Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Lots of Olympic Gold in the house for today's Frozen Four semi-finals.

Brandt, Stecklein, Cameranesi among the group that I observed at the southwest corner of the arena between periods of the first game.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      Did you know he started his career as a numbers runned for Kid Cohen? Then they needed a front when they bought a basketball team and he didn't have a record. That and a LOT of knob polishing became a very lucrative career.
      I did not know that he had any connection with the mob. Is Kid Cohen the LA mob guy Mickey Cohen, Bugsy Siegel's buddy?

I do know that Hartman like that turkey Pat Reusse has never had much interest in hockey as a sport. They both think it's a waste of good ice.
      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-17-2018, 03:47 AM. Reason: An offer he couldn't refuse?
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
        Lots of Olympic Gold in the house for today's Frozen Four semi-finals.

Brandt, Stecklein, Cameranesi among the group that I observed at the southwest corner of the arena between periods of the first game.
        They, along with Pannek, were part of a ceremonial puck-drop prior to each game.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          They, along with Pannek, were part of a ceremonial puck-drop prior to each game.
          It was especially nice to see and hear all the Badger fans standing and cheering loudly for the four Olympic players despite their Gopher pedigree. I would think that Gopher fans would have cheered just as loudly for Duggan, Knight, Decker and Rigsby, or probably even louder because it no doubt would become a competition.

Although, it was a little odd to say the least to see a certain Gopher fan all decked out in Badger "regalia" a few seats away from us. It's probably just a WCHA gesture and not that he's gone over to the dark side.
          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-17-2018, 06:38 PM. Reason: Better "Red" than dead?

Comment

• Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
            I did not know that he had any connection with the mob. Is Kid Cohen the LA mob guy Mickey Cohen, Bugsy Siegel's buddy?

I do know that Hartman like that turkey Pat Reusse has never had much interest in hockey as a sport. They both think it's a waste of good ice.
            Kid was the Minneapolis capo, I don't know who he worked for.

Comment

That and a LOT of knob polishing became a very lucrative career.
              Oh to return to the days when a plucky little guy with Brasso and a dream could make it in this city.

Comment

Did you know he started his career as a numbers runned for Kid Cohen? Then they needed a front when they bought a basketball team and he didn't have a record. That and a LOT of knob polishing became a very lucrative career.
                Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post

Kid was the Minneapolis capo, I don't know who he worked for.
                I'm not even from Minneapolis.

The mobster was Isadore Blumenfeld, aka Kid CANN.

Kid Cann grew up in North Minneapolis and eventually became boss. He had ties to the Chicago mob and to the Genovese family in New York but in Minneapolis HE was the boss. His downfall in Minnesota came in 1959 when he was convicted of violating the Mann Act (transportation of any woman or child across state lines for the purpose of prostitution). After a brief prison term he retired to Miami where he associated with his friend Meyer Lansky until he died in 1981. He is interred at the Adath Yeshurun Cemetery in Edina.

Comment

Kid Cann grew up in North Minneapolis and eventually became boss. He had ties to the Chicago mob and to the Genovese family in New York but in Minneapolis HE was the boss. His downfall in Minnesota came in 1959 when he was convicted of violating the Mann Act (transportation of any woman or child across state lines for the purpose of prostitution). After a brief prison term he retired to Miami where he associated with his friend Meyer Lansky until he died in 1981. He is interred at the Adath Yeshurun Cemetery in Edina.
                  Oh, that Kid Cann. Never heard of him either. I only go to Minneapolis to go to jazz clubs or Gopher hockey games. Now St Paul mob crime on the other hand? Well, truthfully I only know something about that from reading Steve Thayer's novel Saint Mudd. Although my uncle who died 20 years ago just short of 100 used to tell me stories about the FBI going into the house across the street at the corner of Mound and Burns and smashing the stills with their axes until the booze flowed down the street towards the edge of the bluff. Those were the days, indeed.
                  Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-18-2018, 02:32 AM. Reason: Are the Untouchables on tonight?

Comment

Thanks for the correction. I only have oral history to go by & a failing memory. St. Paul has a much more interesting gangster history with Dillinger, Ma Barker and other big names. My grandma's brother was a bit of a drinker in his youth. He had a lot of interesting stories about prohibition bars & also driving milk cans full of booze from Little Falls to St. Paul in the dead of night.

Comment

I saw that this thread had a recent post and thought it might be interesting. Then I remembered that Minnesota started their off season last weekend and realized that it couldn't be..... see you next year!

Comment

A question for regular Ridder attendees (that I forgot to ask Eeyore): There are two seats in the top row of section 2, I think it was, on the aisle between 1 and 2) that are gold; everything else as far as I could see was/is maroon. What's the story there?

Comment

A plaque identifies those two seats as reserved for Robert and Kathleen Ridder.

Apparently, they, like many hockey fans, preferred to sit high in the corner.

Comment

A plaque identifies those two seats as reserved for Robert and Kathleen Ridder.

Apparently, they, like many hockey fans, preferred to sit high in the corner.
                            I figured it was something like that. But then people actually sat there. Do they sometimes get left vacant, or am I being too 'literal'?

Comment

People sit there. Those are a couple of the best seats in the building, people SHOULD sit there.

If Robert and/or Kathleen actually appeared and wanted to take their reserved seats it would be a story much larger than hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                                I saw that this thread had a recent post and thought it might be interesting. Then I remembered that Minnesota started their off season last weekend and realized that it couldn't be..... see you next year!
                                and if you had actually read the thread instead of just being a jerk you would see that many of us expected the offseason to start even earlier. If you are going to insult us you will have to do a whole lot better than that.

Comment

Working...
                                X