Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

Re: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

#5 UMD takes game one - barely - 1-0. Penn State looked like a whole new team and gave nothing up to UMD. Shots were 22-21 in UMD's favor, and Penn State in previous years would've been lucky to hit double digits, so that's a big change. Penn State was aggressive on the forecheck, aggressive in the neutral zone, and aggressive on the boards. Jeff Kampersal has done a lot of work in a very short time and, at least tonight, Penn State looks like a team that better be taken more seriously than they have been. So much for a UMD out-of-conference cupcake win - they're lucky to come out of it on top.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    This looks like a completely different Penn State team. They don't automatically back-pedal on defense and just give up the neutral zone anymore, they play a forecheck aggressively, and they shoot a lot more than usual. You can see a definite change with Jeff Kampersal and his staff behind the bench.
    That's what happens when you go from a completely unqualified and inexperienced joke behind the bench to a highly qualified and very experienced real head coach. Not a surprise at all.

First period is over with no score at UMD. UMD leads the shot count by 12-2. Penn State looks just like they did in yesterday's first period - smothering and aggressive but not getting anything going offensively. UMD has had some good chances but Hannah Ehresmann is looking good between the pipes.We'll see what adjustments Jeff Kampersal makes between periods, but so far Penn State is looking good against the #5 Bulldogs.

Second period is in the books and still no score against UMD. The second period was all UMD - they lead in shots now 31-5. Hannah Ehresmann is standing on her head, keeping Penn State in it, and UMD was in the Penn State zone for most of that period. There haven't been any penalties so far, and no real clean offensive plays set up...just a lot of throwing the puck at the net and crashing in. Penn State is getting beat to the puck and beat in battles against the boards, but they're not letting UMD set anything up. Penn State is a lot more aggressive defensively than they've ever been, and that's a good sign.

UMD finally wore down Penn State in the third and took the win 3-0. All in all a very good showing by Penn State against the #5 team in the country. UMD led the shots on goal by 38-12 and that's a good indication of how the game went. Very sporadic offense from Penn State, and UMD jumping on every opportunity. It's hard to judge anything when they're playing a #5 team in a season-opening series, and playing a strong defensive game in Duluth was going to be necessary, but Penn State looks very good under Jeff Kampersal, much more aggressive. Looking forward to the season, for sure!

I would agree PSU looked as if they were playing with a purpose. UMD had better skaters, and had the edge for sure in O-Zone cycling of the puck. It will be interesting to see how the team does in conference play.

Senior goalie Hannah Ehresmann was named the CHA Goalie of the Week for her work against #5 Minnesota-Duluth this weekend:

http://chawomenshockey.com/news/2017...f-2017-18.aspx

From this week's Wednesday Women:

"A handicap that hockey needs to overcome to gain popularity is that the personalities of its student-athletes are mostly hidden beneath protective equipment. Other sports such as auto racing enjoy immense popularity in spite of that, but it does make the media exposure more crucial."
    I'm going to rant for a little bit...

I agree completely that media exposure is lacking, and in more than just a "mid-week article between games" kind of way, at least at Penn State. I don't know how Penn State expects to generate any new interest in women's hockey when they do nothing but report on game results on game weekends on the school's official website. Other than that, all I ever see from them are a few tame blips on Twitter or Instagram, and usually amounting to the usual "It's game day" or "Player Whoever is doing the team Snapchats this weekend". That's it.

You look at the team YouTube page and the latest video is from last season, interviewing an interim coach. We got a new coach, a long-awaited fresh start, and they couldn't use that to put out some creative promotional videos over the off-season? How about someone doing postgame interviews beyond the bland presser? Interview players, away from the presser? How about regular game highlight videos, postgame interviews, etc, including away games that apparently nobody from Penn State staff bothers to attend? Penn State can't have one more person hitch a ride on the team bus, with a video camera, for away games?

A couple seasons ago there was a young lady (I assume a video student) doing all kinds of funny videos and some really good promotional videos with the team, and I thought it was great. She must have graduated, because the creativity disappeared in a flash. She gave fans a chance to get to know the players without their helmets and pads on - they were more than a numbered jersey on the ice. Now, in probably the most exciting season since the program's inaugural season, they're just numbered jerseys on the ice again and some names and numbers on a stat sheet. That's what the point is: let fans and potential fans get to know the players, and the players get to know the fans who are cheering them on (and pumping money into the program). The initial SID the first couple years did things like video interviews with incoming new players at the start of a season, which was great. Now? Nothing.

More articles, a lot more player and coach interviews (on video), more videos off the ice, more (and regular) game highlight videos/interviews from both home and away games, press releases to the local rag newspaper and the much better campus newspaper...I'm not a PR guy, but these are some ideas off the top of my head. I know the more established programs around the country don't fill as many seats as they should, either. Who does anything about it? I know Wisconsin practically gives tickets away to jam their arena at least once a season (can't remember if it's for a specific series or what), but why not try that at least once a season? Let newcomers get a first taste of women's hockey on the school's dime, and maybe they'll come back for more on a paid ticket.

