Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    The towards played better D and the D played better all around.
    And the G played better G too. Congrats to Sid on earning her shutout.

Stuff that didn't work for the forwards last night worked today.
    But unlike last night they generated any number of real nice scoring passes and finishes. They were moving without the puck, getting open and had some great snipes today. I hope it's a sign of more to come.

It was a great way to end 17.
    Amen.
    Last edited by D2D; 12-09-2017, 07:52 PM.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

That is the most positive thing that can be said.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Yes

As I mentioned in UMD thread, I thought we had puck luck in the Saturday game, but I also thought the forwards played a good offensive game with some nice plays and passing. I loved the Reilly to Skarzynski one timer play. Now lets see them do that in traffic!

Very interesting move by the coaches alternating Keller/Agnew and Pieper/Gunderson with Piazza right from the start and all the way through until the whole fourth line starting playing some shifts later on. I think that happened in the third period (?).

Woken and Zumwinkle looking better and better on offense. Stepping up the defensive work for those two would be huge. Wente is coming along nicely as well. I think Knowles and Brown are having great freshman seasons and our d corp could be pretty darn good by season's end

I had confidence the team was getting better after the Wisconsin/Mankato run, even with the losses to the Badgers. Some confidence is now renewed heading into the break.

I think the marketing department is doing a pretty good job as well getting the kids out and filling up the GA sections pretty good. The first St Cloud game was a bummer (1173) but since then it's been decent with 1708 to 2187 the last 5 games. Average attendance is up for the first half over last year. Although that's misleading and we'll end the regular season down from last year, I still think it's respectable and the marketing department is deserves some credit.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          That is the most positive thing that can be said.
          It was a good way to go end first half. Question, how did people (game announcers) know UMD coaches agreed to let goalie from PA school have all the starts? That nine month stint up on the shore is strange, particularly with games like Saturday. Can't say that giving up points to team under .400 in the conference is a great weekend, but Saturday was a good last game anyway heading into break.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldyDad2B View Post
            Can't say that giving up points to team under .400 in the conference is a great weekend
            Minnesota has a .500 record at home. Let that sink in...

It was surreal to watch that first game against Merrimack. There was a sequence of three goals by Merrimack where you could literally predict that if Merrimack brought the puck into Minnesota's zone and put the puck on net it was going in...The whole blame could not be put on the goaltender for that but most of it could. Lost a game where they out-shot the opponent 57-19.

The Ohio State series saw a tie game in the 3rd period of the first game end up a loss by having an Ohio State player take an extreme angle shot that deflected off the Gopher D into the net. The Gophers gave up 2 goal leads in the second game to wind up in a tie and to no one's surprise they lost the shootout. 5 conference points given up at home.

Wisconsin series is one that maybe the Gophers played their best in for the first half of the year but came away with nothing to show for it. 6 conference points lost at home.

The Bemidji series at home was probably best summed up by Scanlon when he said that sometimes it's not who you play but when you play them. As he stated they caught Minnesota a little banged up and short of players. 3 more conference points lost.

UMD series just concluded. Uncharacteristically gave up the lead in the third period in the first game as well as allowing 3 goals in the third and again, no surprise, they lost the shootout. 2 conference points lost.

And yet, in spite all of that negative stuff you can still see the potential. 10-0 on the road and a chance to rest up and make improvements after the break.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              Minnesota has a .500 record at home.
              10-0 on the road...
              Wow, how often do you see this? I'm thinking maybe the fans at Ridder should wear the opponents' colors and cheer for them, so that the players THINK they're on the road.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

And yet, in spite all of that negative stuff you can still see the potential. 10-0 on the road and a chance to rest up and make improvements after the break.
                Based on finishing 2017 going 2 and 2 against 2 teams with a combined 17-21-3 record? Your support should be applauded, your reasoning is suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
                  Based on finishing 2017 going 2 and 2 against 2 teams with a combined 17-21-3 record?
                  It's actually 2-1-1 but who needs facts when you can just claim someone's reasoning is suspect.

Comment

It's actually 2-1-1 but who needs facts when you can just claim someone's reasoning is suspect.
                    If the Gophers won the shootout they would have called it a win. I am little confused as to how UMD got an extra point for their tie than the Gophers did. And if you turn the binoculars around things get further away.
                    Last edited by upfromtheminors; 12-11-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

If the Gophers won the shootout they would have called it a win. And if you turn the binoculars around things get further away.
                      Gopher fans are pretty good about not calling shootout wins 'wins'.

(i know because we had one once)

And the Ohio State fans will tell you we are not going to call a shootout loss a 'loss'
                      Last edited by KTDC; 12-11-2017, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I am little confused
                        Is this a Freudian slip or just a grammar thing?

Comment

Is this a Freudian slip or just a grammar thing?
                          Belongsintheminors is simply a troll & should go on the ignore list, they have earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldyDad2B View Post
                            It was a good way to go end first half. Question, how did people (game announcers) know UMD coaches agreed to let goalie from PA school have all the starts? That nine month stint up on the shore is strange, particularly with games like Saturday. Can't say that giving up points to team under .400 in the conference is a great weekend, but Saturday was a good last game anyway heading into break.
                            Part of it is expectations. THose who were paying attention knew this was not going to be a championship season (short of a miracle) but were excited to see the kids grow and improve. Sure, there have been some rough spots and disappointing plays but we have seen the maturation and improvement and Saturday's game against a tough opponent (who is also having an uneven year what with 10 frosh on the bench). They showed a lot of heart and the sort of improvement we all hoped for.

Comment

Part of it is expectations. THose who were paying attention knew this was not going to be a championship season (short of a miracle) but were excited to see the kids grow and improve. Sure, there have been some rough spots and disappointing plays but we have seen the maturation and improvement and Saturday's game against a tough opponent (who is also having an uneven year what with 10 frosh on the bench). They showed a lot of heart and the sort of improvement we all hoped for.
                              Been hearing a lot about young players and growth of those young players, here is a quick list of young players dressing and top 4 in scoring for each team. Listed below are oldest to youngest.

Minnesota typically dresses 10 freshman and sophomores and their top 4 scorers are a freshman, junior, junior and a senior.
                              Ohio State typically dresses 11 freshman and sophomores and their top 4 scorers are a freshman, freshman, junior and a senior
                              UMD typically dresses 13 freshman and sophomores and their top 4 scorers are a freshman, freshman, sophomore and a senior
                              Wisconsin typically dresses 14 freshman and sophomores and the top 4 scorers are a sophomore, sophomore, junior and a sophomore

Scoring lost next year (as of today) Lowest to highest
                              Ohio State 11 goals 11 assists = 22 points
                              Wisconsin 17 goals 14 assists = 31 points
                              UMD 9 goals 29 assists = 38 points
                              Minnesota 18 goals 36 assists = 54 points

Minnesota returns 2 upperclassman along with Wisconsin. UMD 1 and Ohio State 0
                              Last edited by upfromtheminors; 12-11-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

The best part about this season is that the hypothetical award for most improved Gopher going into the break would have a lot of competition. With Emily Brown getting off to as rocky a start as she did, her growth was easy to see, but others like Skarzynski and Woken are impacting the game much more than we may have thought. I hope that the coaches don't just stick a P/P/P line out there and not try anything else, because I think that some other combinations could click very well and give the team better balance. As for the second half -- or final third, given we're 2/3 of the way through the regular season -- I hope that we don't see a lot of juggling, because it looks like Wente's line is finding something. Piazza could use more firepower with her, but she's never really centered a scoring line, so that might not be her role.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X