Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 74

Thread: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

  1. #21
    mascot extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,884

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by rpi82 View Post
    Given the source of our last two women's coaches (assistants from the men's program), I wonder if Brian Vines has lined a position for the coming year. He certainly has more experience than either of our women's team assistants. Perhaps he'd make a good interim coach while retaining the current assistants in their present roles to provide experience on the women's side.

    As for this entire process, it's insane. "Interim coach" is a title that should only be used if you have to make an in-season appointment due to a major issue. Burke had just come into alignment with the new dynamics of recruitment which seems to have evolved from the men's side. Increasingly players are committing two and even three years out. Having a 9 month interim is a formula for losing all of the current recruits while putting the new, mid--2018 version in the unenviable position of starting from scratch with few freshman (at least when you terminate at the end of the year you generally keep most of the freshman if, for no other reason, than it's too late to make alternate plans) and no pipeline. Can you imagine even trying to recruit players for the next nine months? What can you tell them about the future of the program?
    As for your first sentence, to be fair, RPI launched a DIII program knowing that it would eventually go to DI, and since women's hockey was relatively new at the time, Bill Cahill was the logical choice to get the team established, and was doing just that. Fridgen was well-established and as it turned out, would spend the next ten seasons as the men's coach. In Burke's case, the sudden death of Cahill (with two and a half weeks left before the season) sort of left RPI in a lurch, so they really had nowhere else to turn. They haven't really HAD to take their time with the women's team. Agreed that the timing of Burke's release was terrible given the circumstances, but as I said before, it's easier to hire an interim than a brand new coach at this point.
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

    WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

  2. #22
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    185,359

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    There was a post on the RPI-Sports mailing list apparently by Evan Tironese's father that he heard that the new women's coach is indeed Bryan Vines. He asked for confirmation. I wonder if he read rpi82's post.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 06-27-2017 at 01:38 AM.

  3. #23
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    185,359

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    There was a post on the RPI-Sports mailing list apparently by Evan Tironese's father that he heard that the new women's coach is indeed Bryan Vines. He asked for confirmation. I wonder if he read rpi82's post.

  4. #24
    Conductor emeritus
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    3,005

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    There it is. Given that he's carrying the interim tag, I don't know if it's really fair to expect Vines to "turn around" the program, but hopefully he can at the very least put us more comfortably in the playoffs (i.e., competing for 5th and 6th, not scrapping for 8th).
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

    2014-2015 ECAC Pick the Standings Last Place
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner Up

  5. #25
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut92 View Post
    There it is. Given that he's carrying the interim tag, I don't know if it's really fair to expect Vines to "turn around" the program, but hopefully he can at the very least put us more comfortably in the playoffs (i.e., competing for 5th and 6th, not scrapping for 8th).
    If he wants serious consideration for other HC positions or higher level AC positions it's completely fair. You expect the women to skate and play hard don't you?

    You might want to define "turn around" as well.

  6. #26
    Conductor emeritus
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    3,005

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    If he wants serious consideration for other HC positions or higher level AC positions it's completely fair. You expect the women to skate and play hard don't you?

    You might want to define "turn around" as well.
    By "turn around" I mean build the program into contending for the top of the ECAC and tourney berths. Obviously I'd like him to recruit well and start us down that path, but if he's only here for one year, you can't expect him to do it all.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

    2014-2015 ECAC Pick the Standings Last Place
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner Up

  7. #27
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut92 View Post
    By "turn around" I mean build the program into contending for the top of the ECAC and tourney berths. Obviously I'd like him to recruit well and start us down that path, but if he's only here for one year, you can't expect him to do it all.
    But doesn't that make the point. Only one year.

  8. #28
    mascot extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,884

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    But doesn't that make the point. Only one year.
    We don't know that either, though. He is "interim" for a year, if he proves himself, more than likely he'll stay on.

    When Cahill died, Burke was the "interim" coach too.
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

    WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    We don't know that either, though. He is "interim" for a year, if he proves himself, more than likely he'll stay on.

    When Cahill died, Burke was the "interim" coach too.
    He is interim in name only simply because they do have to follow proper protocol. Make no mistake about it, this is your head coach for some time to come. After all, his wife works in the athletic department too. The ONLY way this won't be true is if he somehow royally screws up, and he has more than enough coaching experience in general to not screw up. Besides, his wife will hopefully be able to help him figure out how to deal with a team of women. I'm going to predict a better record next season than they had this season, which I know isn't a very bold prediction, but there it is anyway.
    Last edited by shelfit; 06-28-2017 at 11:02 AM.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    34

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    We don't know that either, though. He is "interim" for a year, if he proves himself, more than likely he'll stay on.When Cahill died, Burke was the "interim" coach too.
    You say "interim" like that's a good thing. Great Burke finished bringing the program to DI which would have happened no matter who was at the helm. The record otherwise speaks for itself, and that similar record got SA canned.

    Would you be OK with an "interim" coach title for the men's team? How much would it cost to do a national search? Don't need to hire a firm, do it in house.

    Again Vines may be great and my guess he will be HC as there are other connections; long as he doesn't really screw something up. It screams at the edges of Title IX

  11. #31
    mascot extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,884

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Northbynorthwest View Post
    You say "interim" like that's a good thing. Great Burke finished bringing the program to DI which would have happened no matter who was at the helm. The record otherwise speaks for itself, and that similar record got SA canned.

    Would you be OK with an "interim" coach title for the men's team? How much would it cost to do a national search? Don't need to hire a firm, do it in house.

    Again Vines may be great and my guess he will be HC as there are other connections; long as he doesn't really screw something up. It screams at the edges of Title IX
    Would I be ok with it? Well, that depends on the circumstances. Given the fact (don't take into consideration how the firing happened, just look at the fact that it DID happen) that there is only a couple of months before the season starts, yes, I'm ok with it, and would be if something similar happened with the men's program. Why? Well, good question. Having the "interim" label at least gives the program some sort of continuity. It IS a bit easier to call recruits who are in danger of leaving and saying "Hi, I'm (insert name), the new coach of (program.) I am taking over the team on an interim basis, and hopefully, you and I can help right the ship and take this program to bigger heights than ever before," rather than "Hi, I'm (insert name), the (position) at (program). We are in the process of hiring a new coach, and, while we don't yet know who that will be, we hope that you will stick with us while we attempt to the right the ship."

    Now, I don't know about you, but option 1 sounds much more appealing to someone coming in. Happens all of the time in other revenue-producing sports. Why does that happen if its so bad to have the interim title?

    On a side note, Alot of fans here who don't normally care or follow RPI women's hockey are now talking about it, which is a good thing. So either they are now interested or just taking another opportunity to rag on the RPI leadership. So, now let me ask you this: If you are someone who normally doesn't care about the women's hockey program, what makes you any different than the administration?
    Last edited by jericho; 06-28-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

    WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

  12. #32
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    40,719

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    I might as well chime in. I'm a little more like DrD was with the men when it comes to the women, where I used to follow the women's program, but sort of dropped out of favor from disappointment with how the team's doing. I'd like to see our women do well, but will be a bit more "fair weather", at least compared to my support for the men's team. I'm excited to see a change for the women, a little concerned we're bringing over what we had from the men, but it's now Vines at the helm, so I cannot pass any of Appert's sins onto him. The ladies have exactly the same opportunity as the men, and I look forward to giving the same support to both teams.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    34

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    Would I be ok with it? Well, that depends on the circumstances. Given the fact (don't take into consideration how the firing happened, just look at the fact that it DID happen) that there is only a couple of months before the season starts, yes, I'm ok with it, and would be if something similar happened with the men's program. Why? Well, good question. Having the "interim" label at least gives the program some sort of continuity. It IS a bit easier to call recruits who are in danger of leaving and saying "Hi, I'm (insert name), the new coach of (program.) I am taking over the team on an interim basis, and hopefully, you and I can help right the ship and take this program to bigger heights than ever before," rather than "Hi, I'm (insert name), the (position) at (program). We are in the process of hiring a new coach, and, while we don't yet know who that will be, we hope that you will stick with us while we attempt to the right the ship."

    Now, I don't know about you, but option 1 sounds much more appealing to someone coming in. Happens all of the time in other revenue-producing sports. Why does that happen if its so bad to have the interim title?

    On a side note, Alot of fans here who don't normally care or follow RPI women's hockey are now talking about it, which is a good thing. So either they are now interested or just taking another opportunity to rag on the RPI leadership. So, now let me ask you this: If you are someone who normally doesn't care about the women's hockey program, what makes you any different than the administration?
    I do not find option one appealing, as in I may or may not be here. Much better to have someone that you KNOW is solid. There is rarely and interim in revenue sports. usually a mess when there is, Ed Orgeron

    They are talking about it because the situation has been handled poorly. Care about the woman's program and see the administration as handling it VERY poorly is my view and reason for comments.

    Again Vines may be great and hope that he is. There is talent on that team but not been used properly in my opinion.

  14. #34
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    185,359

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018




    The full video: http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...tomlinson.aspx
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 06-29-2017 at 04:20 PM.

  15. #35
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    185,359

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018



  16. #36
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    185,359

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018


  17. #37
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    More coaching changes, good luck Jake, you'll be closer.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    More coaching changes, good luck Jake, you'll be closer.
    Assuming this revelation is correct, we see the downside of the interim head coach label. Can you even hire an "interim assistant?"

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sunny SoCal - Home of the Cup
    Posts
    192

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    More coaching changes, good luck Jake, you'll be closer.
    Where did Jake go?

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    338

    Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

    Ohio? Seems like the Buckeyes have not been able to find a suitable replacement for Jess Koizumi. Cutting it close like they did last year!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •