Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Shut up hockey puck
    Quote Originally Posted by 4four4 View Post
    https://twitter.com/TravisSBN/status/877916599470006273

U of Illinois AD and the NHL will have a joint press conference Friday June 23rd supporting college hockey.
    Just in time for the 7,000 seat Coralville arena to open.

Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Quote Originally Posted by 4four4 View Post
    I also hear the NHL/College Hockey Inc. will be approaching Iowa next when the Illinois deal is over.
    Good news. Iowa had been on my shortlist for the B1G for a while now. NHL backing is a key to success here.

Interview with Josh Whitman (AD). The link is mostly football but here's a quick hockey check in.

I have to ask a hockey question every time I see you. You said during the summer you’d like to green-light a hockey program and project by the end of the calendar year. Is that still the pace or what’s the update on that project?

Whitman: “I think it is. I don’t know if it will be a public announcement by the end of the year, but I think during this academic year, certainly we hope to get it done and get it through the appropriate approvals. A decision of this magnitude requires a lot of sign off from a number of different people: the chancellor’s office, ultimately the president’s office, the board of trustees. We’ll need to handle that appropriately and get it through the right channels the right way, which takes times. I think we still want to get to a place by the end of the year where we’d know what we’d like to do, whether we’re able to get it signed off on in all the t’s crossed and the i’s dotted, I doubt that will happen.

“But things are going well. We’ve had some nice events. Recently, we hosted an event at the Urbana Country Club a few weeks back with a lot of local leaders, business leaders and presented I think a strong vision for not just the hockey project but the entire downtown redevelopment and how this new arena could be a linchpin to that project. We spent some time out in Allentown, Pennsylvania, which has really established itself as kind of the model of what a downtown arena project can do to revitalize an area. It was nice to be able to show some of that footage and demonstrate, ‘This works.’ I think it got people excited. Those conversations are continuing. I think we continue to gain some momentum. But again, you always want to be cautious and a little bit guarded because there’s still a lot of ground yet to travel.”

https://247sports.com/college/illino...ing-121260638/

All Hail

*yawn* I'm starting to lose count of the number of years this nothing-speak has been going on.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    *yawn* I'm starting to lose count of the number of years this nothing-speak has been going on.
    There will likely be plenty more talking before anything concrete happens. ASU had a several year head start and look where they are now. Illinois wouldn't face the "find a conference" struggle but hopefully they are learning from ASU's plan (or lack there-of) of creating a team before they had a place to play and a conference to join. Hopefully all this excitement isn't going to end up like some of the NHL's recent expansion where new teams pop up like a wild fire and then years later they burn out and die. The NCAA isn't going to prop up a team on life-support like the NHL did in AZ.

Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    There will likely be plenty more talking before anything concrete happens. ASU had a several year head start and look where they are now. Illinois wouldn't face the "find a conference" struggle but hopefully they are learning from ASU's plan (or lack there-of) of creating a team before they had a place to play and a conference to join. Hopefully all this excitement isn't going to end up like some of the NHL's recent expansion where new teams pop up like a wild fire and then years later they burn out and die. The NCAA isn't going to prop up a team on life-support like the NHL did in AZ.

Ryan
    ...and this talk is way different than the "nothing speak" of years past. What was going on for years was people saying "Big Ten school with a good club program and probably viable market...Illinois would make as much sense as any other new team." That's entirely different from the past year. The university is actually taking steps to plan a possible program. They may still be far from actually starting the program, but it's not the same "nothing speak" that used to be the staple of the annual "who should add D-I men's hockey?" discussions.

Ryan
    See MAAC.

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    See MAAC.
    Yeah, most of the teams survived, but true, that conference was a flash in the pan from a lifespan perspective.
    Stick taps for the MAAC... and Fairfield (never even seen one of their jerseys) / Iona.
    Ryan

Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 09-04-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Yeah, most of the teams survived, but true, that conference was a flash in the pan from a lifespan perspective.
    Stick taps for the MAAC... and Fairfield (never even seen one of their jerseys) / Iona.
    I never will forget blitzing their kids here and their program getting shut down the next Tuesday. The kids and coaches had to know by that point. I've seen it — it's tough. That won't happen to a BI7 team, though.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Thread Information