Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

I thought Patti Marshall played really well yesterday. And fantastic play by Caitlyn Reilly to get position over the defender and convert the breakaway that really saved the day for the Gophers. Although some might say Peters saved the day, another good game by her. It sounds like UMD has been having trouble generally turing their shots and opportunities into goals. Hope they don't turn it around today.

Really hated to see the Gophers, after playing so poorly the second period, commit a major penalty just seconds into the third.

Both Gopher hockey teams seemed to play the same game yesterday, with both somehow stealing a win

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      Seconded. I enjoy reading pretty much any thread. The more the Merri(mack)ier.
      If you build it we may follow

Comment

• Originally posted by Theicebox View Post
        If you build it we may follow
        I would but I literally know 3 things about Merrimack:
        1- somewhere near Boston
        2- don't underestimate them
        3- they beat Minnesota!

That's the whole thread!

Comment

• I am sure the dogs hit the locker room wondering how they could have lost tonight. UMD dominated for most of the game. 3rd star of the game should go to the pipes as they stopped 4 great attemptets. To their credit MN never gave up and managed to pull one out

Comment

That may have been the worst game Minnesota has played all year. All of the usual problems were there, but there was also a distinct lack of effort. There were a lot of lazy passes to no one, and a lot of passes to places where a Gopher should have been but wasn't. When there was someone there, they seemed to have forgotten how to receive a pass. Even skating down the ice and keeping the puck on one's stick was often an insurmountable challenge. UMD should feel hard done by to have lost this game, though they did cause some of their own problems; the checking penalty with 2:20 to play was beyond stupid.

The list of Gophers that I can unreservedly say had a good game is Sophie Skarzynski. It's fitting that she scored the tying goal. There was one rush in the second period where she carried the puck into the offensive zone, ran into four Bulldogs, and no options because her linemates were still standing around in the neutral zone. She looks like a really good forward, though I'm still not convinced that we don't need her more on the blueline, even if she has some of the same flaws back there as the rest of them.

Jackie Pieper gets an honorable mention since she played two shifts and got an assist.

Kippen Keller displayed a lot of heart, but made some questionable decisions. She and Caitlyn Reilly played decently, and Reilly dug away to get the winning goal into the net. They were the two most notable backcheckers, an element of the Gophers' game that is on life support.

Emily Brown had an assist and didn't really stand out, which is not necessarily a negative for a defenseman. I like the way she is developing, and she could turn into the solid, reliable d-man this team needs.

The rest of the defense was more problematic. Patti Marshall picked up two assists, but she also repeatedly tried to make backhand passes that needed the zip you can only get on your forehand. For the first two periods, Sydney Baldwin was nothing short of a disaster. She continues to show no awareness of where the other team's forwards are and lets them get behind her. Her defensive zone play wasn't any better. On a team with a full roster, it'd be tough to keep giving her shifts, but that's not really an option at this point. Her third period was better, but still iffy.

Alex Gulstene was very good on first saves, though the pipe bailed her out of several mistakes. She had a hard time keeping the puck in her glove, and some of the rebounds were terrifying. Right now, she certainly isn't the problem, but she's not the solution to stealing games yet, either.

Comment

• UMD did a very nice job taking away time and space. As such, the D, who are out there every other shift, are forced to try to move the puck quickly to forwards who didn't always seem that interested in giving them a target. I imagine Marshall is all too aware of the difficulty in making that pass via a backhand, but well-coached teams are smart about taking the forehand away. She did take the penalty that led to the goal, but I thought she had a huge third period, including taking charge and getting clears.

As for Gulstene, there were a few chances were she had no other option other than to get across as quickly as possible, try to make herself big, and hope that the shooter missed. UMD did a good job of forcing her to move side to side. The kid in the other net didn't fare too well when she had to attempt it.

We better get a lot of complaining in this year. Who knows when we'll have this opportunity again.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                We better get a lot of complaining in this year. Who knows when we'll have this opportunity again.
                Agreed. Overall, I'm pleased with how the underclassmen are developing. Today just wasn't one of the good days.

This weekend was the first time that Grace Zumwinkle looked like a freshman, which is a way of saying that she's been very good to date.

I'll be happy with a split against Wisconsin next week.

Comment

UMD did a very nice job taking away time and space. As such, the D, who are out there every other shift, are forced to try to move the puck quickly to forwards who didn't always seem that interested in giving them a target.
                  Agree 100%. Another thing I noticed was the Gophers tried to make very long passes, even with Bulldogs between the passer and the intended receiver, that had little chance of completing or were easily intercepted. And all too often the puck carrier would skate herself into a position, leaving herself with only one option: a bounce pass off the boards, which had little or no chance of being cleanly received. WAY too few clean passes in succession skating and moving the puck up ice. Credit UMD for forcing Minnesota into these situations and taking away their options, leaving the Gophers with only one safe play: throwing the puck up the boards and hope for the best. Something to work on this week as they prepare for the Badgers.
                  Last edited by D2D; 10-21-2017, 11:34 PM.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

On a positive note-Sydney Baldwin leads the country in blocked shots and is 3rd in assists.

What a weird weekend; difficult to watch but still come away with two wins! Glad we won the games but feeling oddly bad for UMD. Watching the game yesterday I'm questioning our chances vs Wisconsin. I'd be happy with a split.

