Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 93

Thread: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

  1. #21
    Legend in everybodys mind
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    7,816

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    If you think you're going to get an announcement about Illinois and/or Northwestern joining the B1G, don't hold your breath. Startup costs and Title IX still loom as formidable obstacles, and not necessarily in that order. (Home I'm wrong.)
    Is this directed at me or just the forum as a whole?
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!
    Blogs.
    https://twitter.com/hammyhockey
    http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/
    http://twitter.com/CHeisenberg]
    http://www.gopherpucklive.com/
    My website

  2. #22
    All Hail
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,304

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by 4four4 View Post
    Is this directed at me or just the forum as a whole?
    The collective "you." Not you personally. And BTW, the bottom line emanating from the so-called big announcement was, without using the exact words, money and Title IX.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

  3. #23
    UC's original USCHO poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    4,997

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    The collective "you." Not you personally. And BTW, the bottom line emanating from the so-called big announcement was, without using the exact words, money and Title IX.
    Lack of money and problems caused by current rules.......the death of many good ideas.
    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game
    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

  4. #24
    Legend in everybodys mind
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    7,816

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    The collective "you." Not you personally. And BTW, the bottom line emanating from the so-called big announcement was, without using the exact words, money and Title IX.
    I don't believe anybody is under the illusion with this announcement. Most of us take it with a grain of salt.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!
    Blogs.
    https://twitter.com/hammyhockey
    http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/
    http://twitter.com/CHeisenberg]
    http://www.gopherpucklive.com/
    My website

  5. #25
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    25,044

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Subscribed

  6. #26
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,255
    Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    Curious to see who else is involved. Other B1G schools? MAC schools? Pac12 schools?

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Agganis 115
    Posts
    378

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Curious to see who else is involved. Other B1G schools? MAC schools? Pac12 schools?
    Who's got the $$$??? P5 schools most likely. Pac-12 would be interesting. Would give ASU some company.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhett Hot View Post
    Who's got the $$$??? P5 schools most likely. Pac-12 would be interesting. Would give ASU some company.
    My money is on UNLV, youth hockey is exploding, season tickets are sold out for the Golden Knights, air conditioning lol.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    166

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Curious to see who else is involved. Other B1G schools? MAC schools? Pac12 schools?
    MAC schools don't have a pot to **** in. Every one of them is already taking millions of dollars per year to subsidize money losing athletic departments. Unless the NHL is going to pull a Pegula and fully fund the program at a MAC school, it's not going to happen.

    Same deal with UNLV. That's one of the most money losing ADs in the country. Where are they going to come up with the money to fund men's and women's hockey?
    Last edited by Sterling Cooper; 06-27-2017 at 11:14 AM.

  10. #30
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,875

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    My money is on UNLV, youth hockey is exploding, season tickets are sold out for the Golden Knights, air conditioning lol.
    Sorry but youth hockey and pro hockey have little relevance to expanding college hockey. If anything look around Chicago and nearby more.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    166

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    Sorry but youth hockey and pro hockey have little relevance to expanding college hockey. If anything look around Chicago and nearby more.
    I think Illinois might be the exception. The Chicago suburbs are a hotbed of both youth hockey and NHL interest. Since they provide the overwhelming bulk of students to UIUC, I think it follows that a D1 program there would have strong student support from the beginning. With U of I's revenue sports in the crapper, U of I could really take off as a hockey school if this were to be done right.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
    MAC schools don't have a pot to **** in. Every one of them is already taking millions of dollars per year to subsidize money losing athletic departments. Unless the NHL is going to pull a Pegula and fully fund the program at a MAC school, it's not going to happen.

    Same deal with UNLV. That's one of the most money losing ADs in the country. Where are they going to come up with the money to fund men's and women's hockey?
    Were talking about Las Vegas, despite the price gouging everywhere it's still a hotbed for money and influence. Where did Bill Foley come from? The Golden Kinghts seem already like a win for hockey, if they can keep the seats full there is going to be interest for DI hockey at UNLV. They already have a club team that plays ASU. Plus many school get creative with the sports teams financials, you really think some big time P5 football teams really lose money?

  13. #33
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44,641

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    I really didn't see the Big Roll-a-D20 bringing in Notre Dame and going to an odd number of teams without having a plan to bring in an 8th. UI may just be a distinct possibility...
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    166

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I really didn't see the Big Roll-a-D20 bringing in Notre Dame and going to an odd number of teams without having a plan to bring in an 8th. UI may just be a distinct possibility...
    I agree. I thought it was going to be UND, which also salves Gopher butthurt. Perhaps, they just hung UND out there as a warning for UIUC to quit studying it and actually do something. Who knows, maybe UND still gets in.

  15. #35
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44,641

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
    I agree. I thought it was going to be UND, which also salves Gopher butthurt. Perhaps, they just hung UND out there as a warning for UIUC to quit studying it and actually do something. Who knows, maybe UND still gets in.
    Is whatever-you-want-to-call-Mankato still going to the NCHC?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  16. #36
    Legend in everybodys mind
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    7,816

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Some time ago wasn't there a rumor of Jim North CEO of Jimmy John's fame pulling a Peglua out of his UI alumni hat?
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!
    Blogs.
    https://twitter.com/hammyhockey
    http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/
    http://twitter.com/CHeisenberg]
    http://www.gopherpucklive.com/
    My website

  17. #37
    UC's original USCHO poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    4,997

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Someone mentioned Title IX......so, does Syracuse play Women's hockey because of Title IX or does Syracuse not play Men's hockey because of Title IX?

  18. #38
    Rodent of Unusual Size Patman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    22,920
    Quote Originally Posted by UCBadger View Post
    Someone mentioned Title IX......so, does Syracuse play Women's hockey because of Title IX or does Syracuse not play Men's hockey because of Title IX?
    Yes

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,585

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by flagdude08 View Post
    is whatever-you-want-to-call-mankato still going to the nchc?
    no

  20. #40
    All Hail
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,304

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by UCBadger View Post
    Someone mentioned Title IX......so, does Syracuse play Women's hockey because of Title IX or does Syracuse not play Men's hockey because of Title IX?
    Syracuse supposedly has had offers to fund a D1 men's hockey program going back to at least the 1960's, long before Title IX was even thought of. Rumor had it that offers were squelched by entrenched basketball interests that didn't want any in-season revenue-producing competition. Too bad. The Syracuse area has long been a hotbed of hockey interest and a D1 program would certainly have enjoyed wide support.

    Title IX obstacles notwithstanding, Syracuse would be a good fit as a 12th team for Hockey East. Yes, it's outside of New England but not by much.
    Last edited by Split-N; 07-01-2017 at 01:05 PM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •