Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 5.0: Can a blind nut find a squirrel?

And also, really? The lobbyists are the heroes is your argument?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      And, uh, in one year this administration has proven again and again that it values corporations over people and that consumers don’t really need protection.
      But yeah, I’m sure they’ll do the right thing here ...
      I honestly can’t come up with a single consumer friendly decision they’ve made since I’ve started. And I even tried to stretch in what consumer friendly really means

Hell, I can’t think of more than one or two remotely benevolent things they’ve done.
      Code:
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by sagard View Post
        I'll put it plainly. Nobody (with lobbying power) is going to seriously fight the repeal.

Our internet access will not suffer.
        Yeah it will. Because it's not just about retail service, but wholesale. Your internet packet doesn't go straight from the website you're trying to access to your isp to you, but hits multiple ISPs along the way. Even if you live in an area with multiple ISPs to choose from, you have no control over that path. So if Comcast decides to throttle Netflix across all of their lines, you could be effected even if you have Cox or Verizon or Google fiber.

Comment

• Originally posted by sagard View Post
          I'll put it plainly. Nobody (with lobbying power) is going to seriously fight the repeal.

Our internet access will not suffer.
          How much?
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Too subtle?
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              It's sick, but good imagery. I wonder how many will be sacrificed today on the altar of consumer greed?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

More about The Heist.

To comply with the terms of the Byrd Rule that allows Senate Republicans to bypass a Democratic filibuster, the tax plan must meet two conditions. On the one hand, it needs to comply with the budget resolution's mandate to raise the deficit by no more than $1.5 trillion over 10 years. According to Penn-Wharton, it does that. But on the other hand, it needs to not increase the long-term deficit in the years following.

And here's where Penn-Wharton says that there's a problem: "We estimate that the Senate TCJA continues to reduce revenue in years beyond the 10-year budget window."

Critically, this conclusion does not change when they attempt a "dynamic" score that considers the potential growth-boosting effects of tax cuts. Instead, they find that "the Senate Tax Cuts and Jobs Act reduces federal tax revenue in both the short- and long-run relative to current policy. In the near term, there is a small boost to GDP, but that increase diminishes over time."
                Dynamic scoring is bullsh-t since it assumes economic stimulus comes from tax cuts on corporations and the rich, a conservative myth that has been refuted by 40 years of empirical data. But even using the lie as a crutch the GOP still can't fudge the numbers enough.

The so-called Republican deficit hawks will have nowhere to hide if they allow The Heist. It's going to destroy the economy, not just in the long term by f-cking the middle class, but even in the relative short term with insane deficits as the 1% literally raid the treasury. I don't think any of them have the slightest bit of moral or intellectual integrity, but if they do, now's the time to demonstrate it.
                Last edited by Kepler; 11-24-2017, 04:20 PM.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Some scary things about the heist for American Citizens living and working in Puerto Rico (which is the entire island)

The Republican tax bill has a provision in Section 4303 that imposes a new excise tax of 20 percent on goods manufactured by subsidiaries of U.S. corporations on foreign soil. Because Puerto Rico is treated as foreign under the U.S. tax code, this means that when a parent company buys from its subsidiary in Puerto Rico, it would have to pay the 20 percent excise tax on every purchase. Subsidiaries in the states are not subject to this, but the ones located in commonwealths or territories will be.
                  Pharma is a big industry in Puerto Rico, somehow surviving the loss of tax breaks for American Companies to make stuff there. But the new tax bill would abruptly end that- which is really, really stupid. These are American citizens making stuff, and because of that, they are already subject to stupid shipping rules of the Jones Act- making it cost more to move stuff from there to the US than any other Caribbean island. With the tax bill, there will be IMPORT taxes to the US on stuff MADE IN THE USA.

Really, the same goes for all the rest of the US territories, which cripples the potential economy of them making stuff and selling it to their fellow Americans in any state.

How freaking stupid is that? This, for an island who is having a very tough time recovering from one of the worst natural disasters of all time.

Comment

In more important matters

Big news in the restaurant industry: Arby's is buying casual dining chain Buffalo Wild Wings in a deal worth about $2.4 billion: https://goo.gl/Cqsssy
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Big news in the restaurant industry: Arby's is buying casual dining chain Buffalo Wild Wings in a deal worth about $2.4 billion: https://goo.gl/Cqsssy
                      We all know where this is headed.

Cornell University

Comment

And this for you bitcoin holders

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-stress-tests/
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

BW3 is a MN company. Or it was, until Ving Rhames bought it.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

:-/

I'm not sure how I feel about a bad food company I like buying another bad food company I like.
                            Code:

Comment

Interesting but wrong article on cities by Joel Kotkin. The premise of Playground for the Elites is that major cities politics are moving to the left. And this is problematic in the sense that it creates serious wealth disparities, chaos and a handful of other maladies.

But he's 100% wrong on most of his premises. First, urban wealth disparities are not caused by urban politics but by state and national politics - i.e., taxes and other issues. And disparities are in fact caused by conservative politics of giving tax breaks to the rich and taxing the poor...a lack of education and other social services and the like. Any move towards the 'left' is just an attempt to try to stem the tide of conservative policies that exacerbate wealth disparities. Why are the cities hit by disparities? Because that's where economic opportunity is...and that's where typically the most desirable places to live are. He criticizes many cities for being basket cases like Chicago...while criticizing other cities like SF and Seattle for having skyrocketing prices. But he doesn't acknowledge the fact that most cities have improved yet like Chicago have kept prices reasonable...while increasing prices in other cities are just that they've become easily the best places in the country to live. Conservative sell job.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/pl...tes-15494.html
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                :-/

I'm not sure how I feel about a bad food company I like buying another bad food company I like.
                                It's true. As FF garbage goes, those two are cromulent. Dr. Mrs. & I used to go to BWW religiously (and on Sunday actually) right before grocery shopping so we wouldn't shop hungry.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X