Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 932

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

  1. #501
    Making America Troll Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    I'm a pathetic troll
    Posts
    1,945

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Despite the win I came away disappointed from the game tonight. Thought the Gophers' effort just wasn't there after they took the two goal lead (the worst lead in hockey?) towards the end of the 2nd period. I guess after outshooting St. Cloud 12-1 in the first period they thought they could relax and coast for the win? But give credit to the Huskies for never quitting. I thought they actually outplayed the Gophers in the 3rd, which made it "interesting" until the final buzzer.

    This Gopher team is not good enough to ever let up, and once again this became painfully obvious this evening. The old saying is "A win is a win", and I guess that's true, but I came away with the distinct feeling that Minnesota MUST be consistently better than they showed tonight if they are to have success in the post season.
    When you get tired, if you continue to attempt to play at maximum output, the first thing to go is your mind, the ability to make good decisions. The body can respond to commands for a while until it too can no longer do as directed.

    If you have made a bad decision (or even the least optimum) you put extra demands on your body, compounding the problem. You now have to make up for a less than optimal decision with a body that has little left in the tank.
    About 15 years ago in Rochester I saw WI skate with two lines against MN who skated three. WI was beating MN.. If WI had skated three, their lines would have been diluted and MN likely would have had the upper hand. The most interesting thing about the game was if WI would tire and then MN prevail because they werenít as tired.

    It didnít happen, today there is no way a team can skate two lines and beat another skating three unless there is a big difference in skill between the two teams. I think it is highly unlikely MN could beat SCSU with two lines, as we have seen in the past two games between the two, two blueline pairs are barely enough to survive a win, despite having three lines. And moving Skarzynski to the blueline weakens the ability to score, so although that might help the D, it hurts the overall team.

    With 5 healthy blueliners, this team is good enough to make the NCAA, and good enough to beat anybody, but with four, if they are lucky enough to make the NCAA, they will beat nobody. They may not even make the NCAA, without a victory over WI or another near sweep by OSU, their chances of being displaced by someone else is pretty good. They will also likely lose to a team or two below them in the WCHA.
    Doing my best to alleviate our nations political hysteria.

  2. #502
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,054

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    When you get tired, if you continue to attempt to play at maximum output, the first thing to go is your mind, the ability to make good decisions. The body can respond to commands for a while until it too can no longer do as directed.

    If you have made a bad decision (or even the least optimum) you put extra demands on your body, compounding the problem. You now have to make up for a less than optimal decision with a body that has little left in the tank.
    About 15 years ago in Rochester I saw WI skate with two lines against MN who skated three. WI was beating MN.. If WI had skated three, their lines would have been diluted and MN likely would have had the upper hand. The most interesting thing about the game was if WI would tire and then MN prevail because they werenít as tired.

    It didnít happen, today there is no way a team can skate two lines and beat another skating three unless there is a big difference in skill between the two teams. I think it is highly unlikely MN could beat SCSU with two lines, as we have seen in the past two games between the two, two blueline pairs are barely enough to survive a win, despite having three lines. And moving Skarzynski to the blueline weakens the ability to score, so although that might help the D, it hurts the overall team.

    With 5 healthy blueliners, this team is good enough to make the NCAA, and good enough to beat anybody, but with four, if they are lucky enough to make the NCAA, they will beat nobody. They may not even make the NCAA, without a victory over WI or another near sweep by OSU, their chances of being displaced by someone else is pretty good. They will also likely lose to a team or two below them in the WCHA.
    Every now and then you surprise with a well thought out post...Nicely done.

    Hey and if you're interested I'm looking to get rid of some vintage Star Wars figures still in the blisterpack. Ma says it time I start thinking about moving on.

  3. #503
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,455

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Every now and then you surprise with a well thought out post...Nicely done.
    As I've alluded to before, when pokechecker uses proper punctuation and capitalization, the comment is often interesting and useful. When it trolls, it does so with bad grammar.

  4. #504
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,054

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    When itt trolls, itt does so with bad grammar.
    Are you giving us a clue that this is pokechecker?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ajHEdsdU4

  5. #505
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    As I've alluded to before, when pokechecker uses proper punctuation and capitalization, the comment is often interesting and useful. When it trolls, it does so with bad grammar.
    The janitor at work is like this. When he is on his meds he is a decent guy. I wish pukechucker would get the help he so desperately needs. Till then he stays on the ignore list because the interesting stuff is never worth the bile. This is a guy that made homophobic slurs against female hockey players on this board.
    Last edited by ne7minder; 01-11-2018 at 05:02 PM.

  6. #506
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,054

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Folks, if you're saying that you're ignoring him and then continue to comment on him...You're not really ignoring him are you?

  7. #507
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,054

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    I suppose the glass half full crowd will explain this away but honestly...There is no excuse for the performance of Minnesota so far tonight.

  8. #508
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,054

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Interesting that Olivia Knowles has scored her second own-goal of the season.

  9. #509
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,054

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Maybe the Gophers should forgo playing at home and just play on the road for the remainder of the year.

  10. #510
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,833
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Folks, if you're saying that you're ignoring him and then continue to comment on him...You're not really ignoring him are you?
    It is important to warn others.

  11. #511
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,455

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    That was a depressing game in every conceivable way. There was a palpable lack of effort, possibly the worst they've played in the eight years I've been following this team; if someone told me that the whole team had salmonella poisoning, I wouldn't be surprised. Lindsey Agnew absolutely deserved to be tossed out for checking from behind; it was a brutal play against a player who was not only facing the other way, but was bent over such that she hit the boards with the top of her head. And my guess is that Kippin Keller, one of the only players who I thought played hard last night, is done for the year, given the way she was carried off the ice.

    Hopefully things are better today.

  12. #512
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    That was a depressing game in every conceivable way. There was a palpable lack of effort, possibly the worst they've played in the eight years I've been following this team; if someone told me that the whole team had salmonella poisoning, I wouldn't be surprised. Lindsey Agnew absolutely deserved to be tossed out for checking from behind; it was a brutal play against a player who was not only facing the other way, but was bent over such that she hit the boards with the top of her head. And my guess is that Kippin Keller, one of the only players who I thought played hard last night, is done for the year, given the way she was carried off the ice.

    Hopefully things are better today.
    For me it's five years. Hopefully things are better today.

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    I suppose the glass half full crowd will explain this away but honestly...There is no excuse for the performance of Minnesota so far tonight.
    One good thing is I the players on the visitors bench really enjoyed themselves.

  13. #513
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Maybe the Gophers should forgo playing at home and just play on the road for the remainder of the year.
    We have larger issues than home and away. What is Frost doing? A once proud program that top players dreamed about playing for is becoming a laughing stock.

  14. #514
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Call It View Post
    We have larger issues than home and away. What is Frost doing? A once proud program that top players dreamed about playing for is becoming a laughing stock.
    The team is experiencing what most other "regular" teams go through during any given season, and some of the Gopher (un)faithful are hitting the panic button. I love it. Welcome to the real world Gopher fans!

  15. #515
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,455

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    The team is experiencing what most other "regular" teams go through during any given season, and some of the Gopher (un)faithful are hitting the panic button. I love it. Welcome to the real world Gopher fans!
    It's more that perpetual whiners will whine.

  16. #516
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    That was a depressing game in every conceivable way. There was a palpable lack of effort, possibly the worst they've played in the eight years I've been following this team; if someone told me that the whole team had salmonella poisoning, I wouldn't be surprised. Lindsey Agnew absolutely deserved to be tossed out for checking from behind; it was a brutal play against a player who was not only facing the other way, but was bent over such that she hit the boards with the top of her head. And my guess is that Kippin Keller, one of the only players who I thought played hard last night, is done for the year, given the way she was carried off the ice.

    Hopefully things are better today.
    I'm very interested to see how they perform today. There seemed to be an element of delusion in the team in how hard they didn't come out and play yesterday. They'd had a month off to heal and rest and gear up for the second half of the season. I thought they started to play hard when Agnew committed the major penalty.

  17. #517
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Call It View Post
    We have larger issues than home and away. What is Frost doing? A once proud program that top players dreamed about playing for is becoming a laughing stock.
    I bet if we search hard enough we can still find a top young player out there that wants to play for the Gophers

  18. #518
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Call It View Post
    We have larger issues than home and away. What is Frost doing? A once proud program that top players dreamed about playing for is becoming a laughing stock.
    a laughing stock? OMG, get real. Next season we get both Pannek and Potomak back. Last year Kelly led the nation in scoring and Sarah was the nations leading scorer among Sophs & #7 overall. And we'll also have Sarah's little sister joining the team as well, along with quite a few of the most promising recruits. We could potentially have the #1 scoring Sr, Jr, So & Fr in the nation next year? Or close to it, as that little scoring duo for BC might not let that happen, or it could be that they are only doing as well as they are because all the good players are on Olympic teams?

    Point being, Frost is fine, more than fine in fact. And we are STILL a proud program, and should be for at least another 3 years, until the next Olympic year, that is.

  19. #519
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Call It View Post
    A once proud program that top players dreamed about playing for is becoming a laughing stock.
    That might be the most ridiculous comment ever posted here, that is one heck of an accomplishment.

  20. #520
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    That might be the most ridiculous comment ever posted here, that is one heck of an accomplishment.
    Itís up there. I honestly canít understand those comments. Frost is a very good coach, class act who is very well respected. It takes all kinds.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •