Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

What's the NCAA record for most ties in a season? Whatever it is, Penn State might have a chance of breaking that record at the rate they're going.

Re: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    What's the NCAA record for most ties in a season? Whatever it is, Penn State might have a chance of breaking that record at the rate they're going.
    It's no wonder Jeff Kampersal is bald - that would drive me insane. The bright side is that a ranked Robert Morris couldn't beat Penn State in two games, and a ranked Cornell couldn't beat them today, and both had to come from behind late in the third period just to tie Penn State. That's got to count for something, frustrating as it must be for the players and coaches. This Penn State team has grit, that's for sure.

Penn State plays in its first ever Nutmeg Classic tournament this weekend in Storrs, Connecticut, and since I've never heard of the tournament I went looking for information - here's what I found, if anyone else is interested:

The Nutmeg Classic began in 2004-05 as a tournament featuring three of the women’s hockey teams in Connecticut (the Nutmeg State) - UConn, Yale, and Quinnipiac. It now also includes a fourth team which is invited to the tournament.

In addition to crowning a team champion, the tournament also includes two individual awards: the Most Valuable Player Award, and the Laurie Belliveau Award for the top goaltender. Also, at the end of the tournament, an all-tournament team is named.

There's a pretty nice-looking piece of hardware for the winning team: https://twitter.com/MerrimackWIH/sta...91205687492610

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Penn State plays in its first ever Nutmeg Classic tournament this weekend in Storrs, Connecticut, and since I've never heard of the tournament I went looking for information - here's what I found, if anyone else is interested:

The Nutmeg Classic began in 2004-05 as a tournament featuring three of the womenís hockey teams in Connecticut (the Nutmeg State) - UConn, Yale, and Quinnipiac. It now also includes a fourth team which is invited to the tournament.
    Pretty balanced field for this tourney. Quinnipiac, which has won the most titles, is the likely favorite, but not an overwhelming one. BC has had trouble putting UConn away in Storrs, so the Huskies could be tough on home ice, Penn St's tie with Cornell suggests that the Nittany Lions will be right there, and as for Yale, I don't have much of a handle on the Bulldogs, but they've played fewer games. It should be good hockey.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Penn State and UConn skate to a 1-1 OT tie at the Nutmeg Classic tournament, Penn State's third OT tie in a row, seventh tie overall, and ninth OT game in sixteen games this season. UConn gets the win by shootout, scoring twice to Penn State's lone shootout goal by freshman Natalie Heising. Sophomore defender Katie McMillan scored the Penn State goal in regulation, her first goal of the season. Penn State outshot UConn 27-24. There were only four penalties in the game, but Penn State got three of them.

Yale and Quinnipiac also skated to an OT tie in their tournament game, with Quinnipiac taking the win in a shootout, so Penn State will play Yale tomorrow in the consolation game at 3:00.

Penn State and Yale skate to a 2-2 OT tie (yes, another OT tie, fourth in a row, eighth tie, and tenth OT game this season) in the consolation game of the Nutmeg Classic tournament. Bella Sutton and Natalie Heising scored for Penn State.

In the OT period, Penn State's Kate Rydland and Yale's Emma Vlasic both got 10-minute game misconducts and disqualifications for roughing with 12 seconds left in OT. Naturally, the game wasn't on video, so we don't get to see what happened with that one, but I sure would've liked to see it. It's the first 10-minute game misconduct in Penn State's D-1 history.

Penn State led the shot count 38-18, which is quite a step up for Penn State's offense. Next weekend is at RIT before Penn State goes on holiday break.

It sure would've been nice to have video coverage of the consolation game at the Nutmeg Classic this weekend at UConn, but there wasn't even a subscription option for it, much less a free streaming video - no video coverage at all. I don't understand that - if admission is free anyway to a weekend tournament, why can't they stream it on video for everyone who isn't local and able to attend the games? I would think a school would want to promote and show off their hosted tournament that way. That goes for the whole season, really - why so few free streaming videos?

I know: "If you give it away for free on a video livestream, you'll never get them to the arena to buy a ticket and attend the games". That's a valid point, if money is going to be the priority (and I know it is), but you can't fleece fans for money until you have fans, and limiting coverage to a stuttering game tracker sure isn't going to generate any new fan interest. Neither is making them pay for a monthly subscription just to watch one weekend series.

Every game of the Windjammer Classic this weekend at Vermont was video livestreamed for free, and is also available on demand to watch again. If I'm not mistaken, I think Vermont does all of their regular season games that way, too, with a real announcer who knows the game. How do they do it, especially in light of the "paid fan vs. free livestream" argument, and why then can't other schools do it, too?

Senior goalie Hannah Ehresmann was awarded her second CHA Goalie of the Week honor of the 2017-18 season, and freshman Natalie Heising was named CHA Rookie of the Week, her second award this season after being named CHA Rookie of the Month last month.

http://chawomenshockey.com/news/2017...ly-honors.aspx

Senior goalie Hannah Ehresmann was awarded her second CHA Goalie of the Week honor of the 2017-18 season, and freshman Natalie Heising was named CHA Rookie of the Week, her second award this season after being named CHA Rookie of the Month last month.
    You snuck a couple of good ones out of Minnesota in those two.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    You snuck a couple of good ones out of Minnesota in those two.
    Agreed! I think Heising understandably took a little time to get settled into D-1 hockey, but she plays now like she's comfortable. She came to Penn State with some good-looking credentials, for sure. Ehresmann has been solid in net for Penn State, and Penn State is pretty well set for goalies for the next few years, too.

