Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
    As for Bucky hosting the WCHA FFO, I think many in the league would love that, but as UW people have told me is that it boils down to lack of locker room facilities and to some degree lack of press area.
    Been to Labahn a few times now & while it is too small the atmosphere is second to none. It would be a rocking place for the FF. I am much less impressed with Kohl. But I assume nobody is preventing UW from making the bid so it is hasn't been there I assume they have never asked for it. Had not heard the one about press area but have heard about locker rooms and also that there are conflicts for space that week.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      Been to Labahn a few times now & while it is too small the atmosphere is second to none. It would be a rocking place for the FF. I am much less impressed with Kohl. But I assume nobody is preventing UW from making the bid so it is hasn't been there I assume they have never asked for it. Had not heard the one about press area but have heard about locker rooms and also that there are conflicts for space that week.
      I think LaBahn would be an awesome FF atmosphere too aside from those two deficiencies.

Comment

I was privy to the chat between members of the promotions department and the "scanned tix" match the attendance figures.

That leaves one of two possibilities: either they didn't report the 'tickets sold' number anywhere, or there were literally zero no-shows.

Comment

As for Bucky hosting the WCHA FFO, I think many in the league would love that, but as UW people have told me is that it boils down to lack of locker room facilities and to some degree lack of press area.
          Those seem like such strange reasons.

At the very least there are extra locker rooms in the Kohl Center, and while it might not be ideal, it hardly seems like a dealbreaker for 2 games. Presumably the mens team has one locker room they use for both facilities, since they play in one and practice in the other. I'd also guess that the women use their normal locker room for Fill the Bowl - although I could be wrong. I also thought there were a couple of locker rooms in LaBahn for other sports - like swimming and/or tennis - that could potentially be used.

Actually, I think the Capitols USHL team has played a few games in LaBahn - so they must have had extra locker rooms available for those games?

I haven't been up to the press area, but noting the balcony extends along more than half the rink, you think you could find a way to make that work - but as with all of it, it would start by UW actually wanting to find a way to make it work. The lack of enthusiasm from UW still seems like it is the much bigger roadblock.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
            Actually, I think the Capitols USHL team has played a few games in LaBahn - so they must have had extra locker rooms available for those games?
            I don't know about the Capitols, but I know for certain that local high schools use LaBahn for games now and then. My niece's husband's nephew played a state tournament game there a couple weeks ago (that I was NOT able to attend, much as I wanted to). Both Madison Edgewood and Madison West use it as a quasi-home rink.
            Last edited by robertearle; 03-07-2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              That leaves one of two possibilities: either they didn't report the 'tickets sold' number anywhere, or there were literally zero no-shows.
              Or possibility 3: There were a very small number of no-shows, but the number isn't significant enough to change the overall picture that the two numbers "matched." If the tickets sold/announced number was 1855, but the actual tickets scanned was 1822, the promotions department would likely consider that to be a match - even if the two numbers aren't exactly equal.

Comment

As per the front page of the St Paul Pioneer Press the other day, "Vadnais Heights will celebrate on Thursday the return of Olympic sisters Hannah and Marissa Brandt... The event will be held at the Vadnais Heights Commons from 5 to 7:30 p.m. The gathering will be free and is open to the public."
                https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/0...mpic-athletes/

Hannah made the paper again today in a front page photo showing her in goal as Olympic teammate Hillary Knight attempts a shot during a visit to the New York Stock Exchange trading floor Tuesday. They don't mention if she made the save or not.

"The team also rang the opening bell," as per the photo caption.
                http://saintpaulpioneerpress.mn.news...t=eEditionPPST
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-07-2018, 12:38 PM. Reason: Put in inks with help, of course.
                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Great story here:

Gophers women's hockey forward Taylor Williamson battled health issues to play again
                  http://www.startribune.com/gophers-w...ain/476437823/
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Great story here:

Gophers women's hockey forward Taylor Williamson battled health issues to play again
                    She is a difference maker on and off the ice. Amazing story.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                      She is a difference maker on and off the ice. Amazing story.
                      There's no one on the team that plays harder than her.

Comment

Congratulation Gophers on a fine season! I already can't wait for next year.
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-10-2018, 06:10 PM. Reason: With Pannek and Potomaks and more.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Great story here:

Thanks for posting this.

We always need to be reminded how fragile life is and how courageous some of these young women are and that there is way more to all of this than just hockey.

Leading by example, whether or not they are aware of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                            Congratulation Gophers on a fine season! I already can't wait for next year.
                            Have the Gophers ever in their history had a period of hockey where they only got one shot on goal?! Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              Have the Gophers ever in their history had a period of hockey where they only got one shot on goal?! Wow!
                              12 SOG for a whole game must also be a record as well, eh?
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The Williamson/Skarzynski/Agnew line was decent today. Emily Brown had a pretty good game; I'm not sure who should have been covering Roque on Wisconsin's second goal, but the whole team has been leaving opponents uncovered on the off wing for two months. And, despite giving up four goals, Sydney Peters played pretty well.

Beyond that, bleh. Reilly's penalty at the end was totally inappropriate, from a player that has often left me with the impression of having an attitude problem. Today was a sour end to a season that was a mild disappointment.

I feel pretty confident about next year, but they really need to work on their passing, both the decision making and the execution.

Comment

Working...
                                X