Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

Re: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Princeton has five players from Minnesota, including its two top scorers. Kampersal in particular liked players from Blake. I don't expect PSU to abandon Minnesota entirely under him.
    or did players from Blake like Princeton?
    I doubt those two in particular would have gone to Penn State, nor perhaps the others as well
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    I have to think PSU is thinking sweep, this weekend. They want to crack the top three in the league, or at least distance themselves from the bottom 2 as much as possible.
    Penn State needs to get that first conference win, for sure, and you're right about a sweep - this is as good a chance as they've had for getting one. I'd really love to see their offense explode in a big way this weekend. Mercyhurst and Syracuse will likely battle it out for the #2 spot at the end of the regular season, but Penn State would do itself a favor by getting into the mix, too, and finishing #3 and facing #6 in the CHA tournament's first round. There's a lot of hockey to play yet, though.

As for the roster discussion above, I see PSU is the most American roster in the CHA. I wonder if the prior coach didn’t recruit Canada, or if alternatively, American kids shy away from the other CHA schools in favor of PSU.
    The prior coach built himself a less-than-stellar reputation (understatement) that likely affected recruiting, but I don't know how that would affect Canadian prospects. I hope that changes now that he's gone, because the program already looks a lot better under Jeff Kampersal and his staff.

Good luck to your Lakers this weekend. It feels funny to root for Mercyhurst, but taking down Robert Morris would be fun to see!

After two periods, Penn State is leading RIT 1-0 on a goal from freshman Natalie Heising. Penn State also leads 21-10 in shots on goal. RIT has been called for two penalties and Penn State for one - everything else is pretty even.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

Good luck to your Lakers this weekend. It feels funny to root for Mercyhurst, but taking down Robert Morris would be fun to see!
    Thanks, yes a little plot twist in the CHA season would be fun. 😄

After two periods, Penn State is leading RIT 1-0 on a goal from freshman Natalie Heising. Penn State also leads 21-10 in shots on goal. RIT has been called for two penalties and Penn State for one - everything else is pretty even.
    2-0 now....will they close them out? Big period for Penn State.

3-0 now after Natalie Heising's second of the game.

4-0 now - Penn State sounds good (on the radio feed, anyway). RIT has changed goalies.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    or did players from Blake like Princeton?
    I'm sure that is an even bigger factor, but it is likely less relevant to Penn State fans.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Penn State finishes with a 5-0 win over RIT for their first conference win. Senior Christi Vetter scored two goals, freshman Natalie Heising scored two goals, and freshman Sophie Slattery scored a goal. Penn State ended leading the shots on goal 36-15, and 62-39 in shot attempts. Only four penalties for the game, three against RIT, so Penn State did stay disciplined today. The first period was even, the second was pretty even, but the third period was all Penn State. It's good to see them get the scoring going, and grab that first conference win and two badly needed points.

Post-game comments from RIT head coach Scott McDonald were predictably unenthusiastic:

"Well, at least it's over"
    "Pathetic"
    "Embarrassing"
    "We had nothing"
    "These players don't respond to criticism between periods"
    "Left the goalies out to dry"
    "We'll be fresh for tomorrow's game, because we sure didn't work hard today"
    "Penalty kill was successful, so maybe we should play the whole game shorthanded, with the same four players"

Post-game comments from RIT head coach Scott McDonald were predictably unenthusiastic:

"Well, at least it's over"
    "Pathetic"
    "Embarrassing"
    "We had nothing"
    "These players don't respond to criticism between periods"
    "Left the goalies out to dry"
    "We'll be fresh for tomorrow's game, because we sure didn't work hard today"
    "Penalty kill was successful, so maybe we should play the whole game shorthanded, with the same four players"
    Proving for the millionth time what a classless person he truly is. But anyone that has ever talked with him already knows that. We are all laughing at him and his typical stupid comments....always blaming the players....even though he recruited them!! Complete idiot. When does his contract expire?!?! Did I hear someone say, "Not soon enough."??? Yes, his whole team!
    Last edited by shelfit; 12-01-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Proving for the millionth time what a classless person he truly is. But anyone that has ever talked with him already knows that. We are all laughing at him and his typical stupid comments....always blaming the players....even though he recruited them!! Complete idiot. When does his contract expire?!?! Did I hear someone say, "Not soon enough."??? Yes, his whole team!
    Not what I would call a ringing endorsement, but please tell us how you really feel.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Not what I would call a ringing endorsement, but please tell us how you really feel.
    Lol, sorry. I've got to learn to stop sugar-coating my comments so much.
    Last edited by shelfit; 12-01-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Game two coming up in Rochester after Penn State's 5-0 shutout of RIT yesterday. We'll see what kind of intensity Penn State brings after a game like that, but they've been good this season with coming into game two as hard as they do with game one. A big takeaway from yesterday is Penn State finally getting the "first conference win" monkey off their backs, along with the "need more scoring" monkey, too. It would be great to see that kind of offensive output from them in this second game, and a sweep would send them into the holiday break on a high.

They posted the goals on instagram. They were scoring a lot of different ways - two rebounds, two shots from the circles and one from the slot. Has to feel good for the girls to have a night like that.

They posted the goals on instagram. They were scoring a lot of different ways - two rebounds, two shots from the circles and one from the slot. Has to feel good for the girls to have a night like that.
    I hope it motivates them to get in there and throw some quality shots at net. One change today - sophomore goalie Daniela Paniccia gets the start in net.

