Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

It edges into the absurd to be ridiculed for teams falling short of the championship by someone who board name picks him out as a fan of a conference that went 0-2 in the quarterfinals.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
      It edges into the absurd to be ridiculed for teams falling short of the championship by someone who board name picks him out as a fan of a conference that went 0-2 in the quarterfinals.
      Not to mention no team from said conference has ever won a NCAA Championship. And a Hockey East team has only finished runner-up 3 times in the tournament's 18 year history. Obviously, it's not a record the league's supporters can brag about with a straight face. However I do think it's just a matter of time before the league's teams start making a better showing in the tournament, and in fact it could very well happen next season. While I don't want to see this happen at the Gophers' expense, more parity across all leagues and their teams can only help grow the game. It should eventually follow the men's, where a different program has won the championship in each of the past seven years.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Not to mention no team from said conference has ever won a NCAA Championship. And a Hockey East team has only finished runner-up 3 times in the tournament's 18 year history. Obviously, it's not a record the league's supporters can brag about with a straight face. However I do think it's just a matter of time before the league's teams start making a better showing in the tournament, and in fact it could very well happen next season. While I don't want to see this happen at the Gophers' expense, more parity across all leagues and their teams can only help grow the game. It should eventually follow the men's, where a different program has won the championship in each of the past seven years.
        I'd rather see the men's imitate the women's where another team in Green and Gold from Potsdam, NY (the men) win the NC$$ Championship for the first time and win it 3 times in a 5 year span.
        And Minnesota can win it the other 2 years.
        Last edited by vicb; 03-20-2018, 06:23 AM.
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
          I'd rather see the men's imitate the women's where another team in Green and Gold from Potsdam, NY wins the NC$$ Championship 3 times in a 5 year span.
          And Minnesota can win it the other 2 years.
          No way, Clarkson has now had its run - and very deservedly so. But for the sake of parity, it's now someone else's turn.

Maybe your Golden Knights can win its first ever on the men's side?

Comment

That is what my previous post was referring to. Read it again.
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

No way, Clarkson has now had its run - and very deservedly so. But for the sake of parity, it's now someone else's turn.

Women's hockey I think does need more 1st time national championship winners to grow the sport, similar to what happened on the men's side with RPI, Boston U, Harvard and Union when they won for the first... Oh, wait a minute, those teams are probably not good examples to mention on a Gopher hockey fan forum thread. Providence and Cornell are much better examples or maybe BC when they won for the 1st time in 1949.

Not next year though. I'm hoping for a return to normal next year and I don't mean the town in Illinois.
              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-19-2018, 11:16 PM. Reason: We once stayed overnight just south of Normal.
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                That is what my previous post was referring to. Read it again.
                For the men to win it "3 times in a 5 year span" is a lot different than winning it for the first time ever! Read it again.

Comment

For the men to win it "3 times in a 5 year span" is a lot different than winning it for the first time ever! Read it again.
                  I have clarified my original post #825. Read the edited version.
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

While the increase in parity is definitely a trend throughout all teams, that parity hasn't yet manifested at the very top. Clarkson had to go to OT three times, so that looks like parity.

From 2000-2005, UMD and UM split all six national championships in that six year period. Similarly, UW and UMD combined to win the six NCAA titles from 2006-2011. Now from 2012-2018, Clarkson and UM have combined to win all seven NCAA titles. I'm sure we'll get a different champ soon, but this is the longest it has taken for a third team to be represented in the list.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Just received an e-mail from Gopher fan relations that Don Lucia has stepped down as head coach. Since I've never posted or read anything on the men's fan forum despite along with my late brother and now my wife having been season ticket holders for over 25 years thought I'd post the news here. Kind of ironic because we had just decided 2 days ago to not renew the men's tickets for next year. Getting too old to go to both and we enjoy the women's games more.
                      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-20-2018, 02:35 PM. Reason: At least he won two before he was...

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                        Just received an e-mail from Gopher fan relations that Don Lucia has stepped down as head coach. Since I've never posted or read anything on the men's fan forum despite along with my late brother and now my wife having been season ticket holders for over 25 years thought I'd post the news here. Kind of ironic because we had just decided 2 days ago to not renew the men's tickets for next year. Getting too old to go to both and we enjoy the women's games more.
                        Lucia is the reason I switched over to following the women's game around the time of the Holy Cross debacle. To me, he should have been let go a long time ago and yes, I get that he had teams that won the title in 2002 and 2003, but the program has not even made the NCAA tournament 5 times in the last 10 years.

Once I witnessed a women's game at Ridder I was hooked and have only been to a couple of men's games in the last 12 years (free tickets).

It will be interesting to see the direction they go with a new coach and if any of the assistants will be kept.
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                          Lucia is the reason I switched over to following the women's game around the time of the Holy Cross debacle. To me, he should have been let go a long time ago and yes, I get that he had teams that won the title in 2002 and 2003, but the program has not even made the NCAA tournament 5 times in the last 10 years.

Once I witnessed a women's game at Ridder I was hooked and have only been to a couple of men's games in the last 12 years (free tickets).

It will be interesting to see the direction they go with a new coach and if any of the assistants will be kept.
                          My wife has been saying it's time for Lucia to go for the past couple of years or so. I tell her that well at least he wins the conference championships, but even that has sounded a little bit stale the past year or so. Then of course there were the 4 losses at Penn State, after which even I was off the Lucia bandwagon for good. Thanks Don for your service! You were a good coach and a great guy but it was time to go.

I can't imagine any of the assistant coaches being kept on when the new guy is hired.
                          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-20-2018, 03:41 PM. Reason: Bring Back Brad Buetow?

Comment

Brad Buetow, lol
                            the perfect coach for UND's #4 and a certain OSU player from BC (not the college, the province) who I think may have also been #4, or maybe it was 4 minutes in the sin bin

I see Tim A must be snorting mineral spirits again, judging from his post on the men's thread.

so did his daughter get to announce it on 'CCO TV this morning?
                            Last edited by pokechecker; 03-21-2018, 07:22 AM. Reason: so did his daughter get to announce it on 'CCO TV this morning?

Comment

I suspect that Gopher men's hockey fans are going to be disappointed if they think that a new coach will mean being in the NCAA tournament every year and a championship more than once a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                                My wife has been saying it's time for Lucia to go for the past couple of years or so. I tell her that well at least he wins the conference championships, but even that has sounded a little bit stale the past year or so. Then of course there were the 4 losses at Penn State, after which even I was off the Lucia bandwagon for good. Thanks Don for your service! You were a good coach and a great guy but it was time to go.

I can't imagine any of the assistant coaches being kept on when the new guy is hired.
                                It is not coincidence that his team stopped listening to him after 19 years. That is when it was time for each of my children to leave home, as I had (in their opinion) gotten progressively stupider over the years. Don will stay involved from a distance, as I did with my children, and like me he will become smarter over the years, until one day he will be hired to take over a program where the players have stopped listening to the coach.

That is where the personal parallel ends, as I have not been hired by someone else's adult children.

Comment

Working...
                                X