constitution (ratified 1970), Article IX, Section 3(a):

SECTION 3. LIMITATIONS ON INCOME TAXATION
                        (a) A tax on or measured by income shall be at a non-graduated rate. At any one time there may be no more than one such tax imposed by the State for State purposes on individuals and one such tax so imposed on corporations. In any such tax imposed upon corporations the rate shall not exceed the rate imposed on individuals by more than a ratio of 8 to 5.
                        Last edited by FreshFish; 07-07-2017, 01:06 PM.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          That is written into the state Constitution (ratified 1970), Article IX, Section 3(a):
                          That's why you don't place taxation or spending details into a state constitution. You write language that the state may levy taxes for its operation, but you don't state the method of that taxation. Those details are better left to the politicians living in the moment of need, to address what would best serve the State.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Mass has the same issue. Not sure why that is but state taxes seem to be a flat rate unless you pass a constitutional amendment.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Because the Illinois Democratic governors keep getting arrested? At a certain point, you're going to be willing to try the other side if he isn't a felon.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                                Because the Illinois Democratic governors keep getting arrested? At a certain point, you're going to be willing to try the other side if he isn't a felon.
                                Fair point.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X