Penn State gets the sweep of RIT with a 2-0 shutout win today, with goals from sophomore Brooke Madsen and a power play goal by freshman Katie Rankin. This game was a lot closer than yesterday, and RIT came alive in the third period, but it wasn't enough to beat sophomore goalie Daniela Paniccia. RIT had a 6 on 4 for two minutes at the end of the third, pulling their goalie on a late Penn State penalty, but couldn't put one away. This was a great series for Penn State, and a great way to head into the holiday break.

Penn State has reached the holiday break in their 2017-18 schedule, and returns on January 5-6 for a pair of non-conference games on the road against Ohio State in Columbus. They go into the break sitting at 4-7-8, with ten OT games in the first half of the season.

They are currently third in the CHA, four points behind Robert Morris in first and one point behind Syracuse in second, but only one point ahead of Mercyhurst in fourth and two points ahead of Lindenwood in fifth. Nothing is settled in the CHA at the midway point of the season - Robert Morris has lost to Mercyhurst, and tied Penn State twice, and has yet to face Syracuse, so the top four teams still have a lot of fighting to do in the second half of the season.

Penn State's scoring leader at the break is freshman Natalie Heising, followed closely by sophomore Brooke Madsen. Madsen was an easy preseason pick to be an offensive leader for 2017-18, and Heising is also no surprise to be at the top with her U-18 national team experience. Behind them, eight other players have also recorded goals so far this season.

Head coach Jeff Kampersal's midpoint report card is a good one. Two-thirds of the team are sophomores and freshmen, and the whole team is new to him and he's new to them, but in a short time he's turned them into an aggressive team at both ends of the ice, for both games of a series. The intensity you see in game one is the intensity you're going to see in game two - that's a big change, and they run and gun until the final horn. That's also a big nod to strength and conditioning coach Kristina Jeffries.

Kampersal and his staff came into this program with a lot more to handle than on-ice performance, too, in the wake of the previous coach, and it looks like he and his staff have done that. You hear a lot of background noise in the stands when so many of the players' parents are attending games, and for five years there was rarely anything good being said. Not anymore, and it's a refreshing change, so kudos to Jeff Kampersal, Allison Coomey, and Celeste Brown for turning this program around, teaching them solid hockey, and treating players the right way.

Nice write up Zed. Syracuse and Mercyhurst play this weekend, which will affect the standings going into the break and may affect Penn State.

I looked up the conference points as they are now, compared to what they were last year at the break as well as end of year. The “now” data is eight conference games for all but Cuse and Hurst, who have only played six league games, and play each other this weekend. Each team plays twenty conference games.

Now/ Last year after 8 games / last year end
    RMU 12 , 15, 32
    Syracuse 9, 10, 30
    Penn State 8, 9, 18
    Hurst 7 , 6, 23
    Lindenwood 6, 5, 7
    RIT 2, 3, 10

As you said, nothing is settled. RMU not quite as dominant as last year. Mercyhurst is on pace for more points than last year. Syracuse has been quiet on the national scene, but has an opportunity to takeover first place in the CHA at the break if they can sweep this weekend. Alternatively, if Mercyhurst sweeps, they will be in second place, Syracuse third.

I thought something was going on with RIT and Lindenwood, one taking a step backward, the other forward, but their points look similar to what they looked like last year at this time. That still may be the case however, that one is rising and one falling.

Penn State is similar to last year as well at this time in the league picture. The big improvement at Penn State is all the overtimes. Last year six all year including non-conf. A step in the right direction and we’ll see when that evolves in to wins.

Something I am wondering about in the CHA is if the point spread across the top four teams will be tighter this year. Last year it was a 14 point difference between first and fourth, at the end of the year.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 12-04-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Syracuse and Mercyhurst play this weekend, which will affect the standings going into the break and may affect Penn State.
    As you said, nothing is settled. RMU not quite as dominant as last year. Mercyhurst is on pace for more points than last year. Syracuse has been quiet on the national scene, but has an opportunity to takeover first place in the CHA at the break if they can sweep this weekend. Alternatively, if Mercyhurst sweeps, they will be in second place, Syracuse third.
    You have to like being home for the series with Syracuse next weekend. That one is too close to call, as I think both teams are pretty evenly matched, but home ice is always good. A split would be good enough for Penn State fans, so nobody gets too far out of reach, but I'm pretty sure Mercyhurst won't care what Penn State fans want.

The big improvement at Penn State is all the overtimes. Last year six all year including non-conf. A step in the right direction and we’ll see when that evolves in to wins.
    All the overtimes and ties might not seem like a good sign to anyone who hasn't followed Penn State women's hockey, but most of those games would have been losses in previous years, so you're right about it being an improvement. All of those overtimes and ties are games that were one goal from being wins. I'm sure that sounds like stretching for a silver lining, but it's a positive step for this program to not be out at the final horn.

Something I am wondering about in the CHA is if the point spread across the top four teams will be tighter this year. Last year it was a 14 point difference between first and fourth, at the end of the year.
    I hope it's a tighter race - that's a lot more fun to watch. Then again, a regular season title doesn't mean a whole lot when everyone gets into the one-and-done conference tournament in the end. You only need to look as far as RIT to see how that can shake out. I'd rather see a conference tournament with just the top four teams each playing a regular two-game semifinal series (with a third game if necessary), and then a final championship game the following weekend with the two semifinal winners. I'm not crazy about the new "everything in Buffalo" setup, either. I like the idea of earning home ice advantage, and a school having the chance to host a tournament series.

Thread Information