X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    There is a lot to look "forward" to.
    Hopefully, the pieces fall into place better than they did this year. I can remember seasons where the team seemed very deep (1998-99, 2000-01, 2008-09), but the overall product didn't gel as well as it might have.

It should be Gulstene's show at goaltender next year but I'm hoping for an overall better team approach to defense that brings down the number of goals against by quite a bit from this year.
    I thought that the backpressure, which was absent for much of the year, came around late. It couldn't do much on Saturday, as the turnovers happened too close to our own net.

Also, I know they can improve on the special teams numbers that they put up this year with the Power Play at 19.8% and the penalty kill at 85.4%.
    PP was good early, and then tailed off into a long drought. We didn't have the type of distributors we usually do. The PK was good in the middle of the season, but it seemed vulnerable any time the opponent was able to set up later in the year.

I know Wisconsin (Pankowski, Clark, Shirley), BC (Keller, Flanagan, Barnes), and UMD (Rooney, Rooney, and more Rooney) are anticipating what they get back next year. But I wouldn't trade (Pannek, Potomak, Potomak) for any of those other options, from either a competitive or an entertainment aspect.

Beyond the defensive breakdowns, of which there were simply too many, I thought that this team's biggest issue was the passing. That played a big role in the defensive shortcomings, both by the turnovers that resulted, and the amount of time that we had to play without the puck. Part of the passing issue is that not a lot of chemistry developed. Wente's line had it some days, but it disappeared at times. Skarzynski's line was likely the most consistent down the stretch in terms of everyone being on the same page. It just never happened for Piazza's unit. Someone like Woken could benefit from skating with someone whose game complements hers. Some people also need to improve their ability to catch a pass, as too many bounced off sticks or went by untouched.

While I'm sure a SP/KP/AP line would be dynamite, I don't know that we can afford it. Williamson being able to play definitely changes the options. She'll at least be another veteran presence. There were rumors of Agnew moving on, but I'm not sure that the poster really knew, because at that time of year, BC wouldn't have been able to talk to her at all. I could see it either way. New forwards are going to have to figure things out quickly next year, or they could wind up getting left out of the mix. It is hard to improve faster than those with whom you're competing for shifts if you don't even get to dress.

As far as another D candidate, between Skarzynski, and hopefully, a healthier Robinson, I think that they'll be okay on the blue line. With the experience gained by the three primary returning options, I expect that it will be better than this year.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

There is a lot to look "forward" to.
      That's for sure. Can't wait for the 3 super talented P's to be back in the pod at Ridder and our newest Ms. Hockey, too. The other issues you mentioned are all big question marks for me as well. But, I have no doubt next year's team is going to score a lot of goals. Question is, will it be enough?
      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-13-2018, 11:36 PM. Reason: I expect a big year from "Fluffy!"
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
        That's for sure. Can't wait for the 3 super talented P's to be on the ice at Ridder and our newest Ms. Hockey, too. The other issues you mentioned are all big question marks for me as well. But, I have no doubt next year's team is going to score a lot of goals. Question is, will it be enough?
        I'm really looking forward to next season as well. I agree both with your observation ("I have no doubt next year's team is going to score a lot of goals") and what ARM opines above ("I think that they'll be okay on the blue line. With the experience gained by the three primary returning options, I expect that it will be better than this year.").

That leaves the goalie position as the team's biggest question mark. You hate to put too much pressure on any one player, but as we all know, goaltending is huge, and pressure comes with the territory. Much will be riding on Alex Gulstene's shoulders. How well the team defends in front of her by cutting down on turnovers and limiting prime scoring chances will be critically important in determining how successful she can be.
        Last edited by D2D; 03-12-2018, 02:11 PM.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Hopefully, the pieces fall into place better than they did this year. I can remember seasons where the team seemed very deep (1998-99, 2000-01, 2008-09), but the overall product didn't gel as well as it might have.
          I appreciate your entire analysis but wanted to highlight that part right there. Hockey championships are not won by the best players, they are won by the best teams. If you are recruiting kids at 15-16 you really have no clue how they will fit in let alone develop.

We were talking with Badger fans in the parking lot before the game Saturday & I told them we can never be certain of the outcome because there were years I thought One team had more talent but lost to the other. That team thing is the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            I'm really looking forward to next season as well. I agree both with your observation ("I have no doubt next year's team is going to score a lot of goals") and what ARM opines above ("I think that they'll be okay on the blue line. With the experience gained by the three primary returning options, I expect that it will be better than this year.").

That leaves the goalie position as the team's biggest question mark. You hate to put too much pressure on any one player, but as we all know, goaltending is huge, and pressure comes with the territory. Much will be riding on Alex Gulstene's shoulders. How well the team defends in front of her by cutting down on turnovers and limiting prime scoring chances will be critically important in determining how successful she can be.
            I just hope we have someone to replace Baldwin's scoring on the blue line next year. Ostertag? I know nothing about her other than her name.
            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-13-2018, 08:56 AM. Reason: Tall, talented scoring defenseman wanted!

Comment

I just hope we have someone to replace Baldwin's scoring on the blue line next year. Ostertag? I know nothing about her other than her name.
              Olivia Knowles can step up into the scoring role vacated by #9...
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Olivia Knowles can step up into the scoring role vacated by #9...
                I agree. Marshall and Robinson are others who I think are more inclined to rush the puck than Ostertag. Hengler can pass and shoot, but we'll have to see how she adjusts to the speed of the game.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The past strength of Ostertag's game has been strong consistent defensive play at both ends and quick passing decision making. She is fast and instinctive enough for timely deep pinches on offensive end and covering for D partner in a rush. She knows her job and rarely makes mistakes as well as takes very few penalties. She does shoot the puck well from blue line and drops into open ice for scoring chances when puck in low but rarely rushes puck up ice. She has been a pass 1st player. It will be interesting to see if she can continue her past success at the D1 level.

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
                    quick passing decision making.
                    Hallelulah

The past strength of Ostertag's game has been strong consistent defensive play at both ends and quick passing decision making. She is fast and instinctive enough for timely deep pinches on offensive end and covering for D partner in a rush. She knows her job and rarely makes mistakes as well as takes very few penalties. She does shoot the puck well from blue line and drops into open ice for scoring chances when puck in low but rarely rushes puck up ice. She has been a pass 1st player. It will be interesting to see if she can continue her past success at the D1 level.
                    Thanks a lot for the info! Hopefully she and her talents move nicely into D1!

Comment

Ostertag? I know nothing about her other than her name.
                      In addition to what AAA Dad said here is something from an article written by Maize Rage in regards to younger potential 2022 US women's Olympic team selections. Under "defensemen" you will see a paragraph on Ostertag.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/wom...-2022-olympics

Comment

Welcome to college hockey dad!

Comment

Actual household conversation a few minutes ago after my wife returned from shopping. Wife: Guess who turned 98 today? Me: Actor or comedian? Wife: Not intentionally. Me: (After remembering she listens to "Sports Talk" on the radio) Sports figure? Wife: Sort of, but not a player. Me: Oh, I know. Is he a close personal friend of Bobby Knight? Wife: He thinks so. Me: I wonder if he knows the University has a women's hockey team? Wife: No response. Me: So Jim Murray's 98 huh? Wife: I'll make dinner.
                          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-15-2018, 08:05 PM. Reason: Should have I said Sid Caesar?

Comment

Article on incoming recruit Emily Oden:

Edina girls hockey captain specializes in repeats
                            https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_c...26465e8b3.html
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Actual household conversation a few minutes ago after my wife returned from shopping. Wife: Guess who turned 98 today? Me: Actor or comedian? Wife: Not intentionally. Me: (After remembering she listens to "Sports Talk" on the radio) Sports figure? Wife: Sort of, but not a player. Me: Oh, I know. Is he a close personal friend of Bobby Knight? Wife: He thinks so. Me: I wonder if he knows the University has a women's hockey team? Wife: No response. Me: So Jim Murray's 98 huh? Wife: I'll make dinner.
                              Did you know he started his career as a numbers runned for Kid Cohen? Then they needed a front when they bought a basketball team and he didn't have a record. That and a LOT of knob polishing became a very lucrative career.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Article on incoming recruit Emily Oden:

Edina girls hockey captain specializes in repeats
                                https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_c...26465e8b3.html
                                Said it before and I'll repeat it again. Very much looking forward to the 2-way game that Oden will bring to the Gophers lineup.

Comment

Working...
                                X