Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
    I did mine a couple days ago
    Pannek/S Potomak/Heise
    Wente/A Potomak/ Zumwinkle
    Skarzynski/Woken/Schammel
    Skaja/Boreen/Oden

Although, after seeing yours, putting the Potomaks together makes a certain amount of sense.
    Any thoughts on D lines? Looking like 6 D total or 7 if you include Skarzynski return. A little simpler than forward situation for sure

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
      Any thoughts on D lines? Looking like 6 D total or 7 if you include Skarzynski return. A little simpler than forward situation for sure
      Knowles/Brown
      Marshall/Ostertag
      Robinson/Hengler

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
        As stated by Gopher/Badger has been told she is redshirting. Perhaps introduce yourself to her dad he is at all the home games;

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
          And Agnew leaving is new news to you? Perhaps you need to get informed somewhere besides the internet. And Gopher/Badger is correct.
          Agnew is continually invited to Team Canada (U18 captain, U22) and yet can't crack the Minny lineup? No wonder Canada has not beat the US in any tournament since the last Olympics.

Comment

• Originally posted by dd17 View Post
            Agnew is continually invited to Team Canada (U18 captain, U22) and yet can't crack the Minny lineup? No wonder Canada has not beat the US in any tournament since the last Olympics.
            Would not blame her for looking elsewhere. Very good player who has not had the breaks at Minny. Not the right fit. It happens. Good kid that deserves a second life.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
              I did mine a couple days ago
              Pannek/S Potomak/Heise
              Wente/A Potomak/ Zumwinkle
              Skarzynski/Woken/Schammel
              Skaja/Boreen/Oden

Although, after seeing yours, putting the Potomaks together makes a certain amount of sense.
              I'd be very surprised if the Potomaks are not paired at least at first. Especially if they exhibit that same sense of awareness of where each is on the ice that the "sisters who shall rename nameless" did in 2009 with the Gophers. Of course, they're not twins so maybe that will make a difference.
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                Would not blame her for looking elsewhere. Very good player who has not had the breaks at Minny. Not the right fit. It happens. Good kid that deserves a second life.
                My wife would be upset if Agnew (her favorite player) transferred somewhere else because as she says; "She has spunk, energy and good hockey sense." My favorite is Kippen Keller for many reasons but partly because I just like yelling "Go Kippen" when she skates down the rink with the puck.

Comment

Forwards and forward lines: From the current roster they lose Piazza and Reilly.

They get some players back from Olympic rosters.

First off, here is just a listing of returning players ranked 1 to 10 or so based on what they have actually accomplished in college hockey:

Pannek
                  Sarah Potomak

Wente
                  Skarzynski
                  Schammel

Zumwinkle

Woken
                  Agnew
                  Williamson
                  Keller

Likely to return but not likely to move up into the regular rotation:

Pieper
                  Gunderson
                  Smith

If there is sufficient quality among the incoming freshman forwards it is possible that Sophie could move back to D. It would take one of those incoming frosh (Amy?) to be good enough to supplant her because as it is right now Skarzynski is one of the team's very best forwards and as a center her defensive awareness raises her value. The team needs her playing where and how she now plays. And they already have at least nine forwards who have proven they can play at this level. If the frosh are going to play they are going to have to move a veteran off of the top three lines.

Amy? We all certainly think so.

Agnew? She will have two very solid seasons. Maybe her expectations were higher. Personally I myself still think we are a long ways from seeing what she can accomplish. She is established here, I don't know why anyone would think transferring would be an upgrade. She has proven she can play here, why wouldn't she want to continue? This is going to be a very good team and she has definitely proven that she belongs on the ice with this group of players.

The other incoming frosh? It appears from here that there is a lot of quality there but until they show up and play regular shifts in the WCHA we should perhaps reserve judgement.

I am pretty sure the Gophers are going to be pretty good next year.

Everyone should be reminded that what the final record ends up being is going to be very much influenced by who the goaler is and how well she plays and how well the incoming D blend with what is already obviously going to be another year when the overall D corps is going to be a bit green. These are questions that we do not currently have much information about.
                  Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

If A.Potomak can't crack the rotation, then some players will have to develop a ton in the next eight months.

As for this season, this weekend will go a long way to determining how they end up. Get swept, and they are in major difficulty. Sweep, and they likely make the NCAAs. Something in between, and that's just about what we've grown to expect. The team is good enough that you don't give up, but not good enough so that we have much in the way of delusions regarding them. The rankings claim they are the best 5th-best team. Never before have I felt we've been more overrated than this year's rankings. Well, maybe in 2006, but that team had the last laugh regarding my opinion of them.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post

As for this season, this weekend will go a long way to determining how they end up. Get swept, and they are in major difficulty. Sweep, and they likely make the NCAAs. Something in between, and that's just about what we've grown to expect. The team is good enough that you don't give up, but not good enough so that we have much in the way of delusions regarding them. The rankings claim they are the best 5th-best team. Never before have I felt we've been more overrated than this year's rankings. Well, maybe in 2006, but that team had the last laugh regarding my opinion of them.
                      This is a BIG SERIES! Really hoping to see them play well and sweep them darn Buckeyes.

Peters had earned the starting spot latter part of the first half. I wonder if she unearned it last weekend. I expect Gulstene will start one of the games. My guess is she'll start the first game with the opportunity to earn the second game. If Peters starts tonight, maybe Gulstene is not playing as good in practice as Frost wishes she was.

Comment

I find it interesting that not one Gopher prognosticators have Keller, Williamson or Agnew even in the lineup next year. Gophers should win another Naty if they don't even any of those three cracking the lineup or even dressing for games next year?

Comment

I find it interesting that not one Gopher prognosticators have Keller, Williamson or Agnew even in the lineup next year. Gophers should win another Naty if they don't even any of those three cracking the lineup or even dressing for games next year?
                          I wouldn't count any of the three out next year in logging significant playing time. All three have shown flashes of excellent play. I don't think anyone on the team plays harder than Kippen Keller. As for Williamson, she is an interesting case. No one scored a bigger goal in 2016 than she did as a sophomore in the NCAA semifinal against the Badgers, but her scoring went down and her penalties went up from her freshman year. I liked her feistiness, but she was way too undisciplined at times as a sophomore. I like Agnew's play too, and can easily see her getting 10 goals next year given the opportunity to play regularly.

But, there sure will be a lot more competition next year for ice time so who knows who will end up playing or sitting more. I guess the only thing I'm anyway sure of at this point is that Kelly Pannek should be the starting center next year. Can't wait to see her back at Ridder.
                          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-19-2018, 02:39 PM. Reason: Miss Langer, again

Comment

I find it interesting that not one Gopher prognosticators have Keller . . . even in the lineup next year. Gophers should win another Naty if they don't even any of those three cracking the lineup or even dressing for games next year?
                            Ahem.

Pannek/Potomak/Potomak
                            Wente/Zumwinkle/Schammel
                            Skarzynski/Woken/Heise
                            Oden/Skaja/Keller
                            As for Williamson, that's as much about continued health questions as it is anything else. Hopefully, she beats what she has, or it least wrestles it into remission, and then becomes a factor in this discussion.

Agnew just hasn't seemed like a great fit as a Gopher, and could be a casualty of a very crowded bench.
                            Last edited by Eeyore; 01-19-2018, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Buckeyes admin is putting some work into their pregame, it's nice to see. Twitter has interviews with Tatum Skaggs, Lauren Boyle, Milica, Muzz and Coach Frost.

https://***********/OhioState_WHKY

Comment

Unsurprisingly, Kippin Keller is a scratch.

Taylor is on the line sheet

Comment

Working...
                                X