Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    It's tough being a freshman in the WCHA.
    problem is, the very best players have to learn to transition from having used their skill to overwhelm the opposition in HS to using/playing with their team mates, I saw this with Clair DeGeorge this weekend, it is easy to understand why Team USA brought her and Zumwickle to the O' tryouts, you don't need their name on their backs to pick them out on the ice, they both have the potential to be the best player on the ice

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      the Gopher back checking made OSU look pretty good a few weeks ago.

I saw the Badgers play this weekend, Bemidji outplayed them the first period Friday, then the Badgers came out and steamrolled them. If the Gophers have a freshman goalie with two freshmen defenders in front of her it ain't gonna be pretty.
      You didn't look me up and say hi? I always did behind the opposing team bench right on the glass. Look me up when the rodents come to town. It's fun meeting uscho posters.

If UW has 5 freshmen out on the ice at one time it won't look pretty for UW either. Overall I've been very happy with the D play of UW's freshmen D Bowlby and Buchbinder, who are a D pairing. Despite the rodent woes they will be a great measuring stick.

I would be shocked if UM swept based solely on goaltending and all the negative talk in this thread (sandbagging?), and I don't think UW is playing consistent enough to sweep (and they lack firepower but so does UM), so I see a split.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        all the negative talk in this thread (sandbagging?)
        Minnesota, without the lucky rabbit's foot, might give SCSU a good game but will be fortunate to hold Wisconsin under double-digit goals in each game this weekend.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          Minnesota, without the lucky rabbit's foot, might give SCSU a good game but will be fortunate to hold Wisconsin under double-digit goals in each game this weekend.
          If UW had Clark, Pankowski and Shirley, I'd agree with you. I say split.

Comment

I would be shocked if UM swept based solely on goaltending and all the negative talk in this thread (sandbagging?), and I don't think UW is playing consistent enough to sweep (and they lack firepower but so does UM), so I see a split.
            Well aware the schedule is different, UW has 38 goals through 10 games this year as opposed to 34 last year. By the way that "firepower" got UW one point in the Frozen Four last year!

Comment

If UW had Clark, Pankowski and Shirley, I'd agree with you. I say split.
              I would actually say that these games will also be a good measuring stick for next year, both teams will be returning two Olympians and getting in a couple really good young players. The difference in those games could be whats on the ice this year.

Comment

I would be shocked if UM swept ...
                Minnesota has swept better Wisconsin teams than that one that it will host this weekend. The Badgers have swept better Gopher teams than the one they'll see this weekend. Because UM looks ready to beat itself at any time, and Bucky hasn't learned how to lose yet this season, I'll say that the latter is more likely this time than the former, but the smart money is on some kind of split.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

As for Agnew, I don't know what to think. Is she another like Nina Rodgers who isn't a natural fit for UM's systems? I hope she finds a niche soon, or I don't seen how she winds up on the top three lines next year.

Agree with Eeyore on #12. Listening to Friday's audio, she was mostly absent, and yesterday, I could see why. It's tough being a freshman in the WCHA. When Keller or Schammel get the puck, it seems like they are always a zone ahead of their linemates, and the backcheck catches up before puck support does.
                  For whatever line combinations have been tried this year there has been very little that have had chemistry. I don't recall seeing it but maybe I have just missed it but has Wente been put on a line with Zoom Boom? Skarzinki on the other wing? Wente and Zoom Boom have played together on the U18 team.

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
                    Well aware the schedule is different, UW has 38 goals through 10 games this year as opposed to 34 last year. By the way that "firepower" got UW one point in the Frozen Four last year!
                    All I ever want is to get to the FF and the chips will fall where they will fall. All that firepower didn't struggle mightily to get flow going against Kato and BSU for 3 1/2 periods. That was some scary stuff to watch.

I do really like your measuring stick comment in regards to next year. Neat way to look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                      This weekend was the first time that Grace Zumwinkle looked like a freshman, which is a way of saying that she's been very good to date.
                      Agree with Eeyore on #12. Listening to Friday's audio, she was mostly absent, and yesterday, I could see why. It's tough being a freshman in the WCHA. When Keller or Schammel get the puck, it seems like they are always a zone ahead of their linemates, and the backcheck catches up before puck support does.
                      Double second to both of these.

She has very, very obviously apparent potential.

But she is currently a long way from being a good WCHA player.

I am in the camp of those that think that there is absolutely no way that she will not become that good WCHA player. She just is not there yet.
                      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        I don't recall seeing it but maybe I have just missed it but has Wente been put on a line with Zoom Boom?
                        Wasn’t Wente centering her last Friday, at least part of the game? Keller on the other wing?

You didn't look me up and say hi? I always did behind the opposing team bench right on the glass
                        For some reason I thought you sit behind the goalie, there were a few guys there yelling sieve once the Badgers scored, thought one might be you, but no

Comment

Wasn’t Wente centering her last Friday, at least part of the game? Keller on the other wing?
                          Didn't witness the games in Duluth if that's what you referring to so I'd have to rely on what others saw.

Comment

You are correct, one of the lines Friday was Wente centering Zumwinkle and Keller.

Comment

Not a whole lot to be encouraged about from today's game. Peters had one of her bad days; the third goal was really soft, and she had trouble controlling and freezing the puck all game. The defense continues to look lost in transition, in defensive zone coverage, and trying to breakout. Most of the forwards did little to stand out.

Kippen Keller was fabulous, creating the first goal with hustle to negate an icing and then finding Agnew with a pass from below the goal line (though the Badger defense probably won't want to watch the film either of Keller working free down there or of Agnew finding so much empty space). They kept trying to repeat the play of finding her behind the defense with a long breakout pass well past the point of overuse, generally resulting in handing the puck back to Wisconsin in the neutral zone. Keller remains one of the few diligent backcheckers.

Sophie Skarzynski had another good game, though her goal was really a gift from Campbell. I'm being won over to the idea of her being a forward, which probably means that she'll be back playing defense next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                                Not a whole lot to be encouraged about from today's game.
                                Although after a very nervous and sluggish start the Gophers did start to play much better and actually outwork and outplay Wisconsin for much of the second and third periods. So for me that was encouraging. Going in to the game my expectations were relatively low, as compared to years' past. Overall talent-wise I think you have to give the Badgers a slight edge, but with a great effort I give the Gophers a good chance of getting a split in the rematch tomorrow.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X