Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    I was thinking perhaps a cranial extraction.
    Even that wouldn't be enough to elevate you and FiveHoleFrenzy and Co. to being my intellectual equal. I suppose you could try though.....at least it'll keep you occupied for a little while, or as long as your waning attention span will allow.

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Even that wouldn't be enough to elevate you and FiveHoleFrenzy and Co. to being my intellectual equal.
    And I am perfectly ok with not being at your Level...

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    And I am perfectly ok with not being at your Level...
    Good plan. The lack of oxygen at some elevations can create noticeable reduction in brain function. Just sayin'
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-25-2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: It's going to be a long, hot summer in Frenchman's Bend and here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Good plan. The lack of oxygen at some elevations can create noticeable reduction in brain function. Just sayin'
    Lol, good one. And I live in Denver so I know exactly what you're talking about. Wait, wuh?!?!

Lol

Finishing 5th in the Big 10 doesn't look so bad right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Finishing 5th in the Big 10 doesn't look so bad right about now.
    Apparently the last year when three teams from the same conference made the Frozen Four was 2005.

Correction: 2005 was the only year when FOUR teams from the same conference made the Frozen Four. but was the last year when any conference had at least three. Per Sean Pickett in the Men's forum:

1981 - WCHA 3: Wisconsin (champion), Minnesota (runner-up), Michigan Tech (4th)
    1992 - CCHA 3: Lake Superior (champion), Michigan (semifinalist), Michigan State (semifinalist)
    1999 - HEA 3: Maine (champion), New Hamphire (runner-up), Boston College (semifinalist)
    2005 - WCHA 4: Denver (champion), North Dakota (runner-up), Colorado College (semifinalist), Minnesota (semifinalist)
    2018 - B1G 3: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan
    Last edited by D2D; 03-25-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Apparently the last year when three teams from the same conference made the Frozen Four was 2005.
    Question: Does everyone hate big ten hockey or just Minnesota? This seems pretty cool to me. And since there will be one, possibly two more head to head Big Ten games that will heat up some Big Ten rivalries, which I am told are lacking.

Pulling for Ohio State to win it all. As Minnesota fans, do you guys care who wins?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Question: Does everyone hate big ten hockey or just Minnesota? This seems pretty cool to me. And since there will be one, possibly two more head to head Big Ten games that will heat up some Big Ten rivalries, which I am told are lacking.

Pulling for Ohio State to win it all. As Minnesota fans, do you guys care who wins?
    I'm rooting for Michigan, but that's due to old associations and parents who are Michigan hockey season ticket holders.

And, yeah, the amount of whining by Minnesota fans about the creation of a Big 10 hockey conference has been ridiculous.

I'm rooting for Michigan, but that's due to old associations and parents who are Michigan hockey season ticket holders.
    That's cool. A Michigan Ohio State final would be amazing.

And, yeah, the amount of whining by Minnesota fans about the creation of a Big 10 hockey conference has been ridiculous.
    I followed a writer named Nate Wells on Twitter when I learned he writes about women's hockey in addition to men's hockey. As such, I've gotten some men's hockey exposure. It was interesting to see how article comment sections and twitter discussion of Lucia devolved into Big Ten discussions. I hadn't experienced that with any of the Ohio State coverage over the years. It was interesting.

I figure we will experience it on the women's side eventually, just a matter of when whether its five, ten or twenty years. I will be very sad to say goodbye to Penn State as a CHA fan when the day comes, but I'm sure the CHA would survive as would the remaining Minnesota programs in a Big Ten free league.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

... but I'm sure the CHA would survive as would the remaining Minnesota programs in a Big Ten free league.
    Selfishly, a Big Ten women's league would have a completely different feel than the current WCHA. Right now, I can easily drive to a game anywhere but Columbus, but in a Big Ten, Madison would be the only destination that would be a weekend drive, unless someone unexpected like Iowa joined. There has been all the investment in rivalries over the years, particularly with UMD. I'm sure that teams would still play, but it would never be the same. Also, I'm not sure if the budgets of some WCHA teams would be able to manage the additional travel that would be required.

I know we tend to be reluctant to change overall, but I don't see the WCHA splitting as being a good thing in the short term.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Selfishly, a Big Ten women's league would have a completely different feel than the current WCHA. Right now, I can easily drive to a game anywhere but Columbus, but in a Big Ten, Madison would be the only destination that would be a weekend drive, unless someone unexpected like Iowa joined. There has been all the investment in rivalries over the years, particularly with UMD. I'm sure that teams would still play, but it would never be the same. Also, I'm not sure if the budgets of some WCHA teams would be able to manage the additional travel that would be required.

I know we tend to be reluctant to change overall, but I don't see the WCHA splitting as being a good thing in the short term.
    Fair enough. All valid points. I donít know whether it would be good or not, but I see it as inevitable one day. For new generations growing up they would not know any different. I wonder if other smaller schools would move up to D1, bolstering whatever Minnesota league came on board. I wonder if (hope) the same would occur in the CHA region.

I thought that at the beginning myself but it really does seem as if the competition just is not as intense as it was. I remembered the old days when MI & MSU were rivals and the whining that accompanied their leaving the old league. Today I don't think the amount of whining is ridiculous.

The expense of a hockey program is enough that I would be surprised if any of the B16 add a womens team. Because of the travel (both for the team and the fans) it would be horrible.

Wrong forum, you want the mens side - you can find it on the banner at the top.

Wrong forum, you want the mens side - you can find it on the banner at the top.
    Respectfully, there were multiple menís hockey comments here before mine.

I thought that at the beginning myself but it really does seem as if the competition just is not as intense as it was. I remembered the old days when MI & MSU were rivals and the whining that accompanied their leaving the old league. Today I don't think the amount of whining is ridiculous.
    If they can't get up to play teams like Michigan and Ohio State, the problem isn't a Big 10 hockey league. I remember the era of the College Hockey Showcase, and those games were plenty intense.

I would be very surprised to see any athletic departments expand the number of sports of any expense level in the near future, and would consider any such expansion to be malpractice. The next round of rights fees is going to be a lot smaller than the last round, due to the collapse of the ESPN business model (charging a fee to all basic cable subscribers, which is as much as $5 a month for ESPN, and which cord cutting is eating away at), which many of the other cable sports systems have adopted. Until the ramifications of this change can be assessed, you might see major capital expenditures from athletic departments, but probably not large increases to permanent operating expenses, like adding new teams.

Bob Motzko ... looks like a shoe in given the results
    And so it is...

If they can't get up to play teams like Michigan and Ohio State, the problem isn't a Big 10 hockey league. I remember the era of the College Hockey Showcase, and those games were plenty intense.

I would be very surprised to see any athletic departments expand the number of sports of any expense level in the near future, and would consider any such expansion to be malpractice. The next round of rights fees is going to be a lot smaller than the last round, due to the collapse of the ESPN business model (charging a fee to all basic cable subscribers, which is as much as $5 a month for ESPN, and which cord cutting is eating away at), which many of the other cable sports systems have adopted. Until the ramifications of this change can be assessed, you might see major capital expenditures from athletic departments, but probably not large increases to permanent operating expenses, like adding new teams.
    I don't think the issue was the team getting up for those teams but the fans do not feel the animosity towards them that they did towards UND, MSU and UMD. I think a huge amount of the loss of enthusiasm has to do with the wealth requirements for season tickets reaching ridiculous levels. Fat old men sitting on their hands is not conducive to an electric atmosphere.

More than the loss of TV revenue I think universities have well over-extended themselves with athletic department bull**** so there just is no money for new sports, particularly one as expensive as ice hockey.

Respectfully, there were multiple menís hockey comments here before mine.
    Sorry, I didn't recognize your nym & the post sounded trollish. If it was not I am sorry

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Sorry, I didn't recognize your nym & the post sounded trollish. If it was not I am sorry
    Lindsay is not a troll -- far from it.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

I figure we will experience it on the women's side eventually, just a matter of when whether its five, ten or twenty years. I will be very sad to say goodbye to Penn State as a CHA fan when the day comes, but I'm sure the CHA would survive as would the remaining Minnesota programs in a Big Ten free league.
    ?? The WCHA is using crowdsourcing to cover costs. If Minnesota and Wisconsin left, the remaining programs are in trouble.

Thread Information