Penn State has done a lot of recruiting in Minnesota over the years, especially at Minnetonka (Laura Bowman, Amy Petersen, Hannah Ehresmann, Kelsey Crow, Katie McMillan). This is the first year with no Minnetonka freshmen since Penn State's first team at D-1 in 2012-13.

Agreed! I think Heising understandably took a little time to get settled into D-1 hockey, but she plays now like she's comfortable. She came to Penn State with some good-looking credentials, for sure. Ehresmann has been solid in net for Penn State, and Penn State is pretty well set for goalies for the next few years, too.

Penn State has done a lot of recruiting in Minnesota over the years, especially at Minnetonka (Laura Bowman, Amy Petersen, Hannah Ehresmann, Kelsey Crow, Katie McMillan). This is the first year with no Minnetonka freshmen since Penn State's first team at D-1 in 2012-13.
    Did 'tonka change skippers?

That trend should continue for the next few years as Tonka has slipped quite a bit from where they were a few years ago.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

That trend should continue for the next few years as Tonka has slipped quite a bit from where they were a few years ago.
    That was a special group in 2011, 2012, and 2013. That 2013 Minnetonka senior class with Laura Bowman, Amy Petersen, Sidney Morin, and Sydney Rossman had to be a blast to coach.

Too much talent out there in other regions to continue to focus on Minnersota.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeSkates View Post
    Too much talent out there in other regions to continue to focus on Minnesota.
    I think this season's roster is the most diverse, but very Minnesota-heavy, for sure. Penn State did have a Swede for the past two seasons, but she quit the team before this season started (from what I've heard). We'll see where Jeff Kampersal does his recruiting - he's going to be inheriting the previous regime's recruits for a little while, but I'm sure he's got his own solid recruiting contacts after 21 years at Princeton.

Penn State's current roster:

9 from Minnesota
    7 from Canada
    1 from Illinois
    1 from Vermont
    1 from North Carolina
    1 from New York
    1 from Pennsylvania.

We'll see where Jeff Kampersal does his recruiting - he's going to be inheriting the previous regime's recruits for a little while, but I'm sure he's got his own solid recruiting contacts after 21 years at Princeton.
    Princeton has five players from Minnesota, including its two top scorers. Kampersal in particular liked players from Blake. I don't expect PSU to abandon Minnesota entirely under him.

The entering 2020 class will be Kampersal's first true recruiting class (outside of a change or two with the current commits or open positions) - the breakdown so far (in order of committment date) is:

Zanon - Fairport, NY (F) Selects Academy U16
    Ciarrocchi - West Chester, PA (F) Exton Elites?
    Lobdell - Aurora, IL (D) Chicago Mission U16
    Wallin - ON Canada (F) Stoney Creek Sabres
    Bothun - the sole Minnesota pick from Wyoming, MN (G)

Not that there is not great hockey in MN to keep looking at, just the fact that other regions are producing top level talent.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeSkates View Post
    Not that there is not great hockey in MN to keep looking at, just the fact that other regions are producing top level talent.
    Agreed. I think a lot of it for a coach like Kampersal who has been in it this long is that he has built relationships with coaches of club and prep teams over the years, so he may tend to go back to some of the same wells, with all else being equal. Also, players like to go to schools where there friends went. I definitely see that with the Gophers recruiting players from the province of B.C. or Chicago Mission.

Penn State is on the road, taking on RIT today and tomorrow in the final series before the holiday break. That means a homecoming for Penn State assistant coach Celeste Brown, who played for RIT until she graduated in 2015. It's kind of funny having her at Penn State - I used to chirp her when RIT would play here because she was always in beast mode and generally a pain in the arse on the ice, but very glad to have her intensity and energy behind the bench here. Maybe she'll give her former coach a good hip check when they shake hands after the game.

Penn State needs a conference win this weekend - a sweep would be even better. So far this season, they have a loss and OT tie with both Syracuse and Mercyhurst, and two OT ties against Robert Morris, and are still looking for their first conference win. It will likely be another very physical series, as most CHA series tend to be, but Penn State is a team that's up for that style now, so discipline will be a big thing.

The biggest part of Penn State's game that really needs to get going is goal scoring, and it's a good weekend to start. With eight ties on their record, that's eight games where they were one goal from a win. They're a young team (5 seniors, 2 juniors, 8 sophomores, and 7 freshmen), and they're learning a new style of hockey with a new coaching staff, but it's time to start putting points on the board. They have two solid starting goalies in senior Hannah Ehresmann (1.97 GAA) and sophomore Daniela Paniccia (1.73 GAA), so the offense needs to take advantage of the solid work the goalies are doing.

I have to think PSU is thinking sweep, this weekend. They want to crack the top three in the league, or at least distance themselves from the bottom 2 as much as possible.

Defensively, I think PSU will be too much for RIT to overcome.

As for the roster discussion above, I see PSU is the most American roster in the CHA. I wonder if the prior coach didnít recruit Canada, or if alternatively, American kids shy away from the other CHA schools in favor of PSU.

Thread Information