Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I wasn't able to make it to today's game, so I can't comment on it without it just being a recap of the box score.

I'm glad you like the arena - it sure beats what they were stuck playing in until Pegula Ice Arena was finished. That old place was a dungeon.
    But the reactor next door kept the rink warm!

Is Greenburg still there??

Today's game. Your #20 is going to be one heck of a player.

Clarkson's first goal saw Pejzlova get inside position on the D, take a pass in stride from Gabel, and after a couple of dekes, slid the puck into the open side.

Goal #2 was hard work by Gabel and Vinkle with Gabel banging home the goal after a whack or two at a loose puck.

You really never threatened in the first two periods. You had a couple of good looks in the 3rd, but Tiley and the defense was there to prevent any damage.
    Last edited by joecct; 10-14-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Re: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    But the reactor next door kept the rink warm!

Is Greenburg still there??

Today's game. Your #20 is going to be one heck of a player.

Clarkson's first goal saw Pejzlova get inside position on the D, take a pass in stride from Gabel, and after a couple of dekes, slid the puck into the open side.

Goal #2 was hard work by Gabel and Vinkle with Gabel banging home the goal after a whack or two at a loose puck.

You really never threatened in the first two periods. You had a couple of good looks in the 3rd, but Tiley and the defense was there to prevent any damage.
    Thanks for that game recap. From what I've read it sounded like a very physical game, and Kampersal said afterwards that he thought both teams probably could've gotten called for even more penalties. It didn't sound like dirty or chippy hockey - just good hard battling. The shot count was embarrassing, though - one shot in the first period, four in the second? That's got to change.

The former Greenberg Ice Pavilion is now the Morgan Academic Support Center for Student-Athletes - they did a really great job reusing that building: http://morgancenter.psu.edu/

I like the play of #19, freshman Katie Rankin. She skates hard and plays hard, and she's going to be a good one, too. There's a lot of good young talent on this team that just needs time with a new coaching staff and its changes. These kinds of games against top-level teams like Clarkson are a good way for Kampersal and his staff to get a feel for where they are and what they need to work on. It's too early to tell where they'll be in March, but they're (finally) definitely not the same old Penn State team that everyone has gotten used to.

Penn State drops game one to Merrimack in OT, 2-1. Each team scored a power play goal, with Merrimack's coming in OT. Penn State led the shot count 21-20. Penn State freshman Natalie Heising scored her first collegiate goal for Penn State.

Penn State beats Merrimack 4-3 in OT to split the series on the road. Freshman Katie Rankin got the game winner in OT, and the other three goals came from freshman Natalie Heising, junior Kelsey Crow, and senior captain Bella Sutton. Merrimack led the shots 32-31. It was senior goalie Hannah Ehresmann's first game back after being injured October 6 in the game against Union.

Penn State opens conference play against Robert Morris October 28-29 at Pegula Ice Arena.
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-21-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Penn State has a big test this weekend as they start their CHA conference play against Robert Morris, a team that currently sits at 5-1. Hopefully, the same end-to-end smothering hockey that Penn State played at UMD will be the game they play this weekend.

It will absolutely be a very physical series, and Penn State will do itself a favor by staying out of the penalty box. One interesting stat that could work out in Penn State's favor is that Robert Morris is averaging almost twice as many penalty minutes per game as Penn State (11 vs 6). If Penn State can play with disciplined aggression, and let Robert Morris build on their 11-penalty-minutes-per-game average, a hard working power play can pay off - the more, the merrier. But Penn State is going to have to blast a lot of pucks at Robert Morris goalie Elijah Milne-Price, who has a 0.54 GAA and a .972 save percentage. Penn State is averaging 1.12 goals per game - that's not going to beat Robert Morris, who is averaging 4.33 goals per game.

This will be the most physical series (and probably a bit chippy, too) that Penn State has played so far this season, but if they can keep their cool and stay out of the box, and make Robert Morris play penalty kill hockey again and again, they could surprise a lot of people.

Penn State has a big test this weekend as they start their CHA conference play against Robert Morris, a team that currently sits at 5-1. Hopefully, the same end-to-end smothering hockey that Penn State played at UMD will be the game they play this weekend.

It will absolutely be a very physical series, and Penn State will do itself a favor by staying out of the penalty box. One interesting stat that could work out in Penn State's favor is that Robert Morris is averaging almost twice as many penalty minutes per game as Penn State (11 vs 6). If Penn State can play with disciplined aggression, and let Robert Morris build on their 11-penalty-minutes-per-game average, a hard working power play can pay off - the more, the merrier. But Penn State is going to have to blast a lot of pucks at Robert Morris goalie Elijah Milne-Price, who has a 0.54 GAA and a .972 save percentage. Penn State is averaging 1.12 goals per game - that's not going to beat Robert Morris, who is averaging 4.33 goals per game.

