Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I’m doing a masters at northwestern right now to get out. I’ve lived abroad, it can be wonderful and other countries get it. That’s where I’m going
    Dr. Mrs. and I are too old and our daughter is too set in her ways already. But our grandkids are going to have multiple languages, first tier degrees, and as many international experiences as we can afford.

As Amerika descends into the Paul Ryan Nightmare, the US will see a brain drain that will make 19th century Europe look like a magnet. They'll get their Neo-feudal Prison Camp, but nobody with an IQ over 100 will be in it. They can call it Greater Alabama.

Belo Horizonte is gorgeous, and we already have friends there. Dr. Mrs. can be a housemaid and I can be a street sweeper, as long as it means we breath the fresh air of freedom.
    Last edited by Kepler; 11-29-2017, 09:15 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

One of the republicans who was upset over the protesters against their tax plan (I think it was Graham) said something along the lines of - all of these people are yelling, and if I'm right, they will shut up, but if I'm wrong, we will lose.

The problem is that there is zero evidence that cutting taxes will do anything to the economy. Companies have said they will just pay out more profits, and the top end already have more money than they can spend. We've been through this before, and it almost killed two states. It's so very funny that r's have had to attack people with facts and evidence, just to get their way. From science to economics, it's all about enriching themselves.

To what end, I can't figure that out. Being a big fish in a tiny pond is rather pointless. Vs. being a pretty big fish in an ocean.

Power is odd in how it corrupts.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        One of the republicans who was upset over the protesters against their tax plan (I think it was Graham) said something along the lines of - all of these people are yelling, and if I'm right, they will shut up, but if I'm wrong, we will lose.

The problem is that there is zero evidence that cutting taxes will do anything to the economy. Companies have said they will just pay out more profits, and the top end already have more money than they can spend. We've been through this before, and it almost killed two states. It's so very funny that r's have had to attack people with facts and evidence, just to get their way. From science to economics, it's all about enriching themselves.

To what end, I can't figure that out. Being a big fish in a tiny pond is rather pointless. Vs. being a pretty big fish in an ocean.

Power is odd in how it corrupts.
        They need donors. That's all they care about. What you need to ask yourself is when did everyone stop caring about the United States. When you figure out the answer to that then you can explain the Republican Party.

The good news now is after Trump tweeted yesterday that there was no deal to be had with Chuck and Nancy BEFORE he even met with them (kudos to them for not showing up after that stupid tweet) there will be no debt ceiling deal. So, in exchange for the tax bill being rammed down our throats the Democrats can list as many demands as they want for keeping the government open. Cause there is no way in hell the Republicans can keep the doors open themselves. I would say that every single immigration policy dream the Democrats have should be on the demand list. If the President signs that which he will have to the Republican Party will be destroyed. If he doesn't we have no Government and people really see what Republican rule means.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          I’m doing a masters at northwestern right now to get out. I’ve lived abroad, it can be wonderful and other countries get it. That’s where I’m going
          Awesome. Good luck.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The last few posts here make me sad.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              As long as you don't harm me or my family you can do what you want.
              yet you have no problem harming others through the politicians and policies you support.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                I used to think "**** the orcs". I'm not moving, I'm going to take back my country from them.

There is too many of them though. I think the U.S. is ****ed. If the tides don't turn in a few years, I'll consider expatriating. I still want my retirement home in the Utah desert and the family camp deep in the woods of Maine. I'll have to build a wall to keep the Orcs out though.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  I used to think "**** the orcs". I'm not moving, I'm going to take back my country from them.

There is too many of them though. I think the U.S. is ****ed. If the tides don't turn in a few years, I'll consider expatriating. I still want my retirement home in the Utah desert and the family camp deep in the woods of Maine. I'll have to build a wall to keep the Orcs out though.
                  There are compromise positions on everything. Unfortunately the issues that need those compromises the most fund the campaigns of the winners in Congress. So, nothing really gets done except for tax cuts for that donor class and wars for the highly profitable to the right companies war machine.

Thus, it's pretty much hopeless. Especially when the left can't compromise to keep Trump out of office.

I see a long Government shutdown as the best thing coming this Christmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    There are compromise positions on everything. Unfortunately the issues that need those compromises the most fund the campaigns of the winners in Congress. So, nothing really gets done except for tax cuts for that donor class and wars for the highly profitable to the right companies war machine.

Thus, it's pretty much hopeless. Especially when the left can't compromise to keep Trump out of office.

I see a long Government shutdown as the best thing coming this Christmas.
                    Nobody's compromising anymore. It's all about my side winning and your side being humiliated. Bitter feelings result so when the shoe is on the other foot, the humiliation must be doubled down. Which leads to legislative nuclear war or a stalemate over the threat of mutually assured destruction.

Such is the state of politics right now. Mostly, they're bitter old people that need to go.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

And I won't change. This is a line I cannot cross.
                      voting for the republicans won't stop abortion. they're playing you. you are a fool and are not absolved from your participation in the downfall of our country

Comment

Nobody's compromising anymore.
                        Okay Mr. "that's a line I will not cross"

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Nobody's compromising anymore.
                          Sayeth the guy who votes on a single issue that he refuses to compromise on. Pot, meet kettle.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            BTW, this graphic says a lot. A few surprises, but otherwise a pretty accurate map of educated states with good white collar jobs vs. dying herp-a-derp states:

Most surprising: Illinois having Walmart at #1 with Chicago being loaded with major corporations

Most ironic/sad: Wisconsin having U of Wisconsin with Walker applying across the board cuts to higher education
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              I know I should not give up, but I've had enough. I've been fighting this since 1980, literally every day of my adult life. Every minute of the last 37 years has been another losing battle against the inexorable victory of the greed, stupidity, and hate of reactionaries. This isn't America anymore.

This used to be a truly great country with noble values. 6000 wealthy families and 60 million morons have turned it into a plutocratic sh-thole with all the dignity and humanity of a rendering plant.

I am tired. I watch the dullard joyfulness of my coworkers guffawing as Dump makes another tweet while in the background the GOP cuts everyone's throat but their own, and the lightbulb burns out.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 11-29-2017, 09:24 AM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                Most ironic/sad: Wisconsin having U of Wisconsin with Walker applying across the board cuts to higher education
                                Think about how insane that is for a minute. Especially with what they're willing to give Foxcomm to destroy the environment.

Comment

Working...
                                X