Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 252

Thread: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

  1. #81
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,737

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I believe you are correct about the airlines rules. They may be able to stop you in the course of taking a picture, or even kick you off the plane when they see your do it, but I'd argue that unless they are fairly uniformly suspending passengers for taking any of the thousands of pictures I've seen published from inside of planes after the fact, they'd have a hard time suspending her over this one. I don't believe they can just arbitrarily apply their rules in that way.

    Misappropriation seems a stretch, but sure you can argue it. A lawyer can argue anything they can imaginate up with any chance at all of a given group of yokels buying into it!
    Delta Air Lines is publicly-held, but ultimately a corporation. Yes, they can deny you service, as long as they aren't discriminating against a protected class, and Annie is a white female with a hypocritical persecution complex. You're just defending her because you're a conservative, and hate lawyers that don't agree with you.

    I know this is cited as a defense of those who can't defend their actual argument, but - "imaginate"? Really?

    EDIT: That's really a word? https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/imaginate

    Well then, I'll get off the grammar horse. The rest of my point, stands.

    And yeah, I'm a Delta loyalist. They've $%*$(%*ed me over a couple of times, but that's better than I can say for United or American. Sue me.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-17-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  2. #82
    NEVER DIE! ShirtlessBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop
    Posts
    38,159

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Twitter had some great responses to Ann Coulter:

    http://www.salon.com/2017/07/17/delt...le-tweetstorm/
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

  3. #83
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,737

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?


    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  4. #84
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,737

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    The pic, FWIW:

    https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/statu...45961194348544

    Of course, she got some brown-ish/Arabic-looking woman in "her" seat.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  5. #85
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,206

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Delta Air Lines is publicly-held, but ultimately a corporation. Yes, they can deny you service, as long as they aren't discriminating against a protected class, and Annie is a white female with a hypocritical persecution complex. You're just defending her because you're a conservative, and hate lawyers that don't agree with you.

    I know this is cited as a defense of those who can't defend their actual argument, but - "imaginate"? Really?

    EDIT: That's really a word? https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/imaginate

    Well then, I'll get off the grammar horse. The rest of my point, stands.

    And yeah, I'm a Delta loyalist. They've $%*
    $(%*ed me over a couple of times, but that's better than I can say for United or American. Sue me.
    Everyone is a member of a protected class when it comes to discrimination. Age, sex, race, religion. You can't deny service to white males simply because they're white or male or both.

    You can deny service with a reason, but that reason can't be arbitrarily applied. You said this:


    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    She also photographed the passenger who was assigned to sit in "her" seat, and posted it to Twitter without asking the woman's permission, which is a big no-no, and IMO that action should earn her a lifetime ban from the airline.

    Unless the phrase "that action" is some sort of dangling modifier referring to something else ( and of course we've established your unfamiliarity with the English language, so it could it be, I suppose. ) I took it to mean that the action of photographing a person without permission and posting it should receive a lifetime ban. I don't believe it's illegal in this case and further, since Delta obviously hasn't banned countless other people who have taken and posted photos on their planes, I suggested that doing so here would be an arbitrary application of their rules. They may find reason within her subsequent actions, but I don't believe the one which you referred to can be it.

    So I'm not defending AC because I like her (I was relatively unaware of the story beyond your post) or am conservative, (questionable) but rather because I enjoy pointing out when I think you are wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  6. #86
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    17,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Everyone is a member of a protected class when it comes to discrimination. Age, sex, race, religion. You can't deny service to white males simply because they're white or male or both.

    You can deny service with a reason, but that reason can't be arbitrarily applied. You said this:





    Unless the phrase "that action" is some sort of dangling modifier referring to something else ( and of course we've established your unfamiliarity with the English language, so it could it be, I suppose. ) I took it to mean that the action of photographing a person without permission and posting it should receive a lifetime ban. I don't believe it's illegal in this case and further, since Delta obviously hasn't banned countless other people who have taken and posted photos on their planes, I suggested that doing so here would be an arbitrary application of their rules. They may find reason within her subsequent actions, but I don't believe the one which you referred to can be it.

    So I'm not defending AC because I like her (I was relatively unaware of the story beyond your post) or am conservative, (questionable) but rather because I enjoy pointing out when I think you are wrong.
    You can deny service for any legal reason (which may be limited by the contract of carriage/FAA rules in this instance, which I do not know and don't comment on). You can't deny service to the professional troll because of her race or sex, but you can because you don't like her, or because she's a dead head, or because she wore tennis shoes, whatever.

    Arbitrariness doesn't make it illegal per se. It may be evidence of an ulterior motive, but again, unless that motive is itself illegal, who cares.

  7. #87
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,206

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    You can deny service for any legal reason (which may be limited by the contract of carriage/FAA rules in this instance, which I do not know and don't comment on). You can't deny service to the professional troll because of her race or sex, but you can because you don't like her, or because she's a dead head, or because she wore tennis shoes, whatever.

    Arbitrariness doesn't make it illegal per se. It may be evidence of an ulterior motive, but again, unless that motive is itself illegal, who cares.
    Ok, but if you use a reason that's arbitrary, in the inevitable lawsuit that follows you'll have a very hard time defending that as the actual reason. And you are wide open to any allegation of discrimination the plaintiff's attorney's can come up with. (imaginate!) So effectively, Delta is prevented from using an arbitrary reason unless they just want to be morons. They can say "We don't like you!" Banned!" And if that is the ultimate reason, then that is what they will say, not "She took a picture! Banned!"
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  8. #88

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,761

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    What would you take from Home Depot if you could get away with it??

    http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/18/el...op-shoplifting
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

  9. #89
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,225

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    The percentage of renters, when it comes to domiciles, is at a 50-year high. http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/20/there...ince-1965.html
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  10. #90
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,399

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    The percentage of renters, when it comes to domiciles, is at a 50-year high. http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/20/there...ince-1965.html
    The housing market can't sustain these prices. We're going to see another housing market correction - hopefully not a collapse.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  11. #91
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,225

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    The housing market can't sustain these prices. We're going to see another housing market correction - hopefully not a collapse.
    Or maybe it should collapse, but this time the government shouldn't bail those out that were driving these insane prices. Just like how the bankers were bailed out in 2008.

    Prices are very reasonable in my area. Of course, I don't know if they can get any lower...
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  12. #92
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    63,570

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    The housing market can't sustain these prices. We're going to see another housing market correction - hopefully not a collapse.
    Going to be interesting. They keep trying to destroy Dodd Frank (the only legislation they passed trying to deal with the result of the collapse in '08) and now we may have another one.

    No one went to jail last time.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  13. #93
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,225

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Going to be interesting. They keep trying to destroy Dodd Frank (the only legislation they passed trying to deal with the result of the collapse in '08) and now we may have another one.

    No one went to jail last time.
    Because those throwing fuel on the fire were rewarded, not punished. And how about the repeal of Glass-Steagall? Or the creation of the Federal Reserve, for that matter?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  14. #94
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,399

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Because those throwing fuel on the fire were rewarded, not punished. And how about the repeal of Glass-Steagall? Or the creation of the Federal Reserve, for that matter?
    What would repealing the Federal Reserve do to improve the situation?

    Have you forgotten the issue with the LIBOR in the past few years? The Brits busted a series of large financial companies reporting false data to the LIBOR commission for the sole purpose of fixing the reported LIBOR value to be higher than it should have been so they could make more money.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  15. #95

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,761

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    What would repealing the Federal Reserve do to improve the situation?

    Have you forgotten the issue with the LIBOR in the past few years? The Brits busted a series of large financial companies reporting false data to the LIBOR commission for the sole purpose of fixing the reported LIBOR value to be higher than it should have been so they could make more money.
    Nobody's ever audited the Fed. It needs to be done, just to see where the money is.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

  16. #96
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,225

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    What would repealing the Federal Reserve do to improve the situation?

    Have you forgotten the issue with the LIBOR in the past few years? The Brits busted a series of large financial companies reporting false data to the LIBOR commission for the sole purpose of fixing the reported LIBOR value to be higher than it should have been so they could make more money.
    Maybe the issue is with all of this centralization. Single point of corruption, single point of failure. And they've gotten so powerful with their debt-based systems that people are assassinated for going against it. I bet a number of those bankers didn't commit suicide willingly.

    You took the same arguments we've had about rate manipulations, and just replaced a US system with a UK system. What do these have in common? That's what needs to be fought.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  17. #97
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    17,853
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Nobody's ever audited the Fed. It needs to be done, just to see where the money is.
    Stop jumping down the rabbit hole with flaggy. It's not befitting you.

  18. #98
    lucky penguin
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    16,720

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Stop jumping down the rabbit hole with flaggy. It's not befitting you.
    I bet they'd find so many Benghazis and Arkancides from the Clintons if they did.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

    Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

    Western College Hockey Blog

  19. #99

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Stop jumping down the rabbit hole with flaggy. It's not befitting you.
    Don't you want to know how/what the Fed is doing? "Trust but verify"

  20. #100
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,399

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Don't you want to know how/what the Fed is doing? "Trust but verify"
    The Fed doesn't really operate in secret. You can get the data. It reports its obligations, assets, and operating profits each and every year. Its profits, which the Fed earns solely from the banks, are then turned over the Treasury to help fund the federal government.

    And no matter how public the company, nobody will every fully understand the minutia of a corporation. The same for the Fed. The Fed chair doesn't know what Barney Smith in KC does at his desk all day.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •