Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 934

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

  1. #101
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    10,151

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    What in the world is going on out there

  2. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,098

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Goaltender couldn't stop a beachball and was replaced early in the 2nd period after 2 goals on 3 shots...

  3. #103
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,098

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Expanding a little more on "the good, the bad, and they ugly"...

    With 57 shots on goal, and some of those being very good scoring chances, I was pretty pleased with that aspect. Certainly some issues with turnovers that at times were bad but honestly, your goaltender has to pick you up on some of those and that just didn't happen. That was as ugly as some of the meltdown performances we saw last year from #37.
    Light the Darkness "17"

  4. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,455

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    This looked a lot like last year's team. They can play well offensively, and they can play well defensively, but they can't do both at the same time. The first period and a half saw a lot of very good Gopher chances, and a lot of defensive miscues. They tightened up defensively after the goalie change, but didn't generate a lot of scoring opportunities in the third despite controlling the puck for the overwhelming part of the period. There were a couple of times that Merrimack had to go long stretches without a line change, including a power play on which three of the four penalty killers were out for the entire two minutes. But Minnesota didn't do much with it.

    The defense struggled. Katie Robinson made some horrible passes right out to a Merrimack player in the slot. Emily Brown lost her man on a number of occasions, including at least one goal. It was not a good night for Syd Peters to also struggle; three of the Merrimack goals were a complete team effort.

    The forwards looked . . . better. Caitlyn Reilly was great backchecking, and pushed several shots just inches wide. The second line continues to look good at the offensive end; Zumwinkle really ought to wear number 88, because that's some military grade ordnance. The defensive play is more iffy. Despite the goal, Zumwinkle finished at -2, and Agnew and Schammel were both -3. The +/- is a bit misleading, because in a couple of cases, it was the blueliners that botched it badly, but the backchecking didn't help.

    Taylor Williamson didn't get a shift after the third Merrimack goal. She's either injured, are was inexcusably lax on that play. One of the d-men, Skarzynski I think, had pinched and it was her responsibility to cover, and to call the effort half-hearted was being kind. Katie Robinson didn't play the resulting rush all that well, but Williamson hung her out to dry, and then Peters left a bad rebound. There's a lot of work to do here.

    And remember, if you had one more goal, you'd be Kippen Keller.

  5. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,455

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Goaltender couldn't stop a beachball and was replaced early in the 2nd period after 2 goals on 3 shots...
    Peters had a bad game, but saying that there were ". . . some issues with turnovers that were bad . . ." drastically undersells the breakdowns in defensive play.

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,098

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Peters had a bad game, but saying that there were ". . . some issues with turnovers that were bad . . ." drastically undersells the breakdowns in defensive play.
    And likewise saying Peters had a bad game is underselling it although jeez...Drastically...Nah.

    And BTW, Merrimack was very excited and were quite exuberant coming off the bench and mobbing the goalie. Interesting for the first game but you know what? Good for them as a young D1 program grinding out a win over Minnesota.
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 09-29-2017 at 11:47 PM.
    Light the Darkness "17"

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,299

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Peters had a bad game, but saying that there were ". . . some issues with turnovers that were bad . . ." drastically undersells the breakdowns in defensive play.
    True, but there were other breakdowns after the goalie change - yet no more goals allowed. I feel bad for Peters, a senior goaltender who happened to be highlighted on the game program cover. Just not her night...but she proved last year that she can play very well - most of the time. But I'm sure she would be the first to agree that she needs to be more consistent and come up big when the team needs her to. If that's not meant to be, it would appear that the team has a very capable alternative in Alex Gulstene, who looked very poised and confident in shutting out Merrimack in the second half of the game that she played. Based on her shut-out performance, expect her to get the start of the rematch on Sunday.

    At the other end, for the most part the Gophers did a good job of controlling the puck and putting (57) shots on net. But there were too few from prime scoring areas where the goalie was out of position. There were maybe a half dozen prime rebounds that Demers surrendered, but unfortunately no Gopher was in position in front to bang in the rebound. In those situations they need to do a better job of converging on the net to take advantage of those rebound opportunities, to cash in from one of several angles...something that recent Gopher teams excelled at. Tonight we saw glimpses, but when we were in position out front, we got a bad bounce - or somehow misfired.

    Based on what I saw tonight I'm optimistic that the Gophers will rebound and come away with a win in their rematch on Sunday.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  8. #108
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,460

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    And BTW, Merrimack was very excited and were quite exuberant coming off the bench and mobbing the goalie.
    They likely saw those Minnesota jerseys and assumed that this was a contending team or something. If so, the Gophers didn't get the memo.

