Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

Re: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    The complaint I'd have with Penn State this weekend was that once they took a lead, they'd start playing not to lose. Good thinks are less likely to happen when a team goes into a shell and play stays in its D zone. Other than that, the future looks much brighter.
    I said the same thing to the guy I sit with at home games, when Penn State was up 2-1 in the third period, and that they needed at least one more on the board. Overall, though, I was very happy with their play this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    I think they’ll match up similar to last year. Both teams gained and lost talent in their skaters. Both teams have similar goaltending situation as last year. Because it’s in conference, any difference in skill, to the extent that one exists, is minimized because it’s in conference and everyone gets up for in conference.
    Okay, now I'm really looking forward to next weekend. I want to see the same Mercyhurst we always face, because it's always good stuff.

Penn State's upcoming series against CHA rival Mercyhurst is a tough one to call this season. It seems like Mercyhurst has always been a thorn in the side for Penn State since it began D-1 play in 2012-13, but a Mercyhurst series has always been a sort of measure, too, for where that Penn State team was in their development. Last season, Penn State lost 3 of 4 against Mercyhurst, and that's been about par for the course for the past five years, in general.

This season, Penn State is much more aggressive, they're getting much better at playing the same aggressive game on day two, and they push the action from one end of the ice to the other. There isn't much about this 2017-18 team that looks very similar to any of the prior seasons, with a few exceptions that continue to improve - but things that need work are narrowing down to individual habits rather than being a collective result of ineffective coaching. But that's why it's so hard to call the upcoming series against Mercyhurst.

I really hope Mercyhurst comes to Pegula Ice Arena this weekend full of fire as usual, wanting to battle, pushing the intensity all weekend, because I want to see Penn State deal with that and push back, and push even harder on game two. It's always been a fast, hard, aggressive series with Mercyhurst, lots of fun for fans on both sides (chirp, anyone?), and I hope it continues Friday and Saturday.
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 11-01-2017 at 07:58 AM.

October was a good month for Penn State women's hockey. Hannah Ehresmann and Daniela Paniccia each earned Goalie of the Week honors, and Natalie Heising has been named the CHA Rookie of the Month:

http://chawomenshockey.com/news/2017...ly-awards.aspx

Do you know if the games will be streamed free again Zed? The Mercyhurst preview says a subscription is needed. I assumed PSU streamed all the games free, but maybe that is not the case.

Do you know if the games will be streamed free again Zed? The Mercyhurst preview says a subscription is needed. I assumed PSU streamed all the games free, but maybe that is not the case.
    No, you have to have a BTN Plus account to watch video of this series. I don't know why some games have free video and some you have to pay for. I guess you're going to have to come out for the games!

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I guess you're going to have to come out for the games!
    Haha! You know, one day I hope to make it out there. Definitely for the frozen four when you host in 2022, but I hope that won’t be the first time.

Thanks for the info re the stream. Some free games are better than none, and if I will look into subscribing for one game.

Haha! You know, one day I hope to make it out there. Definitely for the frozen four when you host in 2022, but I hope that won’t be the first time.

Thanks for the info re the stream. Some free games are better than none, and if I will look into subscribing for one game.
    I had a cow bell with your name on it if you were coming to this weekend's series, but it only rings for Penn State, so you probably wouldn't have liked it anyway. I guess I'll have to work two bells or let my hockey buddy abuse one of them.

You'll like the 2022 Frozen Four when Penn State hosts it at Pegula Ice Arena, since Penn State will be playing for a national title then - come cheer a CHA and national champ!

Natalie Heising looks like she is having a very good freshman year so far!

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    Natalie Heising looks like she is having a very good freshman year so far!
    Natalie Heising has worked hard in every game that I've seen (as have all the freshmen), and it's great to see the hard work starting to pay off for her, but the whole team works very hard for the entire 60 minutes, and looks like they could go another round or two when it's over.

For anyone coming to today's game at Pegula Ice Arena, parking will probably be an issue at the Pegula lot since it's a school day and university staff uses part of the lot.

However, parking is free across the street at the Beaver Stadium West lot. Enter the lot at the street light on Park Avenue behind the stadium (it has a blue street sign on the light that says "Beaver Stadium West"), go straight into the parking lot and go all the way back, then turn right and go all the way down, and you'll be right across the street from Pegula Ice Arena.

As for watching the games on-line, the Mercy site says you need a subscription to BTN plus, while the Penn State Womens' site in indicates it is free via Game Tracker 'Lionvision'. So which is it or both ???

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot willy View Post
    As for watching the games on-line, the Mercy site says you need a subscription to BTN plus, while the Penn State Womens' site in indicates it is free via Game Tracker 'Lionvision'. So which is it or both ???
    It looks to me like it has all the earmarks of free. For example, tomorrow's men's game has a separate listing for "Listen" and "Watch". Both say free next to them just like the women's does for today. Usually the athletic department won't bother to write free next to it if it isn't free.
    Good luck, folks, I hope you get to enjoy some free hockey streams!

Also, when you go on the BTN plus site, there is not a Mercy-Penn womens hockey game anywhere to be found on the schedule unless I'm missing something. ?

The official Penn State site said yesterday that video streaming would require a subscription to BTN Plus, but today it's changed to free, so I guess there will be free video after all.

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot willy View Post
    Also, when you go on the BTN plus site, there is not a Mercy-Penn womens hockey game anywhere to be found on the schedule unless I'm missing something. ?
    These games are offered by College Sports Live. Ohio State uses that as well. That is different than BTN+. Devalues the Big Ten conference package, but if they offer it for free...........

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    The official Penn State site said yesterday that video streaming would require a subscription to BTN Plus, but today it's changed to free, so I guess there will be free video after all.
    Awesome!

Mercyhurst showed up to play and beat Penn State 3-1. Penn State looked flat, disjointed, whatever the word for it is. Plenty of individual efforts scattered in there, but teamwise they didn't connect on anything. Too many errant passes, too much time deciding what to do with the puck (or bad decisions with it), no power play, no consistency, etc. Congrats to Mercyhurst - they earned this win.

Here's a link to the free streaming video for today's game against Mercyhurst at 2:00 (Eastern):

http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesp.../?media=564839

Penn State and Mercyhurst skate to a 1-1 OT tie, Penn State's sixth overtime game of their twelve games played so far. As with the Robert Morris game, Penn State had the lead deep into the third period before giving up the tying goal. Sophomore goalie Daniela Paniccia was an absolute rock star today, and the only goal she gave up wasn't on her at all.

This game was much more fun to watch than yesterday, with Mercyhurst coming to battle again and Penn State battling with them this time. It's good to see Penn State starting to generate more offense as the season progresses, and that's going to improve as the younger players start to develop some chemistry with their linemates. There is a lot of really good individual offensive play right now, but that needs to develop into a group effort, and it will with some time.

Congrats to Mercyhurst on the win yesterday, and a really good hard-played game today.

Penn State prepares this week for the start of an extended series of road games that won't see them play again at home until January 19. Opponents on this stretch of the schedule include CHA conference rivals Syracuse, RIT, and Lindenwood. Non-conference opponents include Cornell and a very good Ohio State, and Penn State will also join UConn, Quinnipiac, and Yale in the Nutmeg Classic. First up is Syracuse this weekend (Friday and Saturday) - Syracuse has played for the CHA title the past two seasons and is always a tough and physical series.

The report card from the stands so far is good. Fans are very happy to have Jeff Kampersal on the bench for Penn State, and the changes he's already made are obvious to anyone who has watched this program in the past. Aside from teaching an all-new aggressive end-to-end "full court press" style and a new direction, he's had to unteach a lot of bad coaching, and it's made for some fun hockey to watch. Nobody was expecting miracles in this first season under Kampersal, but I don't think anyone expected as many positive changes as he's made thus far, either, or for the players to respond to it with so much energy and drive.

I hope Penn State doesn't go into any of these away games with a chip on their shoulder - I hope they go with a chip on each shoulder.

Thread Information