Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    A split in this series with Minnesota...I think they leave Minnesota pretty happy with that.
    Not many out-of-conference opponents have achieved that.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      I thought Merrimack played pretty well. When the Gophers started to take over in the second period yesterday, Merrimack pushed back and really tried to hang on.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
        Gulstene is the best incoming goalie in the WCHA. When she takes over they will be a tough team to beat.
        No sense in rushing her into duty, Frosty should take his time on that one. If she starts to soon, gets torched and get Petersitis, you folks are screwed. Just looking out for your best interest. We were on the same side in the Civil war. I will always appreciate the 1st MN and their gallant counterattack at Gettysburg. Too bad they could not have been attached to the Iron Brigade.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          No sense in rushing her into duty, Frosty should take his time on that one. If she starts to soon, gets torched and get Petersitis, you folks are screwed. Just looking out for your best interest. We were on the same side in the Civil war. I will always appreciate the 1st MN and their gallant counterattack at Gettysburg. Too bad they could not have been attached to the Iron Brigade.
          With enemies like this, who needs friends

Comment

Just looking out for your best interests.
            You're about as believable as...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBe_guezGGc
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              That reminds me... ARM once told me that no non-conference opponent has a winning record against the Gophers (I think?). Does that mean that after Friday, Merrimack (at the time) became the only team to have accomplished that feat?
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                With enemies like this, who needs friends
                I feel the same way, you folks are just a swell lot.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                  That reminds me... ARM once told me that no non-conference opponent has a winning record against the Gophers (I think?). Does that mean that after Friday, Merrimack (at the time) became the only team to have accomplished that feat?
                  Merrimack: The Holy Cross of women's hockey.

Comment

Yes...Is the short answer. Maybe opposing fans of Minnesota will create a nice market for Merrimack to sell some jerseys.
                    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 10-02-2017, 03:54 PM.
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Minnesota was 19-1 in season openers until this weekend. The 1 in 19-1 was Robert Morris. On opening weekend 2008-09 Robert Morris won the season opener 3-2 at Ridder despite being outshot 65-10. Robert Morris also actually scored first in the second game but the Gophers buried them 7-1 (50-13 in SOG) with goals from Schoullis getting the equalizer and then Gigi Marvin scoring the GWG unassisted and shorthanded. Marvin and Sarah Erickson each had two goals and Gigi also had an assist. JLam had two assists and MLam had one in the second games of their short run as Gophers.

Merrimack and Robert Morris.
                      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                        Merrimack and Robert Morris.
                        That is amazing.
                        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Are there conference opponents with winning records against the Gophers? I looked for a "press guide" or "fact book" at their web site but didn't find one.

The UW web site has a book that lists game-by-game and cumulative records against everyone every played (along with MUCH other info). Gophers currently leading 48-30-11. (Before 2005, UW didn't win very many.)

http://www.uwbadgers.com/documents/2...Recordbook.pdf

Duluth doesn't seem to have such a book, either.

(Adding the answer to the next obvious question, other teams against whom the Badgers don't have a better record? Surprisingly, three: Brown 0-2 (played in 1999 and 2000), New Hampshire 6-6-1, and Princeton 0-0-1 (again, in 1999) )
                          Last edited by robertearle; 10-02-2017, 10:29 PM.

Comment

We were on the same side in the Civil war.
                            Not to detract from your point but why is it that almost everyone, Americans and non Americans alike, including history books, refer to the war between the states as the "Civil War" when it was no such thing?...it was a war of secession.

Just askin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              Not to detract from your point but why is it that almost everyone, Americans and non Americans alike, including history books, refer to the war between the states as the "Civil War" when it was no such thing?...it was a war of secession.

Just askin'.
                              The south lost, thus settling the legal question of whether or not it was a civil war.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

Just askin'.
                                A civil war is a war between citizens of the same country, and yes the southern states seceded, but I don't believe the US government officially ever recognized they left, hence at least from the north's standpoint is was a civil war. I suppose from the south's perspective it was a revolutionary war, or a war of independence. That was a good question, I had not thought of it in these term before.

I've often pondered the thought of WI, MN and MI seceding from the US and forming it's own country.

Comment

Working...
                                X