Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huh 1: We could play at Questions

Huh 1: We could play at Questions

A thread for questions that don't fit the other threads.

Inaugural here.

Q1: Should You Ask People Their Politics Before Dating Them?

Up until the last few years I'd have answered "no," but I'm actually leaning "yes" now. Partly it's because of the political and social mitosis going on here, and part of it is probably because my daughter is dating a staffer in the office of Senator Jeff Flake (R-AZ) who, to be fair, sounds like he couldn't care less about his boss's politics and is putting in the time before moving to K Street (like that's better?).
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Re: Huh 1: We could play at Questions

I wouldn't worry about politics, unless it turns out that you're dating a completely in-the-tank Trumpster/Bern-out. Though the odds of dating a full-on Trumpster in most of the major cities in this country, is obviously a lot slimmer than if you live in, say, West Virginia.

Now, if you are from West Virginia, I'm much more likely to question that.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post

Inaugural here.

Up until the last few years I'd have answered "no," but I'm actually leaning "yes" now. Partly it's because of the political and social mitosis going on here, and part of it is probably because my daughter is dating a staffer in the office of Senator Jeff Flake (R-AZ) who, to be fair, sounds like he couldn't care less about his boss's politics and is putting in the time before moving to K Street (like that's better?).
    No, but if it gets serious you need a sworn affidavit saying he or she did not vote for Trump. It's about mental health, not politics.
    Last edited by burd; 06-14-2017 at 01:15 PM.

There are a few other questions that occur to me that I would like to ask that would be a much higher priority....like, are you sure you are free of venereal disease? or, do you have an extremely possessive jealous stalker ex-boyfriend I should know about?

Not sure if I'd actually ask them, but that would matter to me a lot more than her politics!
    Last edited by FreshFish; 06-15-2017 at 07:33 AM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Inaugural here.

Politics is one of the four taboo topics (religion, money, and previous relationships being the other three) when first dating. That being said, you should probably know before it starts getting serious, especially in today's polarized society.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Politics is one of the four taboo topics (religion, money, and previous relationships being the other three) when first dating. That being said, you should probably know before it starts getting serious, especially in today's polarized society.
    Three of those are horrible rules. Unless you have horrible politics, can't manage your money, or have gone nutso on religion, then they're all perfectly understandable as to why you'd avoid them.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Generally speaking, religious nuttery is pretty easy to discern without asking. In many cases, they'll just tell you.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Generally speaking, religious nuttery is pretty easy to discern without asking. In many cases, they'll just tell you.
    True, but some people try to hide it a little. Or they might just be Southern Baptist.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

This is true of right wing nut jobs, too. They can't seem to go more than 5 minutes at a clip without vomiting one of their catch phrases.

It's less of a problem if you're looking for women. Crazy righty females tend to be in their 60s or the sister-wives of Mormon realtors so the odds are very high any good-looking eligible female you encounter will be apolitical or left.

Guys are trickier. First there's the whole Mom's basement Randian libertarian newly hatched from their spider eggs mouthbreather. Tier 2 engineers can still be like that in their 40s. And of course there are the de facto or wanna be silver spooners who will tell you taxation is theft or some other dou-chey thing they picked up at CATO. But that kind of guy will spend the whole date talking about himself so you can ditch him before the dessert course. Finally there's date rapey frat bro who just adopted whatever daddy told him, but frankly live by Uday and Qusay, die by them.
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-14-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Let's Go Red!

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Is preferred tinfoil hat vendor an appropriate topic? Wonder how that goes as a pick-up line: "hey, baby...where do you buy your foil?"

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
    Is preferred tinfoil hat vendor an appropriate topic? Wonder how that goes as a pick-up line: "hey, baby...where do you buy your foil?"
    Favorite pizza joint for child sex?

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Favorite pizza joint for child sex?
    You open with the line "shall we cuck now or cuck later"?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Lucia Apologist

Inaugural here.

No. But you should get an idea fairly quickly whether they are compatible.

I just ask if they want to have sex. Weeds out the religious nutters.

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    Unless you're on a date with a demi-sexual.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    As well as those with other options.

As well as those with other options.
    I see what you did there.

I think the replies in this thread provide the answer.

That being said, I've happened to never date a Republican/conservative, and politics was the least of the differences/issues that arose. It was hardly a blip on the screen.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Crazy righty females tend to be in their 60s or the sister-wives of Mormon realtors so the odds are very high any good-looking eligible female you encounter will be apolitical or left.
    I don't know if I agree with "very high". There are some church-going 20-to-30-something women in urban areas, but they aren't necessarily "crazy" or Trumpers. One can be religious or "spiritual", without being politically conservative, or at least identify as "somewhat conservative" without being clinically insane. You know, doing your best to love thy neighbor, forgive transgressions, and give money/time to the poor - the key message that Jesus actually taught people to live.

Hey, I'm 30 and still single with no prospects at the moment. So, what do I really know about what someone should value in a partner? There's even, allegedly, someone in the world for Flaggy, no matter how equally nuts s/he probably is. Straight conservative* women need a good dicking every once in awhile, too.

*Before you question if that's redundant - yes, I have met a gun-toting lesbian. I went to Michigan Tech, after all. "Where men are men...and so are the women!"

I don't know if I agree with "very high". There are some church-going 20-to-30-something women in urban areas, but they aren't necessarily "crazy" or Trumpers. One can be religious or "spiritual", without being politically conservative, or at least identify as "somewhat conservative" without being clinically insane. You know, doing your best to love thy neighbor, forgive transgressions, and give money/time to the poor - the key message that Jesus actually taught people to live.

Hey, I'm 30 and still single with no prospects at the moment. So, what do I really know about what someone should value in a partner? There's even, allegedly, someone in the world for Flaggy, no matter how equally nuts s/he probably is. Straight conservative* women need a good dicking every once in awhile, too.

*Before you question if that's redundant - yes, I have met a gun-toting lesbian. I went to Michigan Tech, after all. "Where men are men...and so are the women!"
    I have a few liberal women Christian friends. They're not crazy or Trumpers at all.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Thread Information