Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Engineers 2017-2018

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
    Hey Lugnut92, just a question for you based on geography, (your profile has you in New Haven) have you heard any rumblings about Sacred Heart joining a league and shedding the independent status? The CHA seems a viable option. With the consortium breaking down and Holy Cross joining Hockey East scheduling games may be a challenge for SHU. I know the program is kind of the step-child of D1 but all indications are that they are recruiting better players and hope to be more competitive next season.
    I have no idea, sorry.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

These are tough times for RPI hockey. Both the men's and women's teams went down to shutout losses today. The women's team now has an average goal production of about 1 1/2 goals per game. I haven't done a careful check of the historical record but I think that it is safe to say that never before in RPI hockey history have we seen such a dismal combined record of the two teams. RPI has a proud hockey history and this sport is king (and queen) on campus, as the only D1 sport for the institution. But I worry that the flame of RPI hockey pride is flickering.

Both teams have new coaches this year, and so far, their impact is unimpressive. But fans need to keep in mind that they are both working with teams inherited from their predecessors and it is too soon to pass judgement. Cold comfort, I know, in these tough times, but both coaches deserve the benefit of the doubt and the players deserve continued support. After all, it is still entertaining hockey, at least for fanatics like me.

Comment

• Originally posted by hab View Post
          After all, it is still entertaining hockey, at least for fanatics like me.
          Probably only for a fan like you. I would never have used the word entertaining to describe RPI women's hockey. I would have said things like boring, sloppy, uninspired, unmotivated, unimpressive, without direction and intention, frustrating, unrealized potential, disappointing, and incredibly poorly coached, just to name a few. Maybe that's just to an overall fan of women's hockey like me. (This is mostly directed to the former coach and his staff over the years)
          Last edited by shelfit; 02-03-2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            Probably only for a fan like you. I would never have used the word entertaining to describe RPI women's hockey. I would have said things like boring, sloppy, uninspired, unmotivated, unimpressive, without direction and intention, frustrating, unrealized potential, disappointing, and incredibly poorly coached, just to name a few. Maybe that's just to an overall fan of women's hockey like me. (This is mostly directed to the former coach and his staff over the years)
            This statement might mean something if Shelfit actually watched the games, but...

Comment

This statement might mean something if Shelfit actually watched the games, but...
              Oh but I do (must be sort of self-imposed punishment). That's why I'd say frustrating and uninspired/unimpressive are the terms that best fit the previous coach and his efforts behind the bench. Nice try though. Now that I really think about it, you might have something there. Maybe I should stop watching and following them at all. It would certainly have saved me a ton of aggrevation all these years. Instead I chose to watch and hope for better days ahead, and that's what I still hope for all the players. They deserve to be well coached for a change and who knows what could happen after that! I'll give this new guy a couple of years to show his stuff. I certainly got my wish after several years of stating my opinion about the inabilities of the previous coach and how the program was doomed under his watch. Now it's a fresh start for everyone, but the new coach better have a positive impact pretty quick, as in a couple of recruiting years. It won't take long to see if there is cause for hope or not.
              Last edited by shelfit; 02-03-2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                These are tough times for RPI hockey. Both the men's and women's teams went down to shutout losses today. The women's team now has an average goal production of about 1 1/2 goals per game. I haven't done a careful check of the historical record but I think that it is safe to say that never before in RPI hockey history have we seen such a dismal combined record of the two teams. RPI has a proud hockey history and this sport is king (and queen) on campus, as the only D1 sport for the institution. But I worry that the flame of RPI hockey pride is flickering.

Both teams have new coaches this year, and so far, their impact is unimpressive. But fans need to keep in mind that they are both working with teams inherited from their predecessors and it is too soon to pass judgement. Cold comfort, I know, in these tough times, but both coaches deserve the benefit of the doubt and the players deserve continued support. After all, it is still entertaining hockey, at least for fanatics like me.
                Gotta love hockey! In 24 hrs, climbing out of the depths of despair . The men's team gets up off the mat and beats #1 Cornell. The women beat Princeton to keep their playoff hopes alive (need to sweep next weekend at Dartmouth and Harvard, 'though).

Comment

Hey, we got a win! We're still alive! That said, it's another weekend of must-win games as we head to New England to take on Dartmouth and Harvard. We really need at least three points.

RPI KRACH (RRWP): 56.55 (0.3850)

MCTs (Mean/Median/Mode/Range):
                  Points - 16.91 / 17 / 16 / 14 - 22
                  Rank - 8.45 / 9 / 9 / 6 - 11
                  Playoffs - 43.3%
                  Most likely opponent - at Clarkson (25.7%)

Conference Rankings:
                  1. Clarkson
                  2. Colgate
                  3. SLU
                  4. Cornell
                    —————
                  5. Quinnipiac
                  6. Princeton
                  7. Harvard
                  8. Yale
                    —————
                    —————
                  9. RPI
                  10. Union
                  11. Dartmouth
                  12. Brown

This Weekend's Playoff Implications:
                  Code:
                         |    Ha     |
                  _______| W | T | L |
                  |  | W |86%|55%|33%|
                  |Da| T |63%|33%|13%|
                  |  | L |40%|12%| 5%|
                  RPI Points vs. Position:
                  Code:
                     |     6     7     8     9    10    11
                  ----------------------------------------
                  14 |                     5.1   2.1   0.0
                  15 |                     6.8   1.6     
                  16 |         0.0   5.5  22.1   1.0     
                  17 |         0.3   6.8  11.2   0.2     
                  18 |   0.1   4.6  12.8   6.1   0.0     
                  19 |   0.4   3.9   3.3   0.5   0.0     
                  20 |   1.1   2.8   0.7   0.0           
                  21 |   0.4   0.3   0.0                 
                  22 |   0.1   0.0   0.0
                  RPI Pep Band
                  GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                  2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                  2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

14 is RPI 2019 recruit Julia Blitz. The picture was apparently taken by her father. The article is in large part about Olympian Haley Skarupa who was a teammate on the Washington Pride of Alexa Gruschow.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Oh but I do (must be sort of self-imposed punishment). That's why I'd say frustrating and uninspired/unimpressive are the terms that best fit the previous coach and his efforts behind the bench. Nice try though. Now that I really think about it, you might have something there. Maybe I should stop watching and following them at all. It would certainly have saved me a ton of aggrevation all these years. Instead I chose to watch and hope for better days ahead, and that's what I still hope for all the players. They deserve to be well coached for a change and who knows what could happen after that! I'll give this new guy a couple of years to show his stuff. I certainly got my wish after several years of stating my opinion about the inabilities of the previous coach and how the program was doomed under his watch. Now it's a fresh start for everyone, but the new coach better have a positive impact pretty quick, as in a couple of recruiting years. It won't take long to see if there is cause for hope or not.
                      So...if we are to believe you Shelfit...you have been nothing but bored by RPI hockey for many years and yet you have been watching their games regularly! It must suck to be you. And now you are already anticipating jumping on the new coach if he doesn't produce results in a couple years. And you expect us to believe that you will be watching the games all along the way. Your silly vendetta is just far too transparent...give it up. You don't watch the games, troll.

Comment

So...if we are to believe you Shelfit...you have been nothing but bored by RPI hockey for many years and yet you have been watching their games regularly! It must suck to be you. And now you are already anticipating jumping on the new coach if he doesn't produce results in a couple years. And you expect us to believe that you will be watching the games all along the way. Your silly vendetta is just far too transparent...give it up. You don't watch the games, troll.
                        Frustrated beyond measure is a more accurate description than bored, actually. I'm giving the new coach a short timeframe because my opinion is it was an easy hire for the school, not a thorough search process to find the best candidate possible....pretty lazy on their part....and that's a concern/red flag regarding the school's commitment to the women's program. I think there were plenty of other candidates that had actual prior experience coaching women's college hockey. I really don't care what you believe. Your posts are laughable at best. That my posts seem to bother you so much is funny as hell and is more entertaining than I could have anticipated. Next time I'm watching the team play I'll get a good chuckle thinking of you and how genuinely stupid you are. I'll have to remind myself that I'm not actually watching. ROTF LMAO
                        Last edited by shelfit; 02-09-2018, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Frustrated beyond measure is a more accurate description than bored, actually. I'm giving the new coach a short timeframe because my opinion is it was an easy hire for the school, not a thorough search process to find the best candidate possible....pretty lazy on their part....and that's a concern/red flag regarding the school's commitment to the women's program. I think there were plenty of other candidates that had actual prior experience coaching women's college hockey. I really don't care what you believe. Your posts are laughable at best. That my posts seem to bother you so much is funny as hell and is more entertaining than I could have anticipated. Next time I'm watching the team play I'll get a good chuckle thinking of you and how genuinely stupid you are. I'll have to remind myself that I'm not actually watching. ROTF LMAO
                          Considering how the men's coach search was done, it isn't clear that the team would have found a better candidate rom a longer search. Also, although I expect him to still be around next season, isn't Vines still the interim coach?
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Considering how the men's coach search was done, it isn't clear that the team would have found a better candidate rom a longer search. Also, although I expect him to still be around next season, isn't Vines still the interim coach?
                            The entire process of releasing the previous coach in the summer, claiming the AD had no time because of the men's search was ridiculous. I am of strong belief there were others things that came up that made it happen at that time. The "search" for a new HC was hardly done, though I believe a "promise" of a national search after the season would happen.

Granted you're judged on W-L, and there are positives in the style of play this year, no question better than last year(s) due to the HC. What will happen is a crap shoot in my judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              All three of the most recent RPI women's coaches have been plucked from being assistant coaches on the men's team. It does give the appearance of having chosen someone convenient and known to the AD, versus someone identified as a strong prospect for coaching women's hockey at a high level. However, we are all armchair QBs on these matters, and for that reason I am not about to write off Vines. Only two good outcomes from this, for now: either 1) Vines impresses with his coaching and recruiting, or 2) RPI, for the first time in its history, does a serious search for a coach with the capability to build a D1 competitor.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                                All three of the most recent RPI women's coaches have been plucked from being assistant coaches on the men's team. It does give the appearance of having chosen someone convenient and known to the AD, versus someone identified as a strong prospect for coaching women's hockey at a high level. However, we are all armchair QBs on these matters, and for that reason I am not about to write off Vines. Only two good outcomes from this, for now: either 1) Vines impresses with his coaching and recruiting, or 2) RPI, for the first time in its history, does a serious search for a coach with the capability to build a D1 competitor.
                                Well the 1st coach made lots of sense as he was planning the move from D3 to D1, good transition as he was successful at D3. Unfortunate circumstances so coach 2 was stepped in, just as the season starts to continue the transition. Good initial results with 1st coaches players then downhill, and stagnant for too long. Coach 3 is hired late very end of June, also lose an Asst so that job has to be filled first before much of other things get done. Obviously the verdict is out on Vines.

No matter how you slice it, all the AD's in that time were not worth their salt as far as the women's program goes. Really no excuse for it and frankly again could be some of the reason for the need of the late hiring of Vines. Look behind the scenes, someone saw smoke.

Comment

Working...
                                X