Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

With the hiring of former Princeton head coach Jeff Kampersal to replace Josh Brandwene at Penn State, hopefully some changes are coming. A few subjective opinions:

First and foremost, by all accounts Kampersal clearly understands the intricacies of working with NCAA D-1 women hockey players, something it seems Brandwene never figured out. That can't help but benefit a Penn State team that had to work with a coach with a less-than-stellar reputation for how he handled players on and off the ice.

As for changes in Penn State's game, I hope Kampersal comes in with a much better defensive system to replace Brandwene's "bend-bend-bend-oh sh*t" defensive system. I've always felt sorry for Penn State goalies who have had to watch their defense basically let opposing players walk unopposed (or with very minimal resistance) through the neutral zone and into the faceoff circle before they would put any kind of squeeze on the puck handler. It did get better this past season, but not much. I'd like to see a more aggressive defense that isn't back on their heels so much of the time.

On the offensive side, I hope Kampersal's system is one of constant pressure on the opposing goalie, whether that comes by shooting constantly or just scrambling in front of the net for rebounds and tips, or both. Penn State doesn't do nearly enough of either. Shot counts have been embarrassing in a lot of games, and putting intentional traffic in front of the net seems to have been a foreign concept so far. I'm pretty confident that Kampersal has a better system in mind.

Obviously, I can't speak for players, but many fans (okay, every fan) I've spoken to at games since late January are very excited for this change and excited to see what this team can accomplish under leadership that knows how to coach NCAA D-1 women hockey student-athletes.

Re: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

To me, Kampersal is a very interesting hire for PSU!

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    To me, Kampersal is a very interesting hire for PSU!
    Kampersal is a huge step forward for this program, and it's going to be exciting to see what he does with this team. It almost feels like Penn State is starting a new program again, but with a real coach this time.

The 2017-18 roster is out, and the breakdown looks like this:

9 from Minnesota
    7 from Canada
    1 from Sweden
    1 from Illinois
    1 from Vermont
    1 from North Carolina
    1 from New York
    1 from California
    1 from Pennsylvania.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Kampersal is a huge step forward for this program, and it's going to be exciting to see what he does with this team. It almost feels like Penn State is starting a new program again, but with a real coach this time.

The 2017-18 roster is out, and the breakdown looks like this:

9 from Minnesota
    7 from Canada
    1 from Sweden
    1 from Illinois
    1 from Vermont
    1 from North Carolina
    1 from New York
    1 from California
    1 from Pennsylvania.
    Penn State has a real blue chipper and major scoring threat coming with incoming freshman Natalie Heising from MN. She was easily a top 2 or 3 forward performer in the 2017 U18 World Championships IMO! Great get!

Quote Originally Posted by AAA Dad View Post
    Penn State has a real blue chipper and major scoring threat coming with incoming freshman Natalie Heising from MN. She was easily a top 2 or 3 forward performer in the 2017 U18 World Championships IMO! Great get!
    I happened to watch all of the USA games and definitely thought she stood out.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

According to the Penn State website, Natalie Heising plans to major in biomedical engineering, so she's a brainiac, too:
    http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-...111616aaa.html

When they make a video of the new coach arriving on campus, they must be excited to welcome him aboard (and, for the record, everyone really is excited):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVQGMbWB...=pennstatewhky

If you're going to be in the Penn State area on September 19, and you want to watch an NHL preseason game, Penn State/Pegula Ice Arena is hosting the Pittsburgh Penguins vs. the Buffalo Sabres:

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...061917aaa.html

One area that new head coach Jeff Kampersall is going to have to address is Penn State's inability to win game two of a series. They only did it three times all last season, and I have no idea what the fix would be. Is it a conditioning thing? A motivational thing? What gets a team on fire for game two of a series?

I don't know if you will win more game 2's next year but I imagine your win total in general will go up, with 2016/17 being a down year for PSU. I had to laugh at your comment though, because I lamented the same thing about Mercyhurst this past season. 7 splits, 5 of which they won game 1 but not game 2. One of those series was against your Nittany Lions. I suspect next year will be better for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    ...I lamented the same thing about Mercyhurst this past season...I suspect next year will be better for both teams.
    And you have Kelly Steadman leaving her job at Robert Morris and coming back to Mercyhurst as an assistant coach. I hope Penn State can start taking a real run at the CHA title now, and really challenge the perennial top teams like Mercyhurst.

And you have Kelly Steadman leaving her job at Robert Morris and coming back to Mercyhurst as an assistant coach. I hope Penn State can start taking a real run at the CHA title now, and really challenge the perennial top teams like Mercyhurst.
    There is really no reason why Penn can't be at the top of the conference every year going forward. If they were to move to the WCHA, they would be a headache for the teams in that conference from a recruiting perspective. Whether they do or not, Penn will be an attractive option for recruits.

Penn State has added Chantal Burke (Regina Rebels), a 5-9 goalie from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, to its 2017-18 roster. That puts four goalies on the team for 2017-18, including senior starter Hannah Ehresmann. In addition to Burke and Ehresmann, the other goalies are talented sophomore Daniela Paniccia and incoming freshman Cam Leonard.

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    There is really no reason why Penn State can't be at the top of the conference every year going forward. If they were to move to the WCHA, they would be a headache for the teams in that conference from a recruiting perspective. Whether they do or not, Penn State will be an attractive option for recruits.
    Speaking of the WCHA, I hope Jeff Kampersal will renew the effort to start seasons against a WCHA team, as Penn State did for a couple of years. I love the idea of jumping into the fire against top-tier programs and battling to start a season. I agree that Penn State should be an attractive draw for recruits, with top facilities and academics and finally a new (and experienced) head coach.

Penn State women's hockey head coach Jeff Kampersal has added three new members to his coaching staff.

Former RIT women's hockey captain Celeste Brown joins the staff as an assistant coach. After graduating from RIT, Brown went on to play professionally for the New York Riveters and the Connecticut Whale, and was an assistant coach at Connecticut College last season.

Allison Coomey also joins the Penn State staff as an assistant coach, after spending nine seasons as an assistant at Boston University. Coomey was a four-year letter winner while playing her college hockey at Niagara. Coomey has also been an assistant coach at Plattsburgh, Niagara, and Connecticut College.

Chris Demscuk joins the staff full-time as director of operations, after four seasons at Penn State as a student staff member.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-...070717aab.html

Head coach Jeff Kampersal sat down for a one-on-one video about his coaching philosophy and taking over at Penn State:

http://www.gopsusports.com/blog/2017...kampersal.html
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 07-13-2017 at 02:18 AM.

Really??!!
    Penn State women's hockey head coach Jeff Kampersal has added three new members to his coaching staff.

Former RIT women's hockey captain Celeste Brown joins the staff as an assistant coach. After graduating from RIT, Brown went on to play professionally for the New York Riveters and the Connecticut Whale, and was an assistant coach at Connecticut College last season.

Allison Coomey also joins the Penn State staff as an assistant coach, after spending nine seasons as an assistant at Boston University. Coomey was a four-year letter winner while playing her college hockey at Niagara. Coomey has also been an assistant coach at Plattsburgh, Niagara, and Connecticut College.

Chris Demscuk joins the staff full-time as director of operations, after four seasons at Penn State as a student staff member.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-...070717aab.html
    Impressed HC and athletic dept, really seem to have their act together

Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    Impressed HC and athletic dept, really seem to have their act together
    I wish they would get their schedule posted for 2018. I am planning on going to the Clarkson games at Penn State and would like to know the start times. Supposedly its Parents Weekend but thank God the football team is away.
    Last edited by vicb; 07-14-2017 at 04:46 AM.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014 & 2017 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    I wish they would get their schedule posted for 2018. I am planning on going to the Clarkson games at Penn State and would like to know the start times. Supposedly its Parents Weekend but thank God the football team is away.
    Just checked the Clarkson web site and they have updated their schedule to show a 6PM and 3PM start times for the 2 games.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014 & 2017 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

I don't know what's taking Penn State so long to finalize a schedule. Aren't they usually set and published by now?

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

I don't know what's taking Penn State so long to finalize a schedule. Aren't they usually set and published by now?
    waited to see if the WCHA would accept them or not
    if anybody knows any illegals needing a ride to Canada, lemme know
    ... once the migrants are in Canada they are released and can live freely while their claims for refugee status are processed, which can take years. Meanwhile, they are eligible for public assistance.

Thread Information