Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

Interesting to hear others say they don’t think it will happen anytime soon. I understand why the entire state of Michigan wouldn’t add hockey right now, but still wonder if Notre Dame might put something together. I take Eeyore’s word that the money from tv rights is going to go down, but at the same time I look at things like the athlete’s village that just opened at Minnesota, and it seems like there is money at the big schools (probably from boosters, but still).

Further, you look at small schools that have very respectable programs on presumably a much smaller budget and it’s hard to believe a big school is never going to come up with a similar amount of money and start a program of their own, especially if they have a rink, men’s hockey and women’s club team already.

Anyway, a bridge to cross another day I guess.
    one of the few things eeyore is correct about, but then Blackbeard and myself said this a year ago

look at it this way, if schools like Clarkson and Mercyhurst didn't have hockey, you'd never have heard of them. Clarkson isn't going to win a national championship in women's hoops or men's football

the athletes village at U of MN has had a hard time getting funding since it depends on donations, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Big Teen school to add women's hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      one of the few things eeyore is correct about, but then Blackbeard and myself said this a year ago

look at it this way, if schools like Clarkson and Mercyhurst didn't have hockey, you'd never have heard of them. Clarkson isn't going to win a national championship in women's hoops or men's football

the athletes village at U of MN has had a hard time getting funding since it depends on donations, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Big Teen school to add women's hockey
      Haha, ok I won’t hold my breath. I will enjoy the current structures and hope the sport continues to grow in other ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        Haha, ok I won’t hold my breath. I will enjoy the current structures and hope the sport continues to grow in other ways.
        I'd agree that starting up a BTHC on the women's side would be way too costly to work. I mean, UMn got up to #5 in the PWR, and still had to play the team that was #1 the entire season until the day we beat them for the first time in 5 games? And that was because of costs. So if the sport can't afford to have teams travel out of their regions to keep things more fair the one and only weekend it could help and really counts more than any other games basically, then there is no way it could afford to travel every weekend.

No the only way Women's hockey will be able to afford to grow is if schools that need to add a women's program so that they can keep or add a mens program have the ability to start up women's hockey and are within driving distance to schools already playing. So maybe a Miami of Ohio for example? UND coming back alive? And honestly at this point, I just don't see the women's game expanding much more in the near future and may need the men's game to expand more first. The men's game can expand because the NHL is expanding and spreading out into areas of the country outside of the Midwest and East Coast and because the NHL feels it can benefit by helping chk to expand and because rich alums are more likely to pony up the cash needed to make it happen. Guess we need some billionaires to become women's hockey fans. But if the men's game expands, some schools may need to add a woman's team as well in order to keep right with Title IX?

The men's game also may expand because kids giving up on football won't always choose bb or wrestling so some will choose hockey. There is no women's sport struggling, in fact women's sports were growing for awhile there and so women's hockey had to compete with other sports. Maybe if sex scandals involving Gymnastics coaches keep popping up maybe there will be a lot of young girls not going the route of gymnastics? That is something I could see happening. A lot harder for a hockey coach to get creepy with a female athlete when she's wearing all of her pads and equipment compared to what Gymnasts wear.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
          I'd agree that starting up a BTHC on the women's side would be way too costly to work. I mean, UMn got up to #5 in the PWR, and still had to play the team that was #1 the entire season until the day we beat them for the first time in 5 games? And that was because of costs. So if the sport can't afford to have teams travel out of their regions to keep things more fair the one and only weekend it could help and really counts more than any other games basically, then there is no way it could afford to travel every weekend.

No the only way Women's hockey will be able to afford to grow is if schools that need to add a women's program so that they can keep or add a mens program have the ability to start up women's hockey and are within driving distance to schools already playing. So maybe a Miami of Ohio for example? UND coming back alive? And honestly at this point, I just don't see the women's game expanding much more in the near future and may need the men's game to expand more first. The men's game can expand because the NHL is expanding and spreading out into areas of the country outside of the Midwest and East Coast and because the NHL feels it can benefit by helping chk to expand and because rich alums are more likely to pony up the cash needed to make it happen. Guess we need some billionaires to become women's hockey fans. But if the men's game expands, some schools may need to add a woman's team as well in order to keep right with Title IX?

The men's game also may expand because kids giving up on football won't always choose bb or wrestling so some will choose hockey. There is no women's sport struggling, in fact women's sports were growing for awhile there and so women's hockey had to compete with other sports. Maybe if sex scandals involving Gymnastics coaches keep popping up maybe there will be a lot of young girls not going the route of gymnastics? That is something I could see happening. A lot harder for a hockey coach to get creepy with a female athlete when she's wearing all of her pads and equipment compared to what Gymnasts wear.
          A thought on hockey expansion: The USAHA national high school championships were held in Plymouth MN last week. The Florida State HS champions played in the tourney. I was not able to find the total number of schools with a team but there are 18 - 18! - in the Tampa area alone. I wouldn't have been surprised if that was the state total. (BTW - The winning team was Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School from Parkland FL, Parkland is near Ft. Lauderdale so pretty far South). The game is growing
          TO BE CLEAR> MSD High won the State Tourney, didn't do so hot in the national one

But expense is still the controlling factor. Given the shortage of money I don't expect any schools to be adding womens hockey because it might take money away from football & basketball programs.
          Last edited by ne7minder; 03-30-2018, 03:56 PM. Reason: avoid pendants & disappointments

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            A thought on hockey expansion: The USAHA national high school championships were held in Plymouth MN last week. (BTW - The winning team was Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School from Parkland FL, Parkland is near Ft. Lauderdale so pretty far South).
            Nice story here:

https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_s...180fd13f9.html
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Yes indeed. Thx.

Comment

Sidney Peters, Hockey Humanitarian winner. Congrats. Every NC$$ player should listen to her speech. "Hockey is not your identity" and if you think it is repeat after me "Hockey is not your identiy".

http://www.uscho.com/2018/04/06/2018...your-identity/
                Last edited by vicb; 04-06-2018, 07:02 PM.
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Scobee will be the starter next year! Sounds like Clarkson is going to get better quick! Crazy offseason for the gals game!

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                    Sidney Peters, Hockey Humanitarian winner. Congrats. Every NC$$ player should listen to her speech. "Hockey is not your identity" and if you think it is repeat after me "Hockey is not your identiy".

http://www.uscho.com/2018/04/06/2018...your-identity/
                    Wonderful, thanks for posting.

Comment

Interesting story on the beginning of girls youth hockey in MN. It includes Laura Holldorson as a player
                      https://nationals.usahockey.com/news...le/show/904234

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                        Interesting story on the beginning of girls youth hockey in MN. It includes Laura Holldorson as a player
                        https://nationals.usahockey.com/news...le/show/904234
                        I'm guessing Laura Halldorson is the 3rd from the left top row player in the colored photo and maybe the lower middle top row player in the black and white photo. It's hard to imagine the usually restrained coach "running across the ice on my toes."

Thanks for the article.
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-07-2018, 01:02 PM. Reason: Girl's hockey has come a long way since 1978.
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Always nice to see former Gophers doing well after their playing days are over.

ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT: ANGELA BOREK
                          http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...gn=GopherDaily

Comment

The WCHA has a preliminary schedule posted: http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1718/201805/may8wcw.php GWH is taking part in the Windjammer Classic in late November and is hosting the first Minnesota Cup in early January.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                              The WCHA has a preliminary schedule posted: http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1718/201805/may8wcw.php GWH is taking part in the Windjammer Classic in late November and is hosting the first Minnesota Cup in early January.
                              More non-conference games against conference opponents we already play four times during the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                                More non-conference games against conference opponents we already play four times during the regular season.
                                Yup. Went from one such game in past years to two such going forward. Not a hardship for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X