Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Referenced in the article (thanks for sharing it, BTW) is another article which talks more in general about the start of the season for the top teams and players. Mentioned is a Jan 20 matchup between Blake and Edina and with Blake moving up to class 2A and being placed in section 6, it will likely be a preview of the section final. That is a game I'll definitely attempt to be at.
    As I recall between the two teams you'll be able to see a total of 15 D1 commits, including 5 future Gophers.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      For those who didn't catch it this morning's StarTribune had a nice interview with Syd.

Sydney Baldwin leading Gophers' young group of defensemen
      http://www.startribune.com/sydney-ba...men/459985093/
      I hadn't looked at the +/- stats yet this year, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see #9 leading the team with a +11.
      http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w.../teamcume.html

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I hadn't looked at the +/- stats yet this year, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see #9 leading the team with a +11.
        http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w.../teamcume.html
        I've noticed that, no surprise to me. And additionally.........

Sydney Baldwin still leads the COU*NTRY in blocked shots AND points for a defenseman This player certainly has skills as pokechecker mentioned (and I believe the coaching staff agrees).

Alas, to me sometimes the glass has seemed more than half empty rather than more than half full. But I raise that very glass in a toast that she have a fantastic closing half-season to her Golden Gopher career. And salute her skills and all she has given the program.

Go Sydney!
        Go Gophs!

Comment

Big two weeks coming up for the Gophers...............Bemidji and Duluth. Winning all 4 would be a nice step in the team's development and help build their confidence. Obvi they could easily lose to either team. Should be fun to watch.

Nicole Haase wrote this week on Alex Woken and the Gopher's! (Thank you)
          http://www.uscho.com/2017/11/30/heal...-to-minnesota/

Comment

BSU really took it to MN in the first period but could only go up by 1. The Gophers did much better in the second and would have ended 2-1 except for some sloppy ply with under a minute to go that allowed the Beavers to tie. MN looked very good all through the third and I expected them to put one in but it ended tied. The OT was all Beavers, they smothered everything and were putting very good pressure on getting some very good chances. Then zoom-boom found open space at 10 feet in from the blue line and fired a laser for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              BSU really took it to MN in the first period but could only go up by 1. The Gophers did much better in the second and would have ended 2-1 except for some sloppy ply with under a minute to go that allowed the Beavers to tie. MN looked very good all through the third and I expected them to put one in but it ended tied. The OT was all Beavers, they smothered everything and were putting very good pressure on getting some very good chances. Then zoom-boom found open space at 10 feet in from the blue line and fired a laser for the win.
              Zoom Boom had some other good chances that she just couldn't quite connect on during the game so that was good to see her put the overtime winner in. I was a little worried when Knowles left the ice in the third period but she was able to get back on the ice. Also good to see Reilly back in the lineup. And the other positive...#9 did not get an assist on either of the BSU goals.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                Zoom Boom had some other good chances that she just couldn't quite connect on during the game so that was good to see her put the overtime winner in. I was a little worried when Knowles left the ice in the third period but she was able to get back on the ice. Also good to see Reilly back in the lineup. And the other positive...#9 did not get an assist on either of the BSU goals.
                Many teams would like your #9. She does a lot of very good things on and off the ice for the Gophers and that's what you should focus on. Happy you are not my parent!

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                  I have see #12 play several games over the last 3 years & never seen her shoot as badly as she did last night. That is not a complaint or a knock, it blows me away how accurate her rockets were. She missed the net by a good 8 feet one time, like a 'normal' player would. But that OT winner was a frozen rope through a crowd & into the net. Give her the puck and space and she does that better than anyone I can remember.

We are thin on D so that thing with Knowles is troubling but having Reilly back was very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                    Many teams would like your #9.
                    Unfortunately, not the US national women's team.

She does a lot of very good things on and off the ice for the Gophers and that's what you should focus on.
                    Yes, for the Gophers and occasionally the opponents as well. How presumptuous of you to say what I should focus on when I would rather put my energy into Watts puns.

Happy you are not my parent!
                    Thankfully, my kids are so that is really what matters when the sarcasm is stripped away, eh puckdrop14?

Comment

Congrats to the seven Gopher recruits who've been selected to the USA U18 team:

Goalie
                      Makayla Pahl, Rochester, MN, Rochester Mayo HS

Defensemen
                      Maggie Nicholson, Minnetonka, MN, Minnetonka HS
                      Gracie Ostertag, Shakopee, MN, Shattuck-St. Mary's
                      Madeline Wethington, Edina, MN, Blake School

Forwards
                      Taylor Heise, Lake City, MN, Red Wing HS
                      Abbey Murphy, Evergreen Park, IL, Chicago Mission
                      Sydney Shearen, Hugo, MN, White Bear Lake HS

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...lds-u-s-roster

Comment

Today's loss goes down as some combination of bad luck and coaching decisions. The attempt to get by with just four defensemen, two of whom are freshmen, went on too long. Collectively, they were completely out of gas by the third period. If Katie Robinson isn't ready to go next week, they have to move Skarzynski back to defense. Even if she is back, they should probably do so, because Baldwin/Marshall/Knowles/Brown are exhausted, and it cost us badly today. It wasn't just the two odd man rushes on which Bemidji scored. They also had nothing to give in trying to push for the comeback.

I'm also pretty sure that the officials got the call wrong on enforcing the penalty against Kippin Keller that occurred between Bemidji scoring their fourth goal and the retroactive video review that awarded it. Oddly, the rulebook doesn't seem to directly address such retroactive reviews at all. The closest I can find is in rule 83.6 - Disallowed Goals, where it says:

When video review confirms the scoring of a goal at one end of the ice, any goal scored at the other end during intervening action must be disallowed.
                        That certainly implies the ability to review retroactively, but I can't find anywhere that actually says that they can. Under Rule 93.4 - Video Replay Criteria, it says that the following can be reviewed:

To determine if a goal was scored before a penalty infraction occurred.
                        This implies that a penalty that occurs after a goal is scored shouldn't be enforced. It's hard to figure out what else that could mean. Clearly, in what happened today, the goal was scored more than a minute before the penalty infraction occurred.

All in all, the refs had a miserable series. The penalty calls/non-calls made no sense at all. They also missed an instance where the puck hit the netting ten feet above the glass and let play continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                          Today's loss goes down as some combination of bad luck and coaching decisions. The attempt to get by with just four defensemen, two of whom are freshmen, went on too long. Collectively, they were completely out of gas by the third period. If Katie Robinson isn't ready to go next week, they have to move Skarzynski back to defense. Even if she is back, they should probably do so, because Baldwin/Marshall/Knowles/Brown are exhausted, and it cost us badly today. It wasn't just the two odd man rushes on which Bemidji scored. They also had nothing to give in trying to push for the comeback.
                          Even last night you could tell that Bemidji was really trying to put a lot extra forecheck pressure on Minnesota's D. Honestly, why wouldn't you with the opponent only having 4 D in their rotation?
                          Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 12-03-2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

There were at least two former Gopher D in the house either of whom would have probably made a difference in the game if they had been allowed to play.

Introduced to the crowd were current Olympic team players, from Canada Sarah Potomak, from USA Amanda Kessel and Megan Bozek.

The Gophers could definitely have used Bozek.

Also in the crowd two players who would have helped a lot, Baylee Gillanders and Brook Garzone.
                            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post

I'm also pretty sure that the officials got the call wrong on enforcing the penalty against Kippin Keller that occurred between Bemidji scoring their fourth goal and the retroactive video review that awarded it. Oddly, the rulebook doesn't seem to directly address such retroactive reviews at all. The closest I can find is in rule 83.6 - Disallowed Goals, where it says:
                              Yes, it seems they had to have gotten that wrong. They put the time the time back on the clock but still called the penalty that took place during the time that didn't exist. That means if we would have scored instead of committed a penalty our goal would have counted as well, right?

Comment

To me, the play of our forwards made it really difficult for the coaches to move Skarzynski back to defense.

Bemidji played a great game. I think we played the exact wrong game. People are hungry to beat the Gophers this year and this game should make it more difficult the rest of the way. Upcoming opponents will look at this and really want to feast on Gopher. Too many forwards looked like they didn't want to pay the price. We had two SOG 18 minutes into the game. 12 SOG after two periods. Something was wrong with Kippin Keller. Maybe she was sick but something was off.

The team's going to the game today at the X. I hope they have a great time, get inspired, and come back with a great response vs the Bulldogs next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X