Clarkson
    Why they will
    1) It’s an Olympic year (see 2014)
    2) Coaching Staff is as good as any in Women’s College Hockey
    3) Shea Tiley in Goal
    4) Neutral Zones #4 Rated incoming Freshman Class
    5) Returning players scored 83 goals last season
    Why they will not
    1) Leadership and play of the graduated Cayley Mercer and Genevieve Bannon, 42 goals and 68 assists, leaders on penalty killing and power play
    2) Returning Senior Forwards scored 1 goal last season
    3) Time for another Eastern Team to win one (How about it Grant)
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Re: Why my team will/will not be the NC$$ Champ in 2018

Why Penn State will not be NCAA champ in 2018:
    1) A new coach (thankfully) that has to purge the old nonsense first (thankfully), but that already makes 2017-18 a winning season.
    2) For players and fans alike, Penn State getting a new coach is like winning a national championship anyway, so we don't need no stinkin' trophy - yet.
    3) Okay, and Penn State lost its two most productive offensive weapons to graduation (Laura Bowman and Amy Petersen) and there's nobody behind them who can fill those skates right now. Brooke Madsen showed a ton of promise as a freshman, and is probably the offensive player with the most promise (not having seen the incoming freshmen).

Comment

Alright I'll play

Boston College
      Why they will
      1) It’s an Olympic year (ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!)
      2) Coaching Staff is as good as any in Women’s College Hockey
      3) Katie Burt in Goal
      4) Neutral Zones #5 Rated incoming Freshman Class, #2 by average rating
      5) Returning players scored 81 goals last season
      6) The wo-man... the wo-myth... the wo-Barnes
      Why they will not
      1) Leadership and play of the graduated Andie Anastos (still on campus playing hoops next year!) and Kristyn Capizzano
      2) Returning Senior Forwards scored 15 goal last season
      3) Primed for a big push in '18-'19
      4) Keller and Flanagan are both on Team USA

Realistically, BC's probably looking at being right around what they were this year -- in a battle for the top 4. They're setting themselves up for a monster '18-'19 though. Need to bring in a big-time goalie.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Minnesota

Why they will?

-THE coaching staff... they have 4 of the last 6 titles.
        -Zoom boom is coming.
        -Ridder.
        -Oh, and one less team in green uniforms to worry about.

Why they wont?

-Still too many teams in green uniforms (especially the nursing college).
        -The talent drain is finally catching up to them.
        -Defense.
        -Goaltending.

This may turn out to be the worst Gopher team, record wise, in a number of years... But by season's end they just might figure things out and we will see if the much hyped recruiting class can live up to the hype.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

So who is the favorite? Someone has to be, even if that team is hard to recognize with the subtraction taking place.

BC might be setting up for a star-studded roster a year from now, but that hasn't proven to be enough for the Eagles in the past. Will they be more loaded than Wisconsin and Minnesota in 2108-19? Debatable, but probably not. They'll be back to young in net, so they might be better served thinking 2017-18 is their best chance to get it done. Other Hockey East teams -- BU likely has as good an offensive duo as any team in the country with Bach and Leslie, but until the Terriers are more solid in net, it is hard to picture them winning three straight in the NCAAs. Northeastern will need to have the level of play around the country slump quite a bit before it becomes possible that they'd emerge on top, and at that point, it's anyone's championship.

The WCHA rosters are just plain lousy by the league's usual standards. The league still won it the last time that was the case, but I think the fact that the circuit will have so many okay teams but a shortage of really good ones will produce very pedestrian records, and perhaps, no NCAA hosts. At a certain point, perhaps I'll be able to look at the rosters of the three national tournament teams and see what they are bringing back instead of what they lost, but I'm not there yet.

Robert Morris may not be that far away. You look at the Colonials roster and it compares much more favorably with the rest of the country than it typically would. They lose their starter in net, so they'll be like the other contenders in the CHA, Syracuse and Mercyhurst, where they can go only as far as goaltending will let them.

On paper, the eventual winner should come from the ECAC. It was the deepest league last year and that should continue. Clarkson has figured out how to play its best hockey when in matters most, and this is a season like four years ago where its roster might be as good as there is. St. Lawrence was right there for most of the season, but faded badly at the end, and now has to replace its best center and D. Still, that's fewer holes than most other teams are trying to fill. With no dominant offenses around, strong defensive teams like Quinnipiac and Cornell will be even more of a threat. Throw in Princeton, with its top-level young talent, and Colgate, which may have as talented a roster as any team, and no other league is even close to matching the top half of the ECAC. Which one wins? I'll narrow it down to one of the "C" teams, and I'll order the likelihood Clarkson, Cornell, Colgate.

Sorry, this doesn't fit the thread's format, but the spirit of the topic is in the right place.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            So who is the favorite? Someone has to be, even if that team is hard to recognize with the subtraction taking place.

BC might be setting up for a star-studded roster a year from now, but that hasn't proven to be enough for the Eagles in the past. Will they be more loaded than Wisconsin and Minnesota in 2108-19? Debatable, but probably not. They'll be back to young in net, so they might be better served thinking 2017-18 is their best chance to get it done. Other Hockey East teams -- BU likely has as good an offensive duo as any team in the country with Bach and Leslie, but until the Terriers are more solid in net, it is hard to picture them winning three straight in the NCAAs. Northeastern will need to have the level of play around the country slump quite a bit before it becomes possible that they'd emerge on top, and at that point, it's anyone's championship.

The WCHA rosters are just plain lousy by the league's usual standards. The league still won it the last time that was the case, but I think the fact that the circuit will have so many okay teams but a shortage of really good ones will produce very pedestrian records, and perhaps, no NCAA hosts. At a certain point, perhaps I'll be able to look at the rosters of the three national tournament teams and see what they are bringing back instead of what they lost, but I'm not there yet.

Robert Morris may not be that far away. You look at the Colonials roster and it compares much more favorably with the rest of the country than it typically would. They lose their starter in net, so they'll be like the other contenders in the CHA, Syracuse and Mercyhurst, where they can go only as far as goaltending will let them.

On paper, the eventual winner should come from the ECAC. It was the deepest league last year and that should continue. Clarkson has figured out how to play its best hockey when in matters most, and this is a season like four years ago where its roster might be as good as there is. St. Lawrence was right there for most of the season, but faded badly at the end, and now has to replace its best center and D. Still, that's fewer holes than most other teams are trying to fill. With no dominant offenses around, strong defensive teams like Quinnipiac and Cornell will be even more of a threat. Throw in Princeton, with its top-level young talent, and Colgate, which may have as talented a roster as any team, and no other league is even close to matching the top half of the ECAC. Which one wins? I'll narrow it down to one of the "C" teams, and I'll order the likelihood Clarkson, Cornell, Colgate.

Sorry, this doesn't fit the thread's format, but the spirit of the topic is in the right place.
            Well written and thought out even if the format is a bit using a hockey term off side .

Getting away from the thread format, as for Clarkson as a favorite to pull a repeat as the ECAC Champ or get to the Frozen Four and win it all:

Senior class has 2 all stars in Savanna Harmon D and Shea Tiley G.
            Up front is really lacking in goal scoring.
            Only one goal and 12 assists last year from Lefler, Titus and Fournier and a +/- of only +4 combined Vs +19 average for the rest of the returnees.
            The junior class of Gabel, McGill, Vinkle and Mariani (not Marinara as she was described by the announcer in the NC$$ championship game highlites ) scored 46 goals with Gabel leading the way with 21G/20A. Her scoring really picked up in the latter part of the season when she was paired with Mercer and Bannon so it will be interesting to see if she can develop that same goal scoring capability this season. Keenan and Pozzebon are both capable D with Pozzebon adding some scoring capability with 8G.
            The sophomore class has 2 members of the ECAC All Rookie Team in Shelton D and Pejzlova F. One member of this class, Katherine Beaumier F did not play last season. Not sure why? Taylor Turnquist D is the other member of this class that saw significant playing time. Jenna Brenneman G only played in a couple of games.
            The freshman class according to Neutralzone.net is supposedly the 3rd or 4th best class in the country. How quickly this class adapts to Division I hockey will go a long way in determining if Clarkson is a National Contender. Castonguay G from the JWHL will battle Brenneman as the backup to Tiley. Two defensemen in Mitchell and Hector played for the Canadian U18 team. Three capable forwards in Stoddard and Pidgeon from the PWHL and Boyle from the JWHL should shore up some of the scoring lacking in the senior class. And finally what some have said is the best recruit to ever attend Clarkson is Elizabeth Giguere from Limoilou from the CEGEP in Quebec. Last season in 21 games she had 32g/37A for 69 points. She also is coming in as a 20 year old freshman. Should be interesting to see how she in particular will play at the collegiate level.
            I'm sure Matt Desrosiers and his staff will have the team ready. Let's see if they can produce.
            Last edited by vicb; 06-18-2017, 01:20 PM.
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

UND dropping hockey could be a big blow to the WCHA stranglehold of NCAA championships. Unless the other 4 of MN, WI, & UMD pick it up, the ECAC could be the most competitive conference. Many, including me, would argue they were last year, and likely played a big roll in helping Clarkson win it all. It would not surprise me to see another ECAC team win it again.
              I have to laugh whenever the bonehead gets excited about 2018/19, sure BU returns some players, so does MN & WI.
              That's what I hate about the Olympics, it makes the strong stronger and gives them an advantage they don't need or even deserve.
              It also gives some players an advantage because of their birth year, while placing others at a disadvantage.
              geeze, I'm starting to sound like a Utopian.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                I have to laugh whenever the bonehead gets excited about 2018/19, sure BU returns some players, so does MN & WI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re72di5phM0
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Maine won't because: Lack of Depth in talent, Coaching is not on par with rest of Hockey East let along the whole NCAA Women's programs. Lack of funding put into recruiting and making a solid program. Some Talent as in Czech Republic star Teraza Vasinova and Canadien Brooke Stacy.

Comment

UW's team D will not be as good with the top D pair graduating, ARD graduated, and Pankowski/Clark off to the Olympics. UW also has to replace 234 points on the offensive end.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      UW's team D will not be as good with the top D pair graduating, ARD graduated, and Pankowski/Clark off to the Olympics. UW also has to replace 234 points on the offensive end.
                      Badgers, Gophers and Bulldogs will all be down significantly this season. One would think that this will translate to conference equality, the likes of which we haven't seen for quite a while. Too bad the Whioux won't be around to join the fray.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Badgers, Gophers and Bulldogs will all be down significantly this season. One would think that this will translate to conference equality, the likes of which we haven't seen for quite a while. Too bad the Whioux won't be around to join the fray.
                        This might be true but, keep in mind that both the Gophers and the Badgers third lines were probably better that anyone else's first lines in the WCHA last season. Also both teams have two of the top recruiting classes coming in this season. Though the conference may be tighter than past seasons, I still think these 2 teams will battle it out for the WCHA Championship in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                          This might be true but, keep in mind that both the Gophers and the Badgers third lines were probably better that anyone else's first lines in the WCHA last season.
                          I can't speak for the rodents, but I know it to be true from the badger perspective. Very good observation rangersrule.....are you bummed the Rangers traded D Step? I'm pretty bummed out.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                            This might be true but, keep in mind that both the Gophers and the Badgers third lines were probably better that anyone else's first lines in the WCHA last season. Also both teams have two of the top recruiting classes coming in this season. Though the conference may be tighter than past seasons, I still think these 2 teams will battle it out for the WCHA Championship in the end.
                            I would tend to agree with the above but would expect solid seasons from UMD and OSU in particular. I would also see Bemidji, St-Cloud and Mankato picking up points against the aforementioned. One of the bottom 5 will surprise much like UMD did last year. Which one will it be???

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              I can't speak for the rodents, but I know it to be true from the badger perspective. Very good observation rangersrule.....are you bummed the Rangers traded D Step? I'm pretty bummed out.
                              Last season there were a number of games when Coach Johnson put the Badgers third line of Shaver, Wellhausen and Roque out against other teams first lines during the course of a game and they held their own just fine at the very least while often times outplaying their opponent. We will see if that line stays in tact this season or they are split up at all. I like what UW has added on defense too. Bowlby and Buchbinder will fill in nicely for the departed Ryan and Channel.

As for your question about Derek Stepan-- YES, I am bummed that he is no longer a Ranger!! Any time a team loses a consistent player like him it hurts. Unfortunately that is the landscape of todays NHL with the salary cap though!
                              Last edited by rangersrule; 06-27-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X