Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    Do you know anyone in the UM athletic department who might be able to tell you a 'tickets scanned' number? We, generally, all did this last year with 'Fill The Bowl' and a 'tickets scanned' number ultimately became known, IIRC.
    I was privy to the chat between members of the promotions department and the "scanned tix" match the attendance figures.

As for Bucky hosting the WCHA FFO, I think many in the league would love that, but as UW people have told me is that it boils down to lack of locker room facilities and to some degree lack of press area.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Was on the road driving to Florida Saturday and Sunday. The Wife and I were able to listen to Dan on the audio stream and were really happy for this group of players after the result Sunday.
    Thanks for the tune-in, Fiver.

Quote Originally Posted by play-by-play guy View Post
    As for Bucky hosting the WCHA FFO, I think many in the league would love that, but as UW people have told me is that it boils down to lack of locker room facilities and to some degree lack of press area.
    Been to Labahn a few times now & while it is too small the atmosphere is second to none. It would be a rocking place for the FF. I am much less impressed with Kohl. But I assume nobody is preventing UW from making the bid so it is hasn't been there I assume they have never asked for it. Had not heard the one about press area but have heard about locker rooms and also that there are conflicts for space that week.

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    Been to Labahn a few times now & while it is too small the atmosphere is second to none. It would be a rocking place for the FF. I am much less impressed with Kohl. But I assume nobody is preventing UW from making the bid so it is hasn't been there I assume they have never asked for it. Had not heard the one about press area but have heard about locker rooms and also that there are conflicts for space that week.
    I think LaBahn would be an awesome FF atmosphere too aside from those two deficiencies.

I was privy to the chat between members of the promotions department and the "scanned tix" match the attendance figures.

That leaves one of two possibilities: either they didn't report the 'tickets sold' number anywhere, or there were literally zero no-shows.

Those seem like such strange reasons.

At the very least there are extra locker rooms in the Kohl Center, and while it might not be ideal, it hardly seems like a dealbreaker for 2 games. Presumably the mens team has one locker room they use for both facilities, since they play in one and practice in the other. I'd also guess that the women use their normal locker room for Fill the Bowl - although I could be wrong. I also thought there were a couple of locker rooms in LaBahn for other sports - like swimming and/or tennis - that could potentially be used.

Actually, I think the Capitols USHL team has played a few games in LaBahn - so they must have had extra locker rooms available for those games?

I haven't been up to the press area, but noting the balcony extends along more than half the rink, you think you could find a way to make that work - but as with all of it, it would start by UW actually wanting to find a way to make it work. The lack of enthusiasm from UW still seems like it is the much bigger roadblock.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowheresville View Post
    Actually, I think the Capitols USHL team has played a few games in LaBahn - so they must have had extra locker rooms available for those games?
    I don't know about the Capitols, but I know for certain that local high schools use LaBahn for games now and then. My niece's husband's nephew played a state tournament game there a couple weeks ago (that I was NOT able to attend, much as I wanted to). Both Madison Edgewood and Madison West use it as a quasi-home rink.
    Last edited by robertearle; 03-07-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    That leaves one of two possibilities: either they didn't report the 'tickets sold' number anywhere, or there were literally zero no-shows.
    Or possibility 3: There were a very small number of no-shows, but the number isn't significant enough to change the overall picture that the two numbers "matched." If the tickets sold/announced number was 1855, but the actual tickets scanned was 1822, the promotions department would likely consider that to be a match - even if the two numbers aren't exactly equal.

As per the front page of the St Paul Pioneer Press the other day, "Vadnais Heights will celebrate on Thursday the return of Olympic sisters Hannah and Marissa Brandt... The event will be held at the Vadnais Heights Commons from 5 to 7:30 p.m. The gathering will be free and is open to the public."
    https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/0...mpic-athletes/

Hannah made the paper again today in a front page photo showing her in goal as Olympic teammate Hillary Knight attempts a shot during a visit to the New York Stock Exchange trading floor Tuesday. They don't mention if she made the save or not.

"The team also rang the opening bell," as per the photo caption.
    http://saintpaulpioneerpress.mn.news...t=eEditionPPST
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-07-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Put in inks with help, of course.

Great story here:

Gophers women's hockey forward Taylor Williamson battled health issues to play again
    http://www.startribune.com/gophers-w...ain/476437823/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Great story here:

Gophers women's hockey forward Taylor Williamson battled health issues to play again
    She is a difference maker on and off the ice. Amazing story.

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    She is a difference maker on and off the ice. Amazing story.
    There's no one on the team that plays harder than her.

Congratulation Gophers on a fine season! I already can't wait for next year.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-10-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: With Pannek and Potomaks and more.

Great story here:

Thanks for posting this.

We always need to be reminded how fragile life is and how courageous some of these young women are and that there is way more to all of this than just hockey.

Leading by example, whether or not they are aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Congratulation Gophers on a fine season! I already can't wait for next year.
    Have the Gophers ever in their history had a period of hockey where they only got one shot on goal?! Wow!

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Have the Gophers ever in their history had a period of hockey where they only got one shot on goal?! Wow!
    12 SOG for a whole game must also be a record as well, eh?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

The Williamson/Skarzynski/Agnew line was decent today. Emily Brown had a pretty good game; I'm not sure who should have been covering Roque on Wisconsin's second goal, but the whole team has been leaving opponents uncovered on the off wing for two months. And, despite giving up four goals, Sydney Peters played pretty well.

Beyond that, bleh. Reilly's penalty at the end was totally inappropriate, from a player that has often left me with the impression of having an attitude problem. Today was a sour end to a season that was a mild disappointment.

I feel pretty confident about next year, but they really need to work on their passing, both the decision making and the execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Reilly's penalty at the end was totally inappropriate, from a player that has often left me with the impression of having an attitude problem.
    Her penalty at the end of the game was obviously out of frustration, but I agree that's no excuse; it was clearly inappropriate. But looking back on the season, her senior year, you have to give her credit for the effort she gave, game in and game out. While not having the greatest hands nor the hardest shot on the team, her speed and relentless effort created opportunities, and she did end the year as the team's 5th leading scorer. Yes, she was perhaps a little "overly feisty" at times, but I would argue that her season total of 6 minor penalties in 37 games is not excessive, and is more reflective of her competitiveness than an attitude problem.

Her penalty at the end of the game was obviously out of frustration, but I agree that's no excuse; it was clearly inappropriate. But looking back on the season, her senior year, you have to give her credit for the effort she gave, game in and game out. While not having the greatest hands nor the hardest shot on the team, her speed and relentless effort created opportunities, and she did end the year as the team's 5th leading scorer. Yes, she was perhaps a little "overly feisty" at times, but I would argue that her season total of 6 minor penalties in 37 games is not excessive, and is more reflective of her competitiveness than an attitude problem.
    "Overly feisty" at times yes, but no Sam LaShomb. She was a good player that gave it her all. It's been fun watching all four of the Reilly's play at the U, none more than Caitlin.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-11-2018 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Hockey Life of Reilly's?

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    It's been fun watching all four of the Reilly's play at the U, none more than Caitlin.
    Yes, and in addition to those "all four" who played at the U there was the oldest sibling, Shannon, who played and excelled at Ohio State. Is there any other family that had as many as five siblings play D1 hockey?

Thread Information