I'm talking about more than game-related articles and interviews (but more of those would be nice at Penn State, too). I guess it's a psychology thing, but I think if people knew the players and their personalities without their pads and helmets on, they feel more connected to a team and want to come see them play hockey. We had that for a couple seasons with the video student who did so much good work with the team, and it made it even more fun to be a fan.

End of rant - carry on.

Penn State takes game one against Union by a score of 3-1. Penn State led the shots on goal 37-16. Starting senior goalie Hannah Ehresmann was injured at the end of the second period, and sophomore goalie Daniela Paniccia was between the pipes for the third period.

Penn State came out of the weekend against Union with a win and a tie, but it's hard to know what to think, because they looked like a different team than the one who played at Minnesota-Duluth last weekend. Against UMD, Penn State played a smothering game from one end of the ice to the other for 60 minutes, with an aggressive forecheck and battling on the boards. Against Union, especially in game two, that smothering pressure from the UMD series wasn't there.

Offensively, a problem they're going to have to solve is how to be much more decisive with the puck, especially when breaking out of their own zone. Right now, it takes way too long and way too much thinking. Another thing they really need to work on is putting a lot more steam behind the passing. Get those kinks worked out and they're already looking better.

Defensively, they looked good against UMD. That kind of smothering defense, end to end, kept UMD in check for much of the weekend. They battled for pucks along the boards, they stood their ground in the neutral zone, and they battled in their own zone. They have that aggressive defensive game - they just need to make it a consistent part of their game. Kampersal pointed out his dissatisfaction with special teams, so I'm sure that will get worked on, too.

Two series into the season, it's too early to judge this team, of course, because Jeff Kampersal has had hardly any time to teach the team all new systems and an all new style coming from an all new head coach. They do already look like a different team, in a good way. The freshman looked very good against Union, too - very quick to the puck, very eager to test the opposing goalie, and not the least bit intimidated by D-1 hockey. All in all, Penn State looks like a better team under Jeff Kampersal and his staff - time and familiarity will build them up even more.

Will be coming up for the Saturday Clarkson game. Is parking an issue and where is the best place to park?

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Will be coming up for the Saturday Clarkson game. Is parking an issue and where is the best place to park?
    Parking won't be an issue for that game since there aren't any other sports events going on at the same time. You can park right at Pegula's parking lot, but I would show up early as it does tend to fill up.

If you're ever coming to a hockey game and they use the Pegula lot for some other sports event and turn you away, parking is at the Beaver Stadium lot right across the street (diagonally).

Penn State sophomore goalie Daniela Paniccia was named the CHA Goalie of the Week for her work against Union, recording a 0.71 goals against average and a 0.960 save percentage. Paniccia took over for senior starting goalie Hannah Ehresmann in Friday's game, after Ehresmann was injured at the end of the second period, and played all of Saturday's game. This marks the second consecutive week a Penn State goalie has been named Goalie of the Week after Ehresmann earned the award last week. This is Pannicia's fourth career CHA Goalie of the Week award.

Penn State is in very good shape for goalies. Ehresmann is solid, and Paniccia will start for the next two seasons after Ehresmann graduates at the end of this season. Behind Pannicia this season are two freshman goalies, Chantal Burke and Cameron Leonard. Leonard is a four-time attendee at the USA Hockey National Player Developmental Camp (2013-16), and attended the USA Hockey Goalie Development Camp in 2015 and 2016, and has chosen to redshirt for the 2017-18 season.

Where is a couple of good places to eat Lunch or dinner. My wife and I will be there in our finest Green and Gold for Both games this weekend.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014 & 2017 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    Where is a couple of good places to eat Lunch or dinner. My wife and I will be there in our finest Green and Gold for Both games this weekend.
    TripAdvisor could do a lot better answering that than I could: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...nsylvania.html

State College is a typical college town - downtown has lots of places to eat (and grab a cold one if you're into that), and downtown isn't very big. Start around the intersection of College Avenue and Allen Street and you're already within a block or two of a bunch of restaurants.

If you head up North Atherton Street, you'll find more, and a lot of fast-food places up that way, too.

I hope someone who's been downtown and eaten there will chime in with some good recommendations.
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-12-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Making America Troll Again

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    #5 UMD takes game one - barely - 1-0. Penn State looked like a whole new team and gave nothing up to UMD.
    you do know that UMD is also a whole new team, right?

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    you do know that UMD is also a whole new team, right?
    Not too new to be ranked #5 when Penn State played them.

Defending national champion Clarkson takes game one at Penn State by a score of 2-0. Just as head coach Jeff Kampersal said after last weekend, special teams really need improvement, but Penn State did a good job of not giving Clarkson much room to work for most of the game. Shots were 23-18 in favor of Clarkson, but the shot count was a lot closer throughout the game. It was a much improved effort compared to last week against Union, and Penn State seems at their best when they play this aggressive "full court press" style of hockey.

Zed

Nice barn. I'm in 110 row N

I wasn't able to make it to today's game, so I can't comment on it without it just being a recap of the box score.

I'm glad you like the arena - it sure beats what they were stuck playing in until Pegula Ice Arena was finished. That old place was a dungeon.

Thread Information