    Peters' performance was reminiscent of the first game of Kim Hanlon's senior season. Hanlon was given the hook after she allowed a third goal, and I thought that should have been the point at which Peters' night ended as well. Defensive breakdowns -- definitely. But these weren't wide-open backdoor tap ins where she had no chance. One of Amanda Leveille's strengths was that she'd be at her best when the team was at it's worst. I had hoped that after a season to work off the rust, Peters would take her game to a new level this year. After this, I don't like her chances to remain the primary goalie.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  9. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Certainly some issues with turnovers that at times were bad but honestly, your goaltender has to pick you up on some of those and that just didn't happen.
    First game of the year, trying to develop the new players and new responsibilities for upperclassmen and give up 4 goals on 12 shots. Suddenly that's all out the window. Shell shocked and blink and your behind, scrambling just trying to win the frigging game. I thought our forwards made a good effort earlier in the game trying to develop a passing game in the offensive zone. In the third period I thought that was out the window and players with the puck just skating towards the net and shooting.

    Maybe we can reboot on Sunday and start trying to build this year's team in an environment where they don't fear everytime they make a mistake the puck ends up in the net.

  10. #110
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    10,151
    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    They likely saw those Minnesota jerseys and assumed that this was a contending team or something.
    They know that beating Maroon & Gold is akin to a national championship

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    275

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Using the Timothy A scoring method from the Korea-WCHA tourney, the Gophers outscored Merrimack 5.15-4. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Theicebox View Post
    This is accurate. 7-8 players have decided to leave the program as well as 2 coaches now. Tough start for a new program.
    MC count is up to 10 now with 2 so far this young season. Oh, and three coaches.
    Last edited by Theicebox; 09-30-2017 at 10:31 AM.

  13. #113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    12,396

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    This season will be a serious test for Frost as a coach. Coaching the Gophers' first line year in and out is a breeze. Lines two, three, four (which is lines one, two, three this year) is where the test is...and with our recruits it should be a doable test.
    Go Gophers!

  14. #114
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,460

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Leather helmet View Post
    Using the Timothy A scoring method from the Korea-WCHA tourney, the Gophers outscored Merrimack 5.15-4. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.
    I think I'd rather have total consciousness on my deathbed.

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    This season will be a serious test for Frost as a coach. Coaching the Gophers' first line year in and out is a breeze. Lines two, three, four (which is lines one, two, three this year) is where the test is...and with our recruits it should be a doable test.
    Yeah, it's a different game when you don't have a line that you can roll out there knowing it will score you two goals every game.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  15. #115
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,098

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    and I thought that should have been the point at which Peters' night ended as well. Defensive breakdowns -- definitely. But these weren't wide-open backdoor tap ins where she had no chance. One of Amanda Leveille's strengths was that she'd be at her best when the team was at it's worst. I had hoped that after a season to work off the rust, Peters would take her game to a new level this year. After this, I don't like her chances to remain the primary goalie.
    I was thinking the coaching staff had that in their minds but gave Peters a little more time. Heck, I think they could have even brought Gulstene out to take over for the start of the 2nd period for that matter This team does not have the luxury of abundant scoring to overcome less than stellar goaltending.

    She was mentioned earlier and I also am wondering what the issue is with Taylor Williamson? Injury? Coaches doghouse? A former Ms Hockey should be contributing more to the program but that is just not happening.
    Light the Darkness "17"

  16. #116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,299

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    She was mentioned earlier and I also am wondering what the issue is with Taylor Williamson? Injury? Coaches doghouse? A former Ms Hockey should be contributing more to the program but that is just not happening.
    In the limited playing time she had it was very noticeable that she was not giving nearly the same effort as she consistently gave last year. Something's amiss.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  17. #117
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Theicebox View Post
    MC count is up to 10 now with 2 so far this young season. Oh, and three coaches.
    What exactly are you talking about?! Sometimes players are told after the season that they won't have a spot on the team the next season especially on a young and quickly developing program like Merrimack. If you're one of those players you're probably going to tell everyone it was your decision to leave the team for whatever reason just to save face, instead of having to admit you were a post-season cut. As far as the coaching staff, who has left??

  18. #118
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,813

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Zumwinkle really ought to wear number 88, because that's some military grade ordnance.
    Great WWII reference there. Nicely done.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    What exactly are you talking about?! Sometimes players are told after the season that they won't have a spot on the team the next season especially on a young and quickly developing program like Merrimack. If you're one of those players you're probably going to tell everyone it was your decision to leave the team for whatever reason just to save face, instead of having to admit you were a post-season cut. As far as the coaching staff, who has left??
    I'm not "one of those players" - just offering some facts! Stay tuned!

  20. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Theicebox View Post
    I'm not "one of those players" - just offering some facts! Stay tuned!
    Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I meant it from the perspective of the "universal you" as opposed to a "specific you." My bad on that note. I will certainly stay tuned. Thanks!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •