Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
    Yup. Went from one such game in past years to two such going forward. Not a hardship for me.
    BLECH! We should figure out how to hold a separate showcase & bring in actual non-conference teams to play non-conference games. I realize the sudden demise of the team with no name caused a lot of scheduling problems but this is not the answer. I'm afraid if this become routine we will be stuck with it and unable to schedule more interesting and useful (for RPI) games
    Last edited by ne7minder; 05-11-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
    Yup. Went from one such game in past years to two such going forward. Not a hardship for me.
    It looks like these games are replacing exhibition versus the Whitecaps, so I consider it an improvement. Give me games over exhibitions anytime.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

FANS SHARE FAVORITE MOMENTS OF 2017-18

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...051818aaa.html
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

KESSEL SIGNS WITH RIVETERS FOR 2018-19

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...gn=GopherDaily

GOPHERS SHARE FAVORITE MOMENTS OF 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    GOPHERS SHARE FAVORITE MOMENTS OF 2017-18

Fun piece; thanks for posting.

At least 4 players mentioned Sierra Smith's First Goal as a season highlight. Can anyone offer a description of the scoring play? Just curious as to what made it spectacular.

Or maybe the significance is simply that three years of hard work finally culminated in a goal...

Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post

At least 4 players mentioned Sierra Smith's First Goal as a season highlight. Can anyone offer a description of the scoring play? Just curious as to what made it spectacular.

Or maybe the significance is simply that three years of hard work finally culminated in a goal...
    It's the latter. The goal itself was unremarkable, coming late in a blowout against MSU-Mankato.

It was a beautiful goal as she "split the D to score her first goal" with a little help from Pieper and Brown. We were very pleased to be in Mankato to see her score the goal. Three years ago my wife and I had a very nice chat with her as she loaded suitcases onto the team bus all by herself after one of the games in Columbus. She's a hard worker and not just on the ice.

Along with the return of Taylor Williamson to the ice at Ridder and the team winning the WCHA tournament they would be our three favorite moments of the past season.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

The exact definition of beauty appears to vary from one beholder to the next.

Regardless, it was obviously a beautiful thing. Thanks for the replies.

The exact definition of beauty appears to vary from one beholder to the next.

Regardless, it was obviously a beautiful thing. Thanks for the replies.
    I was watching the stream of the game and it was as Bluffrinkrat describes. Nice play all around in getting the puck to Smith and she accelerated nicely to get herself free. But what really stood out was the quality of the shot she took. A very nice snipe.

Kelly Pannek (and Dani Cameranesi) are playing in an otherwise all-male "Bender League" this summer.

https://accelerationnorthwest.com/the-bender-league/

Separately, it's been reported that Cameranesi has signed with Buffalo of the NWHL.

Kelly Pannek (and Dani Cameranesi) are playing in an otherwise all-male "Bender League" this summer.

https://accelerationnorthwest.com/the-bender-league/

Separately, it's been reported that Cameranesi has signed with Buffalo of the NWHL.
    Good for her but a bit surprised that she will not be playing for the Whitecaps in their inaugural season.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    Good for her but a bit surprised that she will not be playing for the Whitecaps in their inaugural season.
    I understand that you mean their inaugural season in the NWHL, but the Whitecaps have been around since 2004. I wonder if it is a case of Buffalo owning her rights, or if there are other life circumstances that led Dani east.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I understand that you mean their inaugural season in the NWHL, but the Whitecaps have been around since 2004. I wonder if it is a case of Buffalo owning her rights, or if there are other life circumstances that led Dani east.
    Correct, that is what I meant. As for Dani, not sure if she is on Buffalo’s protected list but that could explain why.

Former Gophers goalie Amanda Leveille to sign with NWHL's Whitecaps

“Playing for Minnesota in college was an unbelievable experience,” said Leveille, an Ontario native. “The fans and community in Minnesota are second to none. When you come onto the ice and there are a lot of young girls that want to fist-bump you, it’s just a great feeling.”

http://www.startribune.com/former-go...aps/485789211/

MEET THE NEWCOMERS: SYDNEY SCOBEE

Loved her (very honest) answer to this question: "How did you decide to start your college career at Vermont?"
    "Since I’m the baby of the family, I decided I wanted to go far away because I was worried my parents would be showing up at my college all of the time."

And there is little doubt Grant would love her answer to this question: "Who is the best player you’ve ever played against?"

According to the Strib this morning, Brandt and Stecklein will sign with the Whitecaps: http://www.startribune.com/olympians...aps/485988372/

And there is little doubt Grant would love her answer to this question: "Who is the best player you’ve ever played against?"
    MK-Ultra...

Wait Watt? No respect for the skating Jesus?
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 06-20-2018 at 10:04 AM.

MEET THE NEWCOMERS: SYDNEY SCOBEE
    Maybe she saw this coming.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/04/w...lthy-life.html

Excerpts:

Where’s the best place in America to live if you want to maximize your chances of living longer?
    Based on an authoritative new state-by-state study of the American burden of disease, disability and premature death, and how it has changed from 1990 to 2016, you might consider setting down roots in Hawaii, where residents have the longest life expectancy, 81.3 years.

But if your goal is to live long and stay healthy as long as you can, call Minnesota your home, which outranks every state and the District of Columbia for average length of healthy life expectancy, 70.3 years.

Minnesotans joke that the long months of subfreezing temperatures preserve them, but Dr. Christopher J.L. Murray, the new study’s lead author, told me, “Living in cold is pretty bad for you; Minnesotans would probably be even healthier if it wasn’t so cold there.”

Rumor has it that Frosty has made an offer to late-bloomer "Snail Mail". Not expected to compete for a spot on the first line, but she knows how to "drop the gloves" whenever needed plus has other talents that should be valuable in the locker room to get her teammates "totally stoked" before games.

https://youtu.be/-d91Qn8QUks

Thread Information