Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Sorry but youth hockey and pro hockey have little relevance to expanding college hockey. If anything look around Chicago and nearby more.
    I think Illinois might be the exception. The Chicago suburbs are a hotbed of both youth hockey and NHL interest. Since they provide the overwhelming bulk of students to UIUC, I think it follows that a D1 program there would have strong student support from the beginning. With U of I's revenue sports in the crapper, U of I could really take off as a hockey school if this were to be done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
      MAC schools don't have a pot to **** in. Every one of them is already taking millions of dollars per year to subsidize money losing athletic departments. Unless the NHL is going to pull a Pegula and fully fund the program at a MAC school, it's not going to happen.

Same deal with UNLV. That's one of the most money losing ADs in the country. Where are they going to come up with the money to fund men's and women's hockey?
      Were talking about Las Vegas, despite the price gouging everywhere it's still a hotbed for money and influence. Where did Bill Foley come from? The Golden Kinghts seem already like a win for hockey, if they can keep the seats full there is going to be interest for DI hockey at UNLV. They already have a club team that plays ASU. Plus many school get creative with the sports teams financials, you really think some big time P5 football teams really lose money?
      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

I really didn't see the Big Roll-a-D20 bringing in Notre Dame and going to an odd number of teams without having a plan to bring in an 8th. UI may just be a distinct possibility...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          I really didn't see the Big Roll-a-D20 bringing in Notre Dame and going to an odd number of teams without having a plan to bring in an 8th. UI may just be a distinct possibility...
          I agree. I thought it was going to be UND, which also salves Gopher butthurt. Perhaps, they just hung UND out there as a warning for UIUC to quit studying it and actually do something. Who knows, maybe UND still gets in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
            I agree. I thought it was going to be UND, which also salves Gopher butthurt. Perhaps, they just hung UND out there as a warning for UIUC to quit studying it and actually do something. Who knows, maybe UND still gets in.
            Is whatever-you-want-to-call-Mankato still going to the NCHC?

Comment

Some time ago wasn't there a rumor of Jim North CEO of Jimmy John's fame pulling a Peglua out of his UI alumni hat?
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                Some time ago wasn't there a rumor of Jim North CEO of Jimmy John's fame pulling a Peglua out of his UI alumni hat?

Supposedly Pitt might have a guy to fund it:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...-illinois-pitt

Comment

Someone mentioned Title IX......so, does Syracuse play Women's hockey because of Title IX or does Syracuse not play Men's hockey because of Title IX?
                  2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                  2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                  2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                  2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                  2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                  2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                  2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                  Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                  1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Sounds like Pitt might be in play:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...-illinois-pitt

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                      Someone mentioned Title IX......so, does Syracuse play Women's hockey because of Title IX or does Syracuse not play Men's hockey because of Title IX?
                      Yes
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by flagdude08 View Post
                        is whatever-you-want-to-call-mankato still going to the nchc?
                        no

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                          Syracuse supposedly has had offers to fund a D1 men's hockey program going back to at least the 1960's, long before Title IX was even thought of. Rumor had it that offers were squelched by entrenched basketball interests that didn't want any in-season revenue-producing competition. Too bad. The Syracuse area has long been a hotbed of hockey interest and a D1 program would certainly have enjoyed wide support.

Title IX obstacles notwithstanding, Syracuse would be a good fit as a 12th team for Hockey East. Yes, it's outside of New England but not by much.
                          Last edited by Split-N; 07-01-2017, 01:05 PM.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Pitt supposedly has a funding source for D1 Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by SunDevil Hockey View Post
                              Yup, I heard that. Not sure if its enough to cover the Title IX issues so we'll have to see what, if anything comes of it. But it makes sense on so many levels since Pittsburgh is now one helluva hockey town. If it does happen, I'm guessing the B1G will extend one of its "hockey only" associate memberships.
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by SunDevil Hockey View Post
                                Probably won't make Robert Morris happy, since they get a lot of support from the Penguins.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X