This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Smoke alarm was eeping gently. Figured the 9V battery was dying so I replaced it. Now, when I reconnect the apparatus it screams loudly and forever.

Archie: the alarm spaceship with 3 tiny prongs protruding: a pair and one solo

Jughead: catcher's mitt disk countersunk into the ceiling with 3 short wires dangling down

Betty: little plastic connector dangling by Jughead's wires and having slots where Archie slides in

I noticed Betty had only 2 of 3 wires from Jughead connected, so I tried her both that way and with the third wire shoved in where it seemed to fit. Archie screams either way.
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-07-2018, 07:43 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Smoke alarm was eeping gently. Figured the 9V battery was dying so I replaced it. Now, when I reconnect the apparatus it screams loudly and forever.

Archie: the alarm spaceship with 3 tiny prongs protruding: a pair and one solo

Jughead: catcher's mitt disk countersunk into the ceiling with 3 short wires dangling down

Betty: little plastic connector dangling by Jughead's wires and having slots where Archie slides in

I noticed Betty had only 2 of 3 wires from Jughead connected, so I tried her both that way and with the third wire shoved in where it seemed to fit. Archie screams either way.
      Hardwired? Maybe you need to get a new one or you've failed to notice that your new abode is burning down around you.

In that case, as my Hebrew friends would say "Lech lecha!"
      Last edited by joecct; 01-07-2018, 10:24 AM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
        Isn't our President at the stage of development where boys light their farts? He should have some cool ideas. Tweet him.
        Aquanet ignites best.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Hardwired? Maybe you need to get a new one or you've failed to notice that your new abode is burning down around you.

In that case, say my Hebrew friends would say "Lech lecha!"
          Let's not forget noises in Kep's head is nothing new.

Comment

You guys are a lot of help...
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Well, had an interesting one last night.

An outlet in the family room, with a turned off lamp plugged into it was warm to the touch. Unplugged the lamp and waited a couple of hours.

Wall around outlet box was not warm (good sign) and the heater duct is 6' away, so ruled out leaky duct work.

Wall outlets are not supposed to be warm to the touch. So I replaced the outlet.

Problem solved.

4° outside. Pipes still good.
              If the lamp wasn't on, how was there any amperage draw to warm the outlet? Was it arcing? and why would it if there was no current draw at the recept?
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                If the lamp wasn't on, how was there any amperage draw to warm the outlet? Was it arcing? and why would it if there was no current draw at the recept?
                That outlet is as old as the house (33 yrs). Only thing I can figure was something broke/got old inside the outlet and caused current to flow.

It had 2 black and 2 white wires attached via the push holes in the back of the outlet. In the new outlet, I attached the wires using the screws.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  You guys are a lot of help...
                  How old is the smoke alarm? >10 years or if you don’t know, time to replace it. Some are 7 years.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

That outlet is as old as the house (33 yrs). Only thing I can figure was something broke/got old inside the outlet and caused current to flow.

It had 2 black and 2 white wires attached via the push holes in the back of the outlet. In the new outlet, I attached the wires using the screws.
                    So there could have been current draw down the line thru those backstabbed connections. Good move using the screw connections, back stabs are better than they used to but still prone to loose connections. If there was something in outlet arcing you would have seen and probably smelled the evidence. Where the outgoing wires went is where your current draw was and the back stabs were loose causing some resistance and therefore heat..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

We're installing a Nest thermostat today. So far, no one has been electrocuted.

Up next, under the cabinet lighting.

Comment

Nest installation was a breeze.

Under the cabinet LEDs has caused us each to take a time out and huff in a corner.

Comment

• Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                          Nest installation was a breeze.

Under the cabinet LEDs has caused us each to take a time out and huff in a corner.
                          It is a common occurrence.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            It is a common occurrence.
                            Hopefully third method is a charm. We tried 2 types of adhesive tape. Now we broke out the liquid epoxy.

Comment

You must not have been using 3M products
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                You must not have been using 3M products
                                Sorry to report: We were, but they were probably not the best solution for this type of project. I usually use the command hooks and strips for many projects and have had excellent results.

Comment

Working...
                                X