Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 358

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

  1. #301
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
    No offense intended to Ms Jungels, I'm sure she is a wonderful player, but 2022? Really? The NCAA has to stop this, it's crazy. Time will tell how this works out for Minnesota but these kids are making a decision they shouldn't have to make. Is this the coaches fault? I'm going to say no. I almost want to say it's the parents fault. The NCAA has clear rules about contacting potential student athletes. Coaches cannot initiate communication until after July 1 of the students senior year, however the students can contact them. So, clearly all these offers and communication are circumventing the INTENTION of the NCAA rule, and the parents are complicit. So, how about changing the rule to no contact whatsoever, NONE, until January 1st of the students Junior year? This way the coach has a better idea of what they are getting and the student has matured and may actually be thinking about their career and what they may want to study in college thus identifying whether this school is a good fit for them. Slowing down the process would allow all involved a much healthier approach to a decision that shouldn't be made in the 8th grade.
    Two things:
    1-Here is info on LaCrosse ending early recruiting earlier this year. I've got to think people in other sports and the NCAA are watching to see how it works
    http://www.iwlca.org/news_article/sh...rer_id=2547057

    2-Illinois makes scholarship offer to 10-year-old California speedster (I keep waiting to see if this is a fake new story!)
    https://www.landof10.com/illinois/il...olarship-offer

  2. #302
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    Two things:
    1-Here is info on LaCrosse ending early recruiting earlier this year. I've got to think people in other sports and the NCAA are watching to see how it works
    http://www.iwlca.org/news_article/sh...rer_id=2547057

    2-Illinois makes scholarship offer to 10-year-old California speedster (I keep waiting to see if this is a fake new story!)
    https://www.landof10.com/illinois/il...olarship-offer
    Coach Frost has said many times he wants the NCAA to prohibit these early commitments & specifically mentioned the LaCrosse example as a model. One of the problems is the scarcity of talent, if you are a bottom dwelling team you are going to have to try to find gems before the more elite schools & that puts pressure on everyone (not that some elite schools don't also encourage it but they have less incentive)

  3. #303
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,704

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
    No offense intended to Ms Jungels, I'm sure she is a wonderful player, but 2022? Really? The NCAA has to stop this, it's crazy. Time will tell how this works out for Minnesota but these kids are making a decision they shouldn't have to make. Is this the coaches fault? I'm going to say no. I almost want to say it's the parents fault. The NCAA has clear rules about contacting potential student athletes. Coaches cannot initiate communication until after July 1 of the students senior year, however the students can contact them. So, clearly all these offers and communication are circumventing the INTENTION of the NCAA rule, and the parents are complicit. So, how about changing the rule to no contact whatsoever, NONE, until January 1st of the students Junior year? This way the coach has a better idea of what they are getting and the student has matured and may actually be thinking about their career and what they may want to study in college thus identifying whether this school is a good fit for them. Slowing down the process would allow all involved a much healthier approach to a decision that shouldn't be made in the 8th grade.
    Agreed that the situation is out of hand. I certainly would agree that a rule change to put a lot more clarity to the "when" in the recruiting process would be helpful. Getting the parties involved in the process to put that in place however is the difficult part.

  4. #304
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,383

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    I'm very interested to see how the lacrosse rules work out, and I hope they put a severe break on early recruiting. That said, I have yet to see any explanation for how this is enforceable on the athletes.

  5. #305
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,852

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    I'm very interested to see how the lacrosse rules work out, and I hope they put a severe break on early recruiting. That said, I have yet to see any explanation for how this is enforceable on the athletes.
    It's not, nor is it enforceable on the school. Either party can change their mind and walk away for any reason, although at least in women's hockey most of these early commitments seem to stick.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  6. #306
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,383

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    It's not, nor is it enforceable on the school. Either party can change their mind and walk away for any reason, although at least in women's hockey most of these early commitments seem to stick.
    I don't mean verbal commitments. I mean the restriction on any recruiting communication prior to Sept 1 of junior year.

  7. #307
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    199

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    I don't mean verbal commitments. I mean the restriction on any recruiting communication prior to Sept 1 of junior year.
    Friend of mine has a daughter who is a 2002. She's hoping to get recruited for lacrosse (top player for Team Ontario). Apparently the way to get around it "legally" is to fill in the recruit questionnaire as a sophomore and that way they know who you are and keep track of you. As soon as you hit your junior year they have all the info on you and reach out VERY quickly. I'm told that most 2001's have already committed by now despite the fact there's a pretty big tournament in Baltimore this weekend.

  8. #308
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    I don't mean verbal commitments. I mean the restriction on any recruiting communication prior to Sept 1 of junior year.
    My son made a verbal commitment in lacrosse just before the new rules took effect. From what Iíve heard and read in lacrosse the new rules are working well for everyone- scouts can spend more time scouting 16 year olds instead of 13 year olds and players donít feel as stressed out if they havenít committed by freshman year. As far as enforcement of the rules, itís just like any recruiting rule- some people will break them but at the end of the day, these commitments are all verbal & non binding until the NLI is signed. Over the summer there were (only half joking) comments in the lacrosse world that the top uncommitted juniors should check their phones at 12:01am on Sept 1- and sure enough there were reports that some calls were made then, or at least very early in the day. Like hockey, coaches know each other well, and word was that club/HS coaches knew which of their players should expect calls from which colleges on Sept 1. No big surprises. More significant were players who switched their commitments on or after Sept 1- usually ďtrading upĒ to a better academic school. Probably only a matter of time before hockey enforces similar rules.

  9. #309
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,189

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
    The NCAA has clear rules about contacting potential student athletes. Coaches cannot initiate communication until after July 1 of the students senior year, however the students can contact them. So, clearly all these offers and communication are circumventing the INTENTION of the NCAA rule, and the parents are complicit. So, how about changing the rule to no contact whatsoever, NONE, until January 1st of the students Junior year? This way the coach has a better idea of what they are getting and the student has matured and may actually be thinking about their career and what they may want to study in college thus identifying whether this school is a good fit for them.
    The NCAA rule is there to protect the student athletes, so that those who don't want to deal with the whole recruitment process early aren't getting a bunch of solicitations. However, we see it all the time where somebody verbals and says that it is just a relief to have the decision made. These kids are under a lot of pressure -- from peers, from parents, from themselves, likely. In some ways, having a date like January 1 (bad idea to time it for a holiday in any case) is going to create a situation where almost an entire class gets locked down in a few days, and that pressure is really going to mount. You get an offer from a school that isn't on your short list, but they give you two hours to decide, because the clock is ticking and the phone is lit up Jerry Maguire's. The girl doesn't know where she stands with anyone else, because she hasn't been able to talk to anyone, and she doesn't know which programs are a fit and which aren't. But hey, the bird in hand and all that.

    At the same time, I agree that it has to be reined in somewhat, but I think that January of junior year is too late, now that you're trying to put the genie back in the bottle. Think of a case like Katie Burt. How is she even going to have the option to accelerate her graduation if she has no idea where she might end up until her final prep semester? Plus, I think it would be better to move this activity to the summer. IMO, something like June before junior year would be a better fit.

    I realize that no rule is going to work for everyone, and in theory, your statement about a major makes perfect sense. The problem is that just about everyone changes major plans after HS graduation anyway. You are correct that she is better served knowing whether a liberal arts, an engineering school, etc. might be the best fit for her, or whether she is totally undecided and might need a school that will offer a wide variety. I hope that whatever rules get enacted, they are formed with the idea of what is best for the students, not the coaches, fans, or yes, parents.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  10. #310
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,704

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    2021
    F Peyton Hemp (Andover)
    I'm probably not the first to say it but I'm very high on (the potential of) this recruit...

    Although, in fairness, the high is tied to a whole lot of growth occuring over the next few years...
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 11-09-2017 at 04:15 PM.

  11. #311
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,189

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    I'm probably not the first to say it but I'm very high on (the potential of) this recruit...

    Although, in fairness, the high is tied to a whole lot of growth occuring over the next few years...
    I bet there will be an increase in concessions, particularly things like pretzels and nachos.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  12. #312
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,704

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    I think she has a sister named Josie...I wonder if she also has a sister named Mary Jane.

  13. #313
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    The NCAA rule is there to protect the student athletes, so that those who don't want to deal with the whole recruitment process early aren't getting a bunch of solicitations. However, we see it all the time where somebody verbals and says that it is just a relief to have the decision made. These kids are under a lot of pressure -- from peers, from parents, from themselves, likely. In some ways, having a date like January 1 (bad idea to time it for a holiday in any case) is going to create a situation where almost an entire class gets locked down in a few days, and that pressure is really going to mount. You get an offer from a school that isn't on your short list, but they give you two hours to decide, because the clock is ticking and the phone is lit up Jerry Maguire's. The girl doesn't know where she stands with anyone else, because she hasn't been able to talk to anyone, and she doesn't know which programs are a fit and which aren't. But hey, the bird in hand and all that.

    At the same time, I agree that it has to be reined in somewhat, but I think that January of junior year is too late, now that you're trying to put the genie back in the bottle. Think of a case like Katie Burt. How is she even going to have the option to accelerate her graduation if she has no idea where she might end up until her final prep semester? Plus, I think it would be better to move this activity to the summer. IMO, something like June before junior year would be a better fit.

    I realize that no rule is going to work for everyone, and in theory, your statement about a major makes perfect sense. The problem is that just about everyone changes major plans after HS graduation anyway. You are correct that she is better served knowing whether a liberal arts, an engineering school, etc. might be the best fit for her, or whether she is totally undecided and might need a school that will offer a wide variety. I hope that whatever rules get enacted, they are formed with the idea of what is best for the students, not the coaches, fans, or yes, parents.
    One thing I didnít mention about lacrosse is that most colleges host summer prospect camps on campus. (Noticing a lot more of those in hockey too) Anyone can sign up (some are encouraged to go by club coaches who may have heard from the college coach) and coaches can talk to players all they want during the camp. Theyíre not supposed to make verbal offers but Iím sure thereís a lot of nudge nudge wink wink that takes place, or will take place this summer. No one shouldíve woken up on Sept 1 wondering if his phone was going to ring. I think everyone had a pretty good idea what to expect. Not that there werenít some disappointments or surprises, but itís not as bad as the Jerry Maguire phone scene. 😉

  14. #314
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    254

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post

    2022
    D/F Vivian Jungels (Edina U15?)
    I guess I don't understand all the angst with this. When I was her age, I had two jobs (paperboy and busboy), knew I wanted to go to college, and my father had already told me I could go to any college I could afford (parent speak for "don't expect me to pay for anything"). Heck, my sisters were baby sitting at this age. If she's done all the heavy lifting to get a scholarship, more power to her.

  15. #315
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
    I guess I don't understand all the angst with this. When I was her age, I had two jobs (paperboy and busboy), knew I wanted to go to college, and my father had already told me I could go to any college I could afford (parent speak for "don't expect me to pay for anything"). Heck, my sisters were baby sitting at this age. If she's done all the heavy lifting to get a scholarship, more power to her.
    Good for you OldDave, I'm in favor of a little angst reduction for all of us!

  16. #316
    Making America Great Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
    I guess I don't understand all the angst with this. When I was her age, I had two jobs (paperboy and busboy), knew I wanted to go to college, and my father had already told me I could go to any college I could afford (parent speak for "don't expect me to pay for anything"). Heck, my sisters were baby sitting at this age. If she's done all the heavy lifting to get a scholarship, more power to her.
    agreed, if I have any angst about this, is that she shows up on campus a forward and not a blueliner
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

  17. #317
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    From a stats perspective, Mercyhurst's biggest issue is shot percentage. They are shooting at .068, and giving up at .113. Or, despite outshooting opponents 265 to 238, they are being outscored 27 to 18.

    Vilma Tanskanen (from UND) is their leading goal scorer with 5.

    I would like to see the Gophers play hard for 6 periods and continue to show improvement

    Go Gophers!

  18. #318
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Minnesota gives up a late goal and it's 1-1 with very little time left in regulation. Number 9 continues to amaze me...
    I hate to say it, I completely agree with you. She seems to have no idea what to with the puck when she gets it in her own zone. With all that talent.

    Mercyhurst killed us in the third period. Congrats to Knotts on a great play to tie the game, although you could see it coming as she got by every Gopher player on the ice before she took the shot. I thought Gulstene looked calm and good throughout the game. Emily Brown is better and better. Our freshman d are our most reliable in the defensive zone.

    I'm really glad we stole a win the way we played that third period. But props to Mercyhurst, they deserve credit as they played hard and good in the third period.

  19. #319
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,704

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    I hate to say it, I completely agree with you. She seems to have no idea what to with the puck when she gets it in her own zone. With all that talent.
    Great skating stride...good on her edges...Really nice wrist shot when she uses it. Hockey IQ however...oy vey.

  20. #320
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    -our 4th line's got a nice drive to get to the net!
    -that officiating crew seems to believe in the theory of alternating penalties
    -Mercyhurst seems to believe the other team shouldn't fight for rebounds until the whistle blows
    -I thought we were really dogging it early in the third period when Knott scored her goal-Knott made a couple of really nice plays in the series
    -attendance was 697 Friday and 612 today, that's actually very good for an away series other than UW, UMD (and UND)


    Are you guys syncing up Dan's play by play audio with the video? This year it seems more of the videos can be paused and restarted so it's easier more often to sync no matter whether it's audio or video ahead of the other. Also, I think there has been two games this year where the audio and video are simultaneous.
    Last edited by KTDC; 11-11-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •