Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
    I guess I don't understand all the angst with this. When I was her age, I had two jobs (paperboy and busboy), knew I wanted to go to college, and my father had already told me I could go to any college I could afford (parent speak for "don't expect me to pay for anything"). Heck, my sisters were baby sitting at this age. If she's done all the heavy lifting to get a scholarship, more power to her.
    Good for you OldDave, I'm in favor of a little angst reduction for all of us!

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
      I guess I don't understand all the angst with this. When I was her age, I had two jobs (paperboy and busboy), knew I wanted to go to college, and my father had already told me I could go to any college I could afford (parent speak for "don't expect me to pay for anything"). Heck, my sisters were baby sitting at this age. If she's done all the heavy lifting to get a scholarship, more power to her.
      agreed, if I have any angst about this, is that she shows up on campus a forward and not a blueliner

Comment

From a stats perspective, Mercyhurst's biggest issue is shot percentage. They are shooting at .068, and giving up at .113. Or, despite outshooting opponents 265 to 238, they are being outscored 27 to 18.

Vilma Tanskanen (from UND) is their leading goal scorer with 5.

I would like to see the Gophers play hard for 6 periods and continue to show improvement

Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          Minnesota gives up a late goal and it's 1-1 with very little time left in regulation. Number 9 continues to amaze me...
          I hate to say it, I completely agree with you. She seems to have no idea what to with the puck when she gets it in her own zone. With all that talent.

Mercyhurst killed us in the third period. Congrats to Knotts on a great play to tie the game, although you could see it coming as she got by every Gopher player on the ice before she took the shot. I thought Gulstene looked calm and good throughout the game. Emily Brown is better and better. Our freshman d are our most reliable in the defensive zone.

I'm really glad we stole a win the way we played that third period. But props to Mercyhurst, they deserve credit as they played hard and good in the third period.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
            I hate to say it, I completely agree with you. She seems to have no idea what to with the puck when she gets it in her own zone. With all that talent.
            Great skating stride...good on her edges...Really nice wrist shot when she uses it. Hockey IQ however...oy vey.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

-our 4th line's got a nice drive to get to the net!
              -that officiating crew seems to believe in the theory of alternating penalties
              -Mercyhurst seems to believe the other team shouldn't fight for rebounds until the whistle blows
              -I thought we were really dogging it early in the third period when Knott scored her goal-Knott made a couple of really nice plays in the series
              -attendance was 697 Friday and 612 today, that's actually very good for an away series other than UW, UMD (and UND)

Are you guys syncing up Dan's play by play audio with the video? This year it seems more of the videos can be paused and restarted so it's easier more often to sync no matter whether it's audio or video ahead of the other. Also, I think there has been two games this year where the audio and video are simultaneous.
              Last edited by KTDC; 11-11-2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

-our 4th line's got a nice drive to get to the net!
                -that officiating crew seems to believe in the theory of alternating penalties
                -Mercyhurst seems to believe the other team shouldn't fight for rebounds until the whistle blows
                -I thought we were really dogging it early in the third period when Knott scored her goal-Knott made a couple of really nice plays in the series
                -attendance was 697 Friday and 612 today, that's actually very good for an away series other than UW, UMD (and UND)

Are you guys syncing up Dan's play by play audio with the video? This year it seems more of the videos can be paused and restarted so it's easier more often to sync no matter whether it's audio or video ahead of the other. Also, I think there has been two games this year where the audio and video are simultaneous.
                I'll have to try syncing Dan's audio with the live game Friday. Never has worked in the past. It would be handy to hear what penalty has been called, explanations of other on-ice situations, as the speakers at Ridder are unintelligible. Sort of embarrassing to have such a great arena with a third world audio system!

Comment

Gopher promotions for today's game worked great. 2187 to see St Cloud and it was a fun crowd. And they saw a pretty good game. St Cloud played really well. Good for them, they fought hard to the end. They played really well 2nd and 3rd periods yesterday, also. Other than the 1st period yesterday, St Cloud made a very good showing.

I thought Gophers played great in the second period today. Congrats to Emily Brown scoring her first goal. She's one of my favorite players. I'm pretty irritated with how we played the last 10 minutes of the game

Comment

Gopher promotions for today's game worked great. 2187 to see St Cloud and it was a fun crowd. And they saw a pretty good game. St Cloud played really well. Good for them, they fought hard to the end. They played really well 2nd and 3rd periods yesterday, also. Other than the 1st period yesterday, St Cloud made a very good showing.

I thought Gophers played great in the second period today. Congrats to Emily Brown scoring her first goal. She's one of my favorite players. I'm pretty irritated with how we played the last 10 minutes of the game
                    FOr a few years now I have said the men should stop by & watch the women play to see if they could grasp the concept of 60 minutes of effort every game. It seems they got it backwards & the women copied the men, that last half of the 3rd was brutal to see.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                      FOr a few years now I have said the men should stop by & watch the women play to see if they could grasp the concept of 60 minutes of effort every game. It seems they got it backwards & the women copied the men, that last half of the 3rd was brutal to see.
                      I didn't think it was as bad as the rest of you. St. Cloud kept playing, made some plays, and got a couple of bounces, but it felt like the Gophers were in control, even over the last 10 minutes. When the Huskies got on the board, UM was able to answer, and at the end, the Huskies were in desperation mode. Good for them to finally score after going almost four games without scoring.

With the way that this season has gone, I'm happy for the six points, and the improvement that I'm seeing. Passing is getting better, as is coverage and D-zone as a whole. Most of all, everyone is trying. If they weren't, then I'd feel that criticism was more deserved. Speaking of which, both Baldwin and Woken have received more than their share from fans to this point. Both were very good this weekend, so I'm hoping that some praise is coming.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        I didn't think it was as bad as the rest of you. St. Cloud kept playing, made some plays, and got a couple of bounces, but it felt like the Gophers were in control, even over the last 10 minutes. When the Huskies got on the board, UM was able to answer, and at the end, the Huskies were in desperation mode. Good for them to finally score after going almost four games without scoring.

With the way that this season has gone, I'm happy for the six points, and the improvement that I'm seeing. Passing is getting better, as is coverage and D-zone as a whole. Most of all, everyone is trying. If they weren't, then I'd feel that criticism was more deserved. Speaking of which, both Baldwin and Woken have received more than their share from fans to this point. Both were very good this weekend, so I'm hoping that some praise is coming.
                        Thanks ARM, good post. I agree the team deserves some praise. I like the team, and I have enjoyed seeing them improve and I'm looking forward to following throughout the season and hopefully see it continue. I thought, as SCSU series go, it was a very good one. And as I said in my post, it was good to see the Huskies work so hard and play well.

I'll confess the main source of my angst over the last ten minutes. I wanted Alex Gulstene to gain confidence and I suppose some numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post

I am not unhappy overall and certainly very happy to see this team gel and improve. I just thought they should have put the Huskies away.

I am constantly amazed that teams like StC and Mankato never give up. I have played and watched teams that had "no chance" and seen some play that way. It has to be tough hitting the ice knowing it will take a miracle but never quiting. Hats off to them, that takes real strength

Comment

Looking ahead for just a minute, it looks like the Gophers have a great class of recruits coming in next year.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...111917aaa.html
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm going to disagree; I know that shocks everyone. I didn't see much out of the Huskies until late in the second game. On Friday, Minnesota scored three times in the first six minutes, and then choked the life out of the game. They may not have scored again, but St. Cloud also didn't accomplish much of anything. Ms. ne7minder said during the third period that it was a boring game. I disagree, because I was really pleased watching Minnesota do something they haven't done much of the last couple of years, but I know what she was reacting to.

And while the Gophers didn't play as well on Saturday as they did on Friday, they also pushed the puck inches wide of an open net 3-4 times in the first period, and then again in the second. If a couple of those go in, it's a different game. When they came out for the third with just a one goal lead, it looked like they got frustrated and started to press. In a sense, it worked, since they did score, but they also returned to some bad habits while they were doing so and couldn't stop once they'd established a three goal lead. I won't go as far as ARM and say that they were in control over the last ten minutes, but a goal with 17 seconds left in the series made this game look closer than it really was.

Baldwin certainly looked better. Woken looked more the player we saw during the first four weeks of the season rather than the one from the last couple. The young defensemen look like they're picking things up. The Wente/Reilly/Schammel line has come to life, and the last of those is finally starting to look like the player I was hoping for when she transferred. Sophie Skarzynski continues to be a revelation as a forward, a real impact player.

On the whole, I rate the series a solid B.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Looking ahead for just a minute, it looks like the Gophers have a great class of recruits coming in next year.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...111917aaa.html
                                All Minnesota class, I hope they turn out great! I'm optimistic, but we could use a great recruiting class. Anybody seen them play? Who are you highest on?

Comment

Working...
                                X