Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

With the WCHA having released a preliminary schedule [ http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1617/2...un8wcw_min.pdf ] I thought it would be appropriate to start a new discussion of the Gopher's upcoming season.

My first thought is that the coaches will have a huge challenge on their hands as they attempt to fill holes created by the graduation of last year's very talented senior class. And with first line center Kelly Pannek taking a one year hiatus to skate with the USA Olympic Team - and with one or both Potomak's possibly representing Canada - the coaches' task will be made even more difficult. Fortunately, this year's highly touted freshmen class appears to be capable of plugging some of these holes, but that will take time as they adjust to the D1 level. Just as importantly, for the team to enjoy the kind of success that Gopher fans have become accustomed to, they will need as many as possible returning players to take that next step, both on and off the ice.

And speaking of leadership, congratulations to Sydney Baldwin and Cara Piazza on being selected by their teammates to serve as co-captains for the upcoming season.
    http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...061217aaa.html

Hard to believe we're now only about three months for the season to get underway. There is probably more uncertainly than Gopher fans are used to, but that should make it that much more interesting.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

When you lose potentially 5 elite players, 2 to graduation and possibly 3 to the Olympics, that has to lower the expectations. It is a big question mark as to who will step up to the first line. I have to say that I am looking forward to seeing what this team can accomplish with a little less talent on paper than in previous years.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      When you lose potentially 5 elite players, 2 to graduation and possibly 3 to the Olympics, that has to lower the expectations. It is a big question mark as to who will step up to the first line.
      No doubt. So much depends on what happens with the final Canadian Olympic team selection.

Question: Exactly when will the final Canadian team roster be determined? We all wish Sarah and Amy the best of luck in making the final Canadian Olympic roster, but if one (or both) don't make it, would they have time to join the Gophers in November, or at least before the mid-season break? And how would the timing of whether they play (or don't play) affect their four year eligibility status?

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      I have to say that I am looking forward to seeing what this team can accomplish with a little less talent on paper than in previous years.
      A real challenge - and test for the coaching staff - to be sure.

Another question: who do you think will emerge as the Gopher's No. 1 starting goalie during the second half and through the playoffs? Will all four (Peters, D'Angelo, May and incoming freshman Gulstene) be given opportunities to emerge as No. 1?

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Gulstene takes a redshirt year.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

Another question: who do you think will emerge as the Gopher's No. 1 starting goalie during the second half and through the playoffs? Will all four (Peters, D'Angelo, May and incoming freshman Gulstene) be given opportunities to emerge as No. 1?
          Given May played well when given the chance, but was replaced with Peters, who played well at the end of the season, it wasn't goal tending that was the cause of the 1/4 final loss, I'd say it is Peters job to lose.

No doubt. So much depends on what happens with the final Canadian Olympic team selection.

Question: Exactly when will the final Canadian team roster be determined? We all wish Sarah and Amy the best of luck in making the final Canadian Olympic roster, but if one (or both) don't make it, would they have time to join the Gophers in November, or at least before the mid-season break? And how would the timing of whether they play (or don't play) affect their four year eligibility status?

This has been discussed, they said they were going to make the final cut in December.
          My assumption is that Team Canada isn't as stupid as Team USA, anybody with college eligibility left either has a spot on the team or is back in school in September.
          Can't believe they would do what Team USA did last time.

Comment

Originally posted by IDK View Post
            No mention of it in this article:

MEET THE NEWCOMERS: ALEX GULSTENE
            http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...061417aab.html

Also, the article contains this interesting tidbit:
            "Gulstene joins Emily Brown, Olivia Knowles, Taylor Wente, and Grace Zumwinkle to make up next season’s incoming class. The sixth member of the class, Amy Potomak, will delay her arrival to the University of Minnesota while training with Canada’s National Women’s Team in preparation for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games."

I was really looking forward to seeing her with the Gophers this season, but obviously the experience of skating and training with the Canadian Olympic team will make her a better player when she joins the team for the 2018-19 season (as it should for Kelly Pannek with the U.S. team as well).

Comment

Originally posted by IDK View Post
              I would be very surprised if Gulstene is not the starter or at least given an equal shot to be. She's a top prospect who may win the Gophers some tight games next season.

Comment

Thanks for restarting the Gophers thread, I thought it might take 'till the ponds froze over!
                I'd just like to resume the previous thoughts regarding Patrick Reusee that were posted. Yes, I also have concluded Reusee is ignorant about, and has something against the Gopher Women's hockey program. On KSTP AM, on Garage Logic and his own show after, he almost never mentions the hockey program. One time last year when he interviewed Hanna B after our win over BC in Durham, NEW HAMPSHIRE, he asked Hannah how things went in Durham, NORTH CAROLINA!! The man gets all quivery about the Volleyball and Softball successes this year, and ignores the gal's hockey totally! Saw him at the State Fair a few years ago, I was wearing a 2013 WCHA Champions shirt, because I liked it, and he says, as he walked by "That's the best you got??" Sheesh....
                If anyone knows what the Gophers ever did to Patrick to mess with his head re our gal's hockey program, please let me know!

Comment

GopherSports is doing 'Scouting Reports' of all the teams on their schedule, and the second in the series is Minnesota-Duluth.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...062117aaa.html

A couple of things jumped out at me:

1. The teams split their 2016-17 season series 3-3, and in those games the Gophers' scoring came almost entirely from players who will not be with the team this upcoming season (Pannek, S. Potomak, Schipper and Stecklein). Looking a little deeper, the TOP SIX Gopher's scorers (those four plus Cameranesi and Wolfe) for the entire season will not be available to face off against UMD. I hate to be pessimistic, but realistically it will, at a minimum, be improbable for the Gophers to replace the 80 goals and 224 points that these six produced last year. Against Duluth so early in the upcoming season they would be huge underdogs except for...

2. UMD's hit due to graduation was at least equal to that of Minnesota's, as they will also be minus their top six scorers (Stalder, Brykaliuk, McGovern, Morin, Mrazaova and Crossman - who together produced totals of 81 goals and 194 points). Beyond those top six, the Bulldogs' lineup was arguably not as deep as the Gophers', which could explain why they are bringing in NINE new prospects that will compete for playing time throughout the year (vs. the Gophers, who will be adding six).

Bottom line: With so much of each team's scoring talent gone, one would expect both of these early season games to be low scoring affairs. Goaltending and "bounces" will likely determine which team gets off to a good start in league play.
                  Last edited by D2D; 06-21-2017, 11:56 PM.

Comment

D2D- You are missing one more KEY player. It's not always the scorers game. Sometimes it's the stoppers game. UMD will sorely miss Maddie Rooney.

Comment

Originally posted by knight7 View Post
                      D2D- You are missing one more KEY player. It's not always the scorers game. Sometimes it's the stoppers game. UMD will sorely miss Maddie Rooney.
                      Thanks, totally forgot Rooney was selected. I see that she played 37 of UMD's 39 games last season, so you would think her absence from their lineup this season will give the Gophers the edge in goal.

Comment

UMD's hit due to graduation was at least equal to that of Minnesota's, as they will also be minus their top six scorers (Stalder, Brykaliuk, McGovern, Morin, Mrazaova and Crossman - who together produced totals of 81 goals and 194 points). Beyond those top six, the Bulldogs' lineup was arguably not as deep as the Gophers', which could explain why they are bringing in NINE new prospects that will compete for playing time throughout the year (vs. the Gophers, who will be adding six).

Bottom line: With so much of each team's scoring talent gone, one would expect both of these early season games to be low scoring affairs. Goaltending and "bounces" will likely determine which team gets off to a good start in league play.
                        Houston grabbed UMD's tossed life buoy so that should help the 'Dogs for the next 3 years as well.

Comment

Based on the limited times I've seen her play in the State Tournament and with the USA U18 National Team, I believe Miss Brown will have a great future with the Gophers, and quite possibly with the National Team as well.

MEET THE NEWCOMERS: EMILY BROWN
                          http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...062217aaa.html

Comment

Loved this answer to the question, "How did you start playing hockey?"

"I went to kindergarten one day and one of my good guy friends had a pamphlet saying he was going to join hockey. I immediately wanted to join, too. I made my parents go out and get the starter kit, and the night before I sat crying in my bed telling my parents that I didn’t want to go. My parents insisted that I go since I signed up and bought all the equipment. I went, and I was by far the worst one out there. Boys were just skating circles around me. I came off the ice, and despite my inability, I thought I was the best one out there. I have loved it ever since."

MEET THE NEWCOMERS: GRACE ZUMWINKLE
                            http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...062817aaa.html

Comment

MEET THE NEWCOMERS: TAYLOR WENTE
                              http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...070517aaa.html

Comment

Working...
                              X