Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Reminder that the Gophers/Huskies are on Fox Sports North today at 3 CST.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Best play of Taylor Williamson's Gopher career to set up Lindsay Agnew for goal #2

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
        Best play of Taylor Williamson's Gopher career to set up Lindsay Agnew for goal #2
        I've always been partial to her opening goal versus Wisco' in the 2016 FF.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

There was some great passing from the Gophs in the second period. Very fun to watch!

Comment

That was a good game. They did a better job of burying their chances, and when they gave up a late goal, they diligently limited it to just one.

Comment

Top 3 thoughts on the games in St Cloud. 1. The best hot chocolate and best deal on it in all of the WCHA arena's is in St Cloud hands down. 20 oz of a hot and delicious beverage for $2.50. Compare that to the measly cup (my wife who buys it for me says no more than 8oz) of warm not very good tasting liquid at Ridder that costs $3.00. 2. Sure hoped and thought Lindsay Agnew would get a hat trick yesterday, if not a pure one. My wife was very happy that her favorite player got 2 goals though. 3. This was not the same old St Cloud team we have seen play in recent years. They could be tough in a 2 out of 3 series at Ridder.
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Dan interviewed Patti Marshall between periods yesterday. He praised the team's play in OT Friday and asked her what caused the OT odd man rushes the Gophers had and she answered confidently and directly "I think that was just a glimpse of what our team can be".

As a fan there are lots of things to doubt about them and they seem to have found a lot of ways to lose throughout the season. But Patti convinced me of her investment in this team and that she's still a believer and I really enjoyed hearing that from her.

Olivia Knowles, Emily Brown, and Patti are a pretty good foundation for the defense next season. Katie Robinson can add value as well. I wonder who will be the leader of next years' d corps. Emily Brown is my favorite and I think best case scenario she is the leader. I was thinking the odds are .33 chance it's Brown, .33 Knowles, .33 Marshall and .01 somebody else. But maybe it will be Skarsynski lol. Knowles and Brown (let alone Marshall) both probably have more minutes at defense for the Gophers than Sophie has had.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                  Top 3 thoughts on the games in St Cloud. 1. The best hot chocolate and best deal on it in all of the WCHA arena's is in St Cloud hands down. 20 oz of a hot and delicious beverage for $2.50. Compare that to the measly cup (my wife who buys it for me says no more than 8oz) of warm not very good tasting liquid at Ridder that costs $3.00. 2. Sure hoped and thought Lindsay Agnew would get a hat trick yesterday, if not a pure one. My wife was very happy that her favorite player got 2 goals though. 3. This was not the same old St Cloud team we have seen play in recent years. They could be tough in a 2 out of 3 series at Ridder.
                  I feel Lindsay has been playing better since the rumor leaked that she is transferring. Although Taylor Williamson had something to say about the creation of those goals

I loved Taylor's moves in the game yesterday.

I also think St Cloud has been playing better.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    I feel Lindsay has been playing better since the rumor leaked that she is transferring. Although Taylor Williamson had something to say about the creation of those goals

I loved Taylor's moves in the game yesterday.

I also think St Cloud has been playing better.
                    I agree 100%. Taylor's is now playing with the fire and energy I had hoped for from Minnesota's 2015 Ms Hockey. And she managed to keep it up for the whole game despite getting banged around quite a bit out there. Just a great effort and pass by Taylor to Lindsay on that second goal, too.
                    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-04-2018, 04:59 PM. Reason: The stated first was actually the second.

Comment

Sidney Peters is one of five finalists for Hockey Humanitarian of the year. For all her volunteer work especially a trip to Haiti with Project Medishare where she spent eight days volunteering at Haiti’s only critical care and trauma hospital. As well as her emt work, classwork and hockey.

I remember Brittany Ammerman winning in 2015 for basically starting and funding a soccer league for villages in Kenya. I loved that story.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        The Gophs could conceivably play 60 minutes of better hockey than they have to date and knock someone out of the tournament. But to beat three top-four teams in a row, when they have yet to defeat a currently-ranked team all season? No, they just aren't consistent enough. No sandbagging -- the Gophers are a "wait 'til next year" type of team.
                        Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                        The more I watch them play, the more I question the “wait until next year team”. Granted, they will be getting a few ringers back but will it be enough? Other teams are also getting better. Wisconsin will have Clark and Pankowski and likely be #1. OSU will be a year older and have a few interesting recruits coming in that will help on the back end. . UMD will have their goaltender while Bemidji, St-Cloud and Mankato continue to improve. I can see the Gophers being right where they are this year. I do believe that the WCHA will be extremely competitive even moreso than it is right now which is only good for the game.
                        Gophers are also getting in a freshman class that some of us have high hopes for. It's not only Pannek and Sarah Potomak.

We have given up goals on a high percentage of shots last year and this year. Sidney Peters had a weak start last year that set a weird tone for the team, but the high shooting percentage last year and this I don't think has simply been a goalie issue.

If we can get shake off some of our un-Gopher like issues of the last couple years and get back to Gopher Hockey:
                        -backchecking
                        -forwards picking up loose attackers in our defensive zone
                        -defensemen playing a little more sound
                        We might have a team that doesn't give up a goal on the 2nd or 3rd shot of the game regularly.

Add a few more scoring forwards, which is likely. It's a whole new team.

Alex Gulstene is a wild card, but who knows. It's going to be her team. The attitude of the whole team will be new. Her pedigree coming in was sure good enough we might as well think positive on Alex as well.
                        Last edited by KTDC; 02-08-2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Apparently Hannah Brandt is a two sport athlete in the Olympics

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...181#fullscreen

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyhub View Post
                            Apparently Hannah Brandt is a two sport athlete in the Olympics

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...181#fullscreen
                            Well, I bet Hannah would be good at cross-country skiing as would Gigi (born in St Paul, not Warroad?). Not so sure about Vonn at curling though. She's so competitive she might not be able to back off on her sweeping when needed.
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-09-2018, 08:06 AM. Reason: Do they drink beer while curling in the Olympics as they do in Gilbert. Mn?

Comment

From yesterday's StarTribune, includes short write-ups of each of the players with Minnesota (mostly Gopher) ties:

TEAM MINNESOTA
                              Meet the 22 U.S. Olympians and two alternates who will keep state’s flame burning bright

http://www.startribune.com/meet-the-...ics/473451333/

Best of luck to all of our Minnesota representatives!
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                                Well, I bet Hannah would be good at cross-country skiing as would Gigi (born in St Paul, not Warroad?). Not so sure about Vonn at curling though. She's so competitive she might not be able to back off on her sweeping when needed.
                                Well they got birthplace & sport wrong on several players so my guess is that none of the info is reliable

Yes, sorry if that was not clear, ad d2d says my comment was about the AOL sheet.
                                Last edited by ne7minder; 02-10-2018, 10:44 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Working...
                                X