UAH Hockey Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAH Hockey Offseason

Well, this is the year. 2017-18 arriving means that all of the players are Corbett's recruits, have been fully recruited by this team of three coaches, and have been recruited on the hopes that this team is on the rise from the ashes.

What's your hope for this team? What is progress? For me:

1. At a minimum, we have to make the playoffs. It doesn't feel like either Alaska school has made any great strides in the offseason, but the big thing for them is that they do seem to have quality student-athletes coming to their campuses. I like seeing that. But UAH has to out-pace two teams, and it seems like UAA will likely be one of them. NMU might be, too —*it may take Grant Potulny a year to get that team up to speed, and these kinds of coaching changes sometimes have a dip in them. LSSU doesn't seem to be a ton better outside of the goalie Mitens, who could well be the next hot WCHA goalie. Lastly, who knows about Ferris State?

2. I really want to avoid the 7/8 slot. Facing the top two teams in this league is always a struggle, and even though they can be knocked off, I'd rather not, you know?

3. This year is about seeing if we can get GF/GA in league play down to no worse than -0.2 (GF-GA)/GM. It's pretty much a given. Can we do that with a freshman goalie paired with a returner who didn't play until this season? We'll see.

It's gotta start this year.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Re: UAH Hockey Offseason

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Well, this is the year. 2017-18 arriving means that all of the players are Corbett's recruits, have been fully recruited by this team of three coaches, and have been recruited on the hopes that this team is on the rise from the ashes.

1. At a minimum, we have to make the playoffs. It doesn't feel like either Alaska school has made any great strides in the offseason, but the big thing for them is that they do seem to have quality student-athletes coming to their campuses. I like seeing that. But UAH has to out-pace two teams, and it seems like UAA will likely be one of them. NMU might be, too —*it may take Grant Potulny a year to get that team up to speed, and these kinds of coaching changes sometimes have a dip in them. LSSU doesn't seem to be a ton better outside of the goalie Mitens, who could well be the next hot WCHA goalie. Lastly, who knows about Ferris State?

2. I really want to avoid the 7/8 slot. Facing the top two teams in this league is always a struggle, and even though they can be knocked off, I'd rather not, you know?

3. This year is about seeing if we can get GF/GA in league play down to no worse than -0.2 (GF-GA)/GM. It's pretty much a given. Can we do that with a freshman goalie paired with a returner who didn't play until this season? We'll see.

GFM
    Double-digit wins, which I was hoping for two seasons ago. If that doesn't get us back in the playoffs, then fart noise.

Also, can we get that goal differential to the positive with the freshman forwards coming in? The only real scoring threat we're losing is Salhany. I'm hopeful that Uhelski and Sinclair will be fine.
    By the way, commitment list as I have it: http://uahhockey.com/commitments/
    We'll know for sure who's coming this fall when UAH announces likely in August after the signing period.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
      We'll know for sure who's coming this fall when UAH announces likely in August after the signing period.
      Sweet, you got the embeds fixed again!

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
        Double-digit wins, which I was hoping for two seasons ago. If that doesn't get us back in the playoffs, then fart noise.

Also, can we get that goal differential to the positive with the freshman forwards coming in? The only real scoring threat we're losing is Salhany. I'm hopeful that Uhelski and Sinclair will be fine.
        http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/

That site states the signing period is April 12 - August 1. Is it incorrect?
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/

That site states the signing period is April 12 - August 1. Is it incorrect?
          No. UAH has typically been making their announcements after the period is over.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
            Gonna come down to your goaltending if you can remain above us. I feel sorry for Mantha, solid goaltender that has an anemic offense at best playing with him. Also a relatively injury free season would be freaking nice for us.
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Hockey Commitments‏ @HockeyCommits
              Hank Sorensen (Waterloo Black Hawks) has committed to the University of Alabama-Huntsville for 2018-2019. @uahhockey @BlckHawksHockey @USHL

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=294538

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                Hank Sorensen (Waterloo Black Hawks) has committed to the University of Alabama-Huntsville for 2018-2019. @uahhockey @BlckHawksHockey @USHL

He fits the mullet roster we have right now: short up front, long in the back.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

It is nice to know we can still get a USHL guy once in a while.
                  Michael Napier - UAH '97
                  uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                  U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                  NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                  CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                  CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Another recruit, a goaltender

Josh Astorino (Georgetown Raiders) has committed to the University of Alabama-Huntsville for 2017-2018. @uahhockey @jastorino33

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=298821

Comment

Another recruit, a goaltender

Josh Astorino (Georgetown Raiders) has committed to the University of Alabama-Huntsville for 2017-2018. @uahhockey @jastorino33

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=298821
                      I'm guessing that finishes us out.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                      X