Been happy with Reilly. She was starting to bring it the latter part of last year and has carried it into this year. And I also think Sophie Skarzynski has been playing well. Patti Marshall is another one for me who has generally been looking pretty good. I see tons of errors from Emily Brown and Olivia Knowles but to me they look like freshman errors and maybe they're taking care of the learning curve early. So far, so good to me.

I really wish Alex Woken would turn some kind of a corner. I thought she was terrible early on yesterday, but mostly she looks like she could be very good. I wonder if she is pressing to score so much that she has trouble making good decisions when she is getting her opportunities. I didn't realize Jackie Pieper only played two shifts but when I saw she replaced Agnew I thought it was justified.

Peters obviously has been good the last few games. I'm really invested in Gulstene, but my rose-colored glasses don't think any of her goals have been that soft, and she's mostly had a decent start to her career. I have been debating whether she should get a start against Wisconsin. I guess I think Peters and Gulstene should each get a start next weekend.

I'd love to hear more about what people think about the Gopher's backchecking issues if anyone has anything to say about it!
                    Last edited by KTDC; 10-22-2017, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                      I'd love to hear more about what people think about the Gopher's backchecking issues if anyone has anything to say about it!
                      Not nearly as relentless as what we came to enjoy (and expect) in years past. Part of it I think is that we just don't have the overall team speed as some past teams, especially when going the other way. Not sure if conditioning is a factor or not, but I get the sense that some players would prefer to "save themselves" for making the most of their offensive opportunities.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Not nearly as relentless as what we came to enjoy (and expect) in years past. Part of it I think is that we just don't have the overall team speed as some past teams, especially when going the other way. Not sure if conditioning is a factor or not, but I get the sense that some players would prefer to "save themselves" for making the most of their offensive opportunities.
                        I started following the team during the days of Sarah Davis, Kelly Terry, and Hannah Brandt. Is that the greatest trio of backcheckers ever? It's the kind of thing that can make you proud of a team when you're a fan.

You'd think that a player like Cara Piazza would hang their hat on something like backchecking. And as a captain, demand her teammates and particularly the centers, would do the same.

Comment

UMD did a very nice job taking away time and space. As such, the D, who are out there every other shift, are forced to try to move the puck quickly to forwards who didn't always seem that interested in giving them a target. I imagine Marshall is all too aware of the difficulty in making that pass via a backhand, but well-coached teams are smart about taking the forehand away. She did take the penalty that led to the goal, but I thought she had a huge third period, including taking charge and getting clears.

As for Gulstene, there were a few chances were she had no other option other than to get across as quickly as possible, try to make herself big, and hope that the shooter missed. UMD did a good job of forcing her to move side to side. The kid in the other net didn't fare too well when she had to attempt it.

A very good point. I hear a lot of complaining about the Gophers & not nearly enough about what a great job the Bulldogs did in preventing MN from doing the things they like to do. It has been this way up in Bemidji the last few years. Maybe the Beavers are not as good as the Gophers but they played smart & determined hockey against the Gophers and made MN look average at best. We need to give more credit to the other teams on the ice.

Comment

I do not think they have the speed of the other teams you mentioned. That is a factor. I also think players like Terry understood they were not snipers and substituted raw determination to stop the other team from scoring. Is it possible we now have too many players who assume their primary role is to score? I would guess most of them led their previous team in points.

I have been watching MN since year 1 and the entire game has sped up, I think the difference between MN (and WI and UMD to be clear, the teams that have dominated the WCHA for 20 years) and everyone else has narrowed. That is a good thing but it means MN and WI cannot assume the get 3 points every time they hit the ice.

As to the goalie situation Peters really turned it around last weekend & looked unbeatable. Saturday I though Gulstene had some minor problems including a glove that had a lot of trouble holding onto pucks it had snagged. I think rotation is always a good thing at least until the playoffs.

Comment

Been happy with Reilly.
                              Agreed.

I really wish Alex Woken would turn some kind of a corner. I thought she was terrible early on yesterday, but mostly she looks like she could be very good.
                              I've been very happy with her as well. It's tough coming back from an injury that has kept you off the ice for so long, and I thought that she has done a lot of good things. AMSOIL is listed as 85 feet wide, but it has to be as narrow an 85' as you'll find anywhere. I don't think it is ideally suited to someone like Woken who has very good top-end speed and can get around the edges or find seams up the middle.

Kelly Terry was likely as fast as anyone we've ever had and she was relentless on the forecheck. Both Schipper and Cameranesi were very strong as well, and both Potomak and Pannek, had really developed the part of their games. So to lose all four of those kids from last year was going to take a toll.

I think Reilly is pretty strong, and Woken and Wente both have the skating to be excellent in time. Skarzynski has brought energy to the forward spot that it needs, so I think they'll get there.

As for Agnew, I don't know what to think. Is she another like Nina Rodgers who isn't a natural fit for UM's systems? I hope she finds a niche soon, or I don't seen how she winds up on the top three lines next year.

Agree with Eeyore on #12. Listening to Friday's audio, she was mostly absent, and yesterday, I could see why. It's tough being a freshman in the WCHA. When Keller or Schammel get the puck, it seems like they are always a zone ahead of their linemates, and the backcheck catches up before puck support does.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I guess I think Peters and Gulstene should each get a start next weekend.

the Gopher back checking made OSU look pretty good a few weeks ago.

I saw the Badgers play this weekend, Bemidji outplayed them the first period Friday, then the Badgers came out and steamrolled them. If the Gophers have a freshman goalie with two freshmen defenders in front of her it ain't gonna be pretty.

Comment

Working...
                                X