This will be the most physical series (and probably a bit chippy, too) that Penn State has played so far this season, but if they can keep their cool and stay out of the box, and make Robert Morris play penalty kill hockey again and again, they could surprise a lot of people.
    PSU will need to work on their PP if they expect odd man situations to be a difference maker. They will need to get more players driving to the slot than they've had against UMD, Clarkson, and Merrimack. I see this being the big difference so far this season. They've improved their D Zone and Neutral Zone play, but aren't getting nearly enough pucks or traffic to the crease.

Itís probably a big Ďifí but if a team can stop that top line of Gebhard, Rennie, and Howard a team can probably beat the Colonials. The first line has 16 of 26 goals, and the team put up 11 against Brown in one game which inflates the team goals per game.

Youíve indicated before that PSU has a good goalie (or a bunch) so you guys may have a decent shot at beating RMU. I agree with the previous poster on the offense though. Gotta get that going.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeSkates View Post
    ...need to get more players driving to the slot than they've had against UMD, Clarkson, and Merrimack. I see this being the big difference so far this season. They've improved their D Zone and Neutral Zone play, but aren't getting nearly enough pucks or traffic to the crease.
    Penn State does look much improved defensively, especially in not just giving away the neutral zone as easily as they have for so long. They look much more eager to grind and battle for pucks, but I agree that they really need to get aggressive in front of the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    It’s probably a big ‘if’ but if a team can stop that top line of Gebhard, Rennie, and Howard a team can probably beat the Colonials.
    Absolutely - if Penn State can keep that Brittany Howard line in check, I don't see them having a problem keeping up with the rest of Robert Morris. It will be interesting to see who Jeff Kampersal assigns to keep Howard on a short leash.

You’ve indicated before that PSU has a good goalie (or a bunch) so you guys may have a decent shot at beating RMU. I agree with the previous poster on the offense though. Gotta get that going.
    Senior goalie Hannah Ehresmann and sophomore goalie Daniela Paniccia are both solid between the pipes, and whoever plays will get tested often. They're going to have to be at the top of their game to counter the infrequent offense at the other end of the rink. I'm hoping to see a lot more shot blocking from players, as that seems to have dropped off a bit.

Penn State is going to need a very strong defensive game, specifically against the Brittany Howard line, but also be in an aggressive offensive mindset for when the Howard line isn't on the ice. I know Kampersal is eager to get this team to where he wants them, but it looks like he's doing things a step at a time, with defense and more aggressive end-to-end play being at the top of the list, and they're already doing that. I think a stronger offense is just a matter of time.

It's game day, as Penn State takes on #10 Robert Morris at 2:00 at Pegula Ice Arena. This is Penn State's fifth series of the season, with three of the five series being against a top-ten opponent (including defending national champions Clarkson).

Both games (today and tomorrow) are at 2:00 Eastern Time, and both are being streamed live and free here: http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesp.../?media=563894

Penn State and #10 Robert Morris skate to a 3-3 OT tie. Penn State had the 3-2 lead with 1:37 left in the game when Robert Morris tied it up. Penn State outshot Robert Morris 31-28, and held scoring leader Brittany Howard to a single assist in the game, coming on the third goal with 1:37 left in regulation. Penn State was penalized five times, and Robert Morris four times.

Penn State played a very solid end-to-end game against some very talented Robert Morris skaters. Senior goalie Hannah Ehresmann stood on her head once again and had some highlight reel saves, and kept Penn State in the game. The freshmen on this Penn State team continue to impress, and this aggressive end-to-end style is paying dividends for Penn State. They put together a lot of offensive chances, which was good to see.

This team is really showing the changes that Jeff Kampersal has made in their style of hockey. It's all go from the opening faceoff until the final horn, and it's a blast to watch.

The teams that do the free streaming are awesome. It is so nice to be able to watch a bit of hockey for free, and makes it easier to be a fan of the game. Now PSU, take that next step and post the highlights, like your fellow Big 10 schools do.

Nice job in the tie against RMU. Not sure who I was rooting for, if anyone. I THINK I didnít want RMU to dominate, because as a hurst fan I donít like RMU being regarded as the class of the CHA, although I acknowledge theyíve earned it. At the same time, when PSU comes out and plays well, I see we may have another challenge on our hands!

The Howard line was held to one goal, which had to be an important part of PSUís game plan. I watched a few minutes in the first and RMU was dominating the play and shots. But, final shots were in favor of PSU so either PSU stepped it up, or RMU took their foot off the gas. RMU seems a bit inconsistent within Series this year- the split with Maine, needing OT against MSU, then trouncing them, the very different Brown games. What RMU team will play tomorrow?

Regarding PSU, I see the freshman Minnesotan/ USA U-18 member Heising had a two point game and currently leads PSU in points. Good for her.

Tomorrow will be an exciting rematch.

Penn State and #10 Robert Morris skate to a 3-3 OT tie. Penn State had the 3-2 lead with 1:37 left in the game when Robert Morris tied it up. .
    We cross posted. Wow! Didnít realize PSU had the lead late in the game. That makes the tie less satisfying, maybe? Still a step in the right direction by the team.

