U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunDevil Hockey View Post
    Pitt supposedly has a funding source for D1 Hockey.
    Supposedly
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      Yup, I heard that. Not sure if its enough to cover the Title IX issues so we'll have to see what, if anything comes of it. But it makes sense on so many levels since Pittsburgh is now one helluva hockey town. If it does happen, I'm guessing the B1G will extend one of its "hockey only" associate memberships.
      That, or they'll try to get into Hockey East.
      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
      66 - 86 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
        Same deal with UNLV. That's one of the most money losing ADs in the country. Where are they going to come up with the money to fund men's and women's hockey?
        Why hockey for the broads? Title 9 just mandates bodies. Field a woman's dance team
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

since Pittsburgh is now one helluva hockey town....
          If they win.
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Syracuse supposedly has had offers to fund a D1 men's hockey program going back to at least the 1960's, long before Title IX was even thought of. Rumor had it that offers were squelched by entrenched basketball interests that didn't want any in-season revenue-producing competition. Too bad. The Syracuse area has long been a hotbed of hockey interest and a D1 program would certainly have enjoyed wide support.

Title IX obstacles notwithstanding, Syracuse would be a good fit as a 12th team for Hockey East. Yes, it's outside of New England but not by much.
            This area isn't as much of a hockey hotbed as you'd think, although we do like the Crunch. Even if SU were to pursue it (and I highly doubt they will), they'd need a new facility. Tennity's too small, and the War Memorial is already double booked with AHL and indoor soccer. And I highly doubt they'll put temporary ice in at the dome on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              This area isn't as much of a hockey hotbed as you'd think, although we do like the Crunch. Even if SU were to pursue it (and I highly doubt they will), they'd need a new facility. Tennity's too small, and the War Memorial is already double booked with AHL and indoor soccer. And I highly doubt they'll put temporary ice in at the dome on a regular basis.
              I always thought Manley was the place to re-purpose for ice hockey...but that ship has sailed.
              2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
              2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
              2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
              2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
              2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
              2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
              2009 D-III TOP runner-up
              Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
              1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                This area isn't as much of a hockey hotbed as you'd think, although we do like the Crunch....
                When you look beyond the Crunch to the amateur levels, the Syracuse area has always had relatively high participation levels and coaching/quality of play has been among the best. Not unusual to see Syracuse-area teams make deep runs in the various USA Hockey national championship categories.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I wonder how much money it would cost the school?
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Illini announce $300 million campaign for athletics

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/col...a4a1ab335.html

Not the main focus but a worthwhile excerpt:

Whitman (Athletic Director) also said the school continues to explore the feasibility of adding intercollegiate men’s hockey, but that the $300 million being raised as part of the “With Illinois” project would not cover that expense.

“We’re working with consultants and anxious to see how that works out,” Whitman said. “If we can bring hockey across the finish line that would be above and beyond; we see it as a tremendous opportunity to get a hockey program and to transform our community.”

Sources have said the university is looking at a three-rink facility with one rink designated for community use, another as a practice rink and a third as part of a 5,000-seat arena for competition.

Although the university has received encouragement from the National Hockey League and the Chicago Blackhawks, funding for the hockey facility and program would be essential and remains unresolved.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                      ...the $300 million being raised as part of the “With Illinois” project would not cover that [varsity hockey] expense...funding for the hockey facility and program would be essential and remains unresolved.
                      I don't get this. They're going to raise $300M but can't budget enough to start varsity hockey at the flagship university of a state that produces significant numbers of elite players? If $300M isn't enough to establish a hockey program, in addition to whatever else they want, why not just up the fund raising goal?

Guess those football and hoops gods are more voracious than ever and the shoe company bribes might disappear.
                      Last edited by Split-N; 10-31-2017, 09:40 AM.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I don't get this. They're going to raise $300M but can't budget enough to start varsity hockey at the flagship university of a state that produces significant numbers of elite players?
                        A common response I see as to why schools don't start new programs is because they have to take care of the programs they have in place first. Illinois actually put a number to it and has decided they need $300 million to do that. It's a surprisingly large number, but I respect that they are open about it. Hockey is behind all the existing sports, for now. $80 million for a new football training facility. $120 for other capital projects. $70 million for scholarships. $30 million for academic services for student athletes.

If $300M isn't enough to establish a hockey program, in addition to whatever else they want, why not just up the fund raising goal?
                        They might not have a number yet if the study isn't complete. Plus I'm guessing they're hoping by advertising they are open to hockey, they can get a large donation. It would be nice to announce "we're doing it, here's the number we need, and oh by the way we're half way there."

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                          How about Lovie Smith?

Comment

It’s the off-season, and you know what that means:

https://***********/illinihq/status/...650764288?s=21
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              It’s the off-season, and you know what that means:

https://***********/illinihq/status/...650764288?s=21
                              The arena's not even built and they already have more banners hanging than players on their dream team. The Illini were made for D-I hockey.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                              X