Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
    I'm going to disagree; I know that shocks everyone. I didn't see much out of the Huskies until late in the second game. On Friday, Minnesota scored three times in the first six minutes, and then choked the life out of the game. They may not have scored again, but St. Cloud also didn't accomplish much of anything. Ms. ne7minder said during the third period that it was a boring game. I disagree, because I was really pleased watching Minnesota do something they haven't done much of the last couple of years, but I know what she was reacting to.

And while the Gophers didn't play as well on Saturday as they did on Friday, they also pushed the puck inches wide of an open net 3-4 times in the first period, and then again in the second. If a couple of those go in, it's a different game. When they came out for the third with just a one goal lead, it looked like they got frustrated and started to press. In a sense, it worked, since they did score, but they also returned to some bad habits while they were doing so and couldn't stop once they'd established a three goal lead. I won't go as far as ARM and say that they were in control over the last ten minutes, but a goal with 17 seconds left in the series made this game look closer than it really was.

Baldwin certainly looked better. Woken looked more the player we saw during the first four weeks of the season rather than the one from the last couple. The young defensemen look like they're picking things up. The Wente/Reilly/Schammel line has come to life, and the last of those is finally starting to look like the player I was hoping for when she transferred. Sophie Skarzynski continues to be a revelation as a forward, a real impact player.

On the whole, I rate the series a solid B.
    The Ms noted, correctly, that stifling defense is boring. I disagree they were in control the last 10 minutes. To me it looked like they were just holding on, The Husky D is not that good though it is good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      The Ms noted, correctly, that stifling defense is boring.
      I have become aware over the years that there are many people who hold this incorrect opinion.

Comment

• -The band had their indoor concert Saturday, so it turns out there was a good reason they missed both games
        -on Huskies first goal, Kippin Keller came back after we turned the puck over and tried to lift the stick of the player who scored. She wasn't puck watching, she was on it-just couldn't quite get it done
        -saw some great back checks from Woken- Reilly and Wente and Woken speed are getting more noticeable all the time
        -one time we were applying heavy pressure and St Cloud was vulnerable and the puck came back to Emily Brown at the point and she was aware what was happening and got her shot off immediately-usually we're slow getting rid of the puck
        -on the stream archive I tried to watch Brown's celly after she scored but she was out of camera range
        -the video archive of the game has a lot of freezes-the stream of the game must have been really bad

Comment

Gophers play Lindenwood this weekend:
          Saturday Nov 25 at 2pm Central
          Sunday Nov 26 at 2pm Central

Games are on StretchInternet @ $10.99 for a day pass
          https://portal.stretchinternet.com/cha/

Comment

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post
            Gophers play Lindenwood this weekend:
            Saturday Nov 25 at 2pm Central
            Sunday Nov 26 at 2pm Central

Games are on StretchInternet @ $10.99 for a day pass
            https://portal.stretchinternet.com/cha/
            How much does it cost to attend a game at Ridder?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              How much does it cost to attend a game at Ridder?
              $10 for a reserved seat
              $8 general admission
              $5 youth general admission

There is also all sorts of special deals, especially for junior players- players 8th grade and under can get in free in a special VIP program

Comment

I’m blaming Emily Brown for those 3 Husky goals. No, not because she played poorly, because she scored.
                I got the impression the Gophers thought the game was over after Brown scored. I can understand celebrating someone’s first goal, but then follow it up by putting the opponent away. There is not that much difference between the two teams, if you let up they are going to capitalize on it. Play 60 minutes, then celebrate.

Although at the end of the game I realized I hadn’t seen Robinson since she collided with another Gopher, anybody know about that? If that is correct, Maybe part of it too was that the four remaining blueliners were getting tired although I wouldn’t place the blame on them, it was more a let down by the team and the Huskies refusing to quit.

It did work out nice though that such a pretty goal by Schammel from Baldwin turned out to be the game winner. But Gulstene deserved more support after playing so well the first 50 minutes.

I missed the Woken bashing, since I’m late to that party the only thing I’ll say is that after a two goal game you don’t have to pass to your team mates so they can score too, shoot the &#@* puck and make it a four goal weekend! A speedy forward should skate in on the goalie and force them to make the save, your team mate’s job is to put any rebound in.
                I don't understand the Baldwin bashing at all. Apparently whoever gives out the WCHA POTM didn't get the memo either.
                Last edited by pokechecker; 11-20-2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                  $10 for a reserved seat
                  $8 general admission
                  $5 youth AND SENIORS general admission

There is also all sorts of special deals, especially for junior players- players 8th grade and under can get in free in a special VIP program
                  - fyp -
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    All Minnesota class, I hope they turn out great! I'm optimistic, but we could use a great recruiting class. Anybody seen them play? Who are you highest on?
                    Highest on Ostertag for her defensive abilities and Oden for her two way play. Heise, Boreen, and Skaja will add more speed and depth to the lineup. Hengler is a wildcard. Very talented offensively, but is on the ice way to much with Eden Prairie. My guess is that she will struggle defensively like a lot of freshmen D do. Also of note, is that technically, Amy Potomak will be part of this class as well.

You know, good for #9 to be playing better. I did not see her this past weekend but I will take it from those that did that she played better.
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Interesting that they are all right handed.
                      The experts likely consider Heise the Plum of the group, but Ostertag and Hengler are the players most needed. The nice thing about those two is that Hengler has played against top opponents in HS (and like the rest, national teams) and Ostertag with SSM also comes in with a lot of quality experience. That makes me optimistic they are the real deal and can quickly make the adjustment to the college game. It will be nice to have six quality blue liners again.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        I got the impression the Gophers thought the game was over after Brown scored.
                        It doesn't change your point, but Brown's goal made it 2-0, and the first Schammel goal was the third goal and led to SCSU's offense waking up.
                        Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        Although at the end of the game I realized I hadn’t seen Robinson since she collided with another Gopher, anybody know about that?
                        Robinson was out there after that play at least to kill the Knowles penalty. I couldn't say if she had any full-strength shifts after Woken flattened her.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Amy Potomak was cut. Will she join the Gophers this season or no?

EDIT: Source -- https://***********/HC_Women/status/932760563095969792
                          Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 11-20-2017, 06:39 PM.
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            Amy Potomak was cut. Will she join the Gophers this season or no?

EDIT: Source -- https://***********/HC_Women/status/932760563095969792
                            Hmmmm, does Frosty blow up a semester of future eligibility to try and save this season?
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Hmmmm, does Frosty blow up a semester of future eligibility to try and save this season?
                              I'd say you let her decide what she wants to do and you advise her about the eligibility part of the equation. If she wants to wait until next year then you support that 100% and you DON'T try to convince her to come back to the team this season. This is a situation where the player comes before the team and not the other way around.

Comment

• I can't see Frost trying to "talk her into" joining the team this season.

To me the biggest thing is does Amy guess that she'd want to play in college 6 years after high school. Because she probably thinks she'll make the national team in 4 years.

Personally, my gut isn't hoping it turns out one way or the other. (But we do only have 17 skaters to dress)
                                Last edited by KTDC; 11-20-2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X