We cross posted. Wow! Didn’t realize PSU had the lead late in the game. That makes the tie less satisfying, maybe? Still a step in the right direction by the team.
    Very much less satisfying, especially with how the tying goal was achieved. What should have been an easy clearing of the Penn State zone instead turned into taking too long to just flip the puck out, and Robert Morris jumped on it and kept it in and went in for the tying goal. As you said, though, definitely a step in the right direction.

A huge improvement is the determination and effort to keep the puck in the offensive zone, especially at the blue line - in the past, they seemed to start backpedaling as soon as the other team touched the puck. Now, they fight for every puck and they stand their ground at the blue line. That's how it always should've been. This Jeff Kampersal team is all over whoever has the puck, and it's so much better hockey. Offense is what was missing so far this season, but today they generated a lot of good chances.

The teams that do the free streaming are awesome. It is so nice to be able to watch a bit of hockey for free, and makes it easier to be a fan of the game. Now PSU, take that next step and post the highlights, like your fellow Big 10 schools do.
    Today's rematch with Robert Morris (2:00 Eastern) is another free stream: http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesp.../?media=563908

It's also the annual THON game, so Penn State will be wearing "For The Kids" jerseys.

I agree with you about game highlight videos - you'd think those would be pretty automatic, but not at Penn State. I'd like to see post-game player interviews, too, but you never see that, either. They have a YouTube channel that they used to know how to use, but whoever ran that must have left the building. They need to bring back the girl who was doing all the videos in the 2014-15 season - she was creative and made some really good stuff.

Posted a comment but it didnít work. The gist of it was that I bet the YouTube account will get active again soon enough. Probably takes a passionate fan with the time and talent volunteering, or the head coach or director of hockey ops saying itís something they want. If itís something provided by the School communications department, you have to hope they assign someone who actually cares and knows womenís hockey. Fingers crossed...

In the meantime you keep doing your thing on the board, Zed.

Penn State and #10 Robert Morris skate to another OT tie (2-2 score today) to finish the series with two OT ties. Robert Morris scoring leader Brittany Howard was held scoreless today after getting just a single assist in yesterday's game. Robert Morris was penalized four times, and Penn State was penalized three times, with Robert Morris getting the only power play goal. Penn State again led the shots, 26-22 today (I think that was the final count). This was Penn State's fourth overtime game in a row.

Penn State is a whole new team - there's no doubt about that. They play an entirely different (and much better) style of hockey, much quicker, much more aggressive, tighter defense, and it starts right from the opening face-off and doesn't stop until the final horn. Every week shows a little more improvement, a little more settling in to this more aggressive style, and it's a lot more fun to watch. There does need to be some work on players being quicker (and smarter) with making decisions with the puck, and moving it with some heat, but a lot of that has been corrected. They worked their tails off this weekend and gave fans a great series to cheer for.

They were supposed to get swept this weekend, and pretty handily - two OT ties against #10 Robert Morris feels like a Penn State sweep.

Hey, nice series! RMU has highlights up of both games if you havenít already seen. Mercyhurst next Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon. Should be great.

Hey, nice series! RMU has highlights up of both games if you haven’t already seen. Mercyhurst next Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon. Should be great.
    Thanks for the head's up on highlight videos. Now it's your Lakers coming to Pegula Ice Arena next weekend, and I have to admit that I know next to nothing about this year's Mercyhurst team (my laziness to blame). How do you see them matching up with Penn State next weekend? That always seems to be the series that Penn State really wants to win, and when they swept Mercyhurst in December of 2014 you'd have thought they won the national title - it was that big a deal to that Penn State team. Of course, both teams are completely different now, and since I don't know this year's Mercyhurst I can't really comment on next weekend, but I do have to say that this Penn State team is unlike any Penn State team the rest of the conference has played in the past five years.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

They were supposed to get swept this weekend, and pretty handily - two OT ties against #10 Robert Morris feels like a Penn State sweep.
    The complaint I'd have with Penn State this weekend was that once they took a lead, they'd start playing not to lose. Good thinks are less likely to happen when a team goes into a shell and play stays in its D zone. Other than that, the future looks much brighter.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

How do you see them matching up with Penn State next weekend? That always seems to be the series that Penn State really wants to win, .
    I think theyíll match up similar to last year. Both teams gained and lost talent in their skaters. Both teams have similar goaltending situation as last year. Because itís in conference, any difference in skill, to the extent that one exists, is minimized because itís in conference and everyone gets up for in conference.

I said before that so far this years Lakers look like last yearís Lakers, for better or worse. I didnít realize just how true that is. The Lakers are entering PSU weekend with the same 1-6-1 record as they did last year. Last 3 games were their best three though. Iím not sure if the Lakers lose their Finns to the Four Nations Cup at all, and if they do does it affect next weekend or just the following weekend.

Astute comment by ARM. Last year PSU jumped out to a 3-0 and 2-0 lead against the Lakers in the first series. Lakers came back to win one game, and lost the other in OT.

Thread Information