RPI Engineers 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

Feel badly for the team. Outshot both Dartmouth and Harvard but came up with only one point on the weekend. Really good effort 'though. The challenge now is very stark to say the least. With one weekend left, they need to come up with at least one point against two of the best in the conference, Cornell and Colgate, and hope that Yale strikes out against PU and QU. My gut tells me that two points may be needed, and that is a very tall task.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
      Feel badly for the team. Outshot both Dartmouth and Harvard but came up with only one point on the weekend. Really good effort 'though. The challenge now is very stark to say the least. With one weekend left, they need to come up with at least one point against two of the best in the conference, Cornell and Colgate, and hope that Yale strikes out against PU and QU. My gut tells me that two points may be needed, and that is a very tall task.
      The shot totals from yesterday's game were misleading. The scorekeeper kept inflating RPI's total while not keeping track of Harvard shots. Harvard actually had more zone time than RPI and more shot attempts. Even with a two man advantage for over a minute, you couldn't generate much offense or attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbynorthwest View Post
        The entire process of releasing the previous coach in the summer, claiming the AD had no time because of the men's search was ridiculous. I am of strong belief there were others things that came up that made it happen at that time. The "search" for a new HC was hardly done, though I believe a "promise" of a national search after the season would happen.
        If you ever check out the public relations department, you'll understand why Vines was named to this position.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          If you ever check out the public relations department, you'll understand why Vines was named to this position.
          This doesn't sound like a positive post. Are you talking about how his wife works in that department? I believe that's already been discussed before. This again confirms that they made the easy choice but not necessarily the right choice or the hard choice by actually interviewing candidates that actually have previous experience in women's hockey at the college level. It's somewhat similar to the Brown situation except without the wife.
          Last edited by shelfit; 02-12-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Well, it comes down to really needing a win against two teams we have almost no chance of beating without a Selander-driven miracle. At least the games are at home. We need a point to stay alive (duh), or two to have a coin flip of a shot. Even if we somehow pull down four points, we still won't be guaranteed a spot. We'll just have to see.

RPI KRACH (RRWP): 50.02 (0.3609)

MCTs (Mean/Median/Mode/Range):
            Points - 15.61 / 15 / 15 / 15 - 19
            Rank - 8.82 / 9 / 9 / 7 - 10
            Playoffs - 18.2%
            Most likely opponent - at Clarkson (11.1%)

Conference Rankings:
            1. Colgate
            2. Clarkson
            3. Cornell
            4. SLU
              —————
            5. Quinnipiac
            6. Princeton
            7. Harvard
            8. Yale
              —————
              —————
            9. RPI
            10. Union
            11. Dartmouth
            12. Brown

This Weekend's Playoff Implications:
            Code:
                   |    Cr     |
            _______| W | T | L |
            |  | W |93%|86%|54%|
            |Cg| T |86%|52%|36%|
            |  | L |53%|36%| 0%|
            RPI Points vs. Position:
            Code:
               |     7     8     9    10
            ----------------------------
            15 |              60.3   0.5
            16 |         7.6  13.4   0.0
            17 |         8.1   7.3      
            18 |         2.0   0.3      
            19 |   0.0   0.5   0.0
            RPI Pep Band
            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

I posted this on men's thread, but it is relevant here.

I do not know if the previous coaching staff tried to recruit Kali Flanagan, but any future Olympic player is worth trying to get, especially a legacy.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I will add her to the recruit list on the men's recruit thread when I next post it on Sunday. It looks like she is for the fall since the picture shows her signing a LOI. Also see https://www.neutralzone.net/womens/p...ah-lance-1281/

Edit: Yes, she is arriving in the fall:
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-14-2018, 09:46 AM.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Ralph, I salute you as RPI's biggest and most loyal fan! This is long overdue.🖖

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                    Ralph, I salute you as RPI's biggest and most loyal fan! This is long overdue.��
                    Not of the women's team. There are others here who are more so than I am
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Not of the women's team. There are others here who are more so than I am
                      I didn't say of just the women's team. Overall, you da man!

Comment

Hopefully the girls can get a win this weekend. It would be nice if actually more than 100 fans could show up to such an important weekend. Last week Dartmouth and Harvard both drew 600 when RPI was there. If you look at the stats for attendance, RPI is once again near the bottom. And you can't use the fact that they are low in the standings, because there are lower that draw much higher attendance. It would be very disappointing and demoralizing for the girls to once again see no one at their games this weekend considering how important these games are. I wish the student population would show more school pride and support their teams like other colleges instead of staying in their dorms and playing video games. Its not the determining factor when girls decide on playing for RPI, but I do know that they all talk to each other, and playing in front of 500-1000 fans for every home game as opposed to 98, does get discussed. If their were over 1000 people at each game this weekend, it would show the girls that the school body does care and is supporting them on their playoff push, but don't hold your breath.

Comment

Just saying, two hours of video games is probably more fun for most people than watching us get killed by Cornell and Colgate this weekend. RPI could definitely advertise all athletics better, not just women's hockey, but as much as you deny it as a factor, the team being bad is going to depress attendance.

Looking at the last ten years of RPI Women's hockey, we see the following trend:

As team performance has declined, so has attendance. Not that correlation=causation, but the weighted win percentage and attendance marks are very highly correlated, with an R2 of 0.79.

Attendance stats taken from collegehockeystats.net. In the earlier years, most games reported nice round numbers (e.g., 100 or 150) for attendance, so we should consider those estimates rather than exact numbers.
                          I won't embed it here as this is the women's thread, but here is the same graph, but for the men. For the first half or so of the window, attendance seemed to correlate much better with the previous year's win percentage, but that fell apart in the second half.
                          Last edited by lugnut92; 02-14-2018, 03:17 PM.
                          RPI Pep Band
                          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                            Just saying, two hours of video games is probably more fun for most people than watching us get killed by Cornell and Colgate this weekend. RPI could definitely advertise all athletics better, not just women's hockey, but as much as you deny it as a factor, the team being bad is going to depress attendance.

Looking at the last ten years of RPI Women's hockey, we see the following trend:

As team performance has declined, so has attendance. Not that correlation=causation, but the weighted win percentage and attendance marks are very highly correlated, with an R2 of 0.79.

Attendance stats taken from collegehockeystats.net. In the earlier years, most games reported nice round numbers (e.g., 100 or 150) for attendance, so we should consider those estimates rather than exact numbers.
                            I won't embed it here as this is the women's thread, but here is the same graph, but for the men. For the first half or so of the window, attendance seemed to correlate much better with the previous year's win percentage, but that fell apart in the second half.
                            Attendance ALWAYS lags success and frankly I don't trust those women's hockey attendance numbers at all.

What someone needs to do is find another group from campus but can be off campus, that would lend their support and show up to games.

There are many schools that don't even support the men's program even when winning. It's an attitude that shows from the very top down.

Comment

And these graphs exactly express what I have been trying to say. Even when the team was doing better, no attendance. Yet teams that are much below RPI, draw 600. In other words, you can't say poor attendance because of poor record. That's a cop out. And to say that they have no chance this weekend might not be quite true as well. They lost to #1 ranked Clarkson in OT and lost to Cornell by 1 goal. Both those games could have gone either way. Have you noticed how many games RPI has lost this year by 1. I wonder how many of those 1 goal loss games would have been wins if there were 800 screaming fans cheering them on. Whether you believe it or not, it does make a difference. RPIs home opener this year drew in the 80s if I recall. Not good!!!! Just my 2 cents worth

Comment

The graph shows that as the team has gotten worse, attendance has gone from bad to terrible. What I was actually trying to say is that it's kind of silly to wish for attendance to improve when we're just not good. It's obvious that our attendance at women's games has always been bad, but it's not likely to change unless we actually make some noise in the ECAC.

Also, the team has lost just as many games by 3 or more as they have by 1. How many of those one goal losses would have been more if it weren't for Selander?
                                RPI Pep Band
                                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